Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 187 total)
  • Apple event tomorrow
  • zilog6128

isn’t the iPad limited to working on 50meg images?

No. Can’t be arsed to watch the presentation again but IIRC that was specifically referring to the cut-down Photoshop tool which will be available initially. It’s (obviously) not a limitation of the device. They also said Adobe are working on new software so it’s a case of “wait and see”. IMO whatever they come up with will make or break the device as far as graphics pros are concerned.

GrahamS

^^^ I don’t believe that graphic. Do sky, humax, panasonic, youview, etc have 4.3% between them?

I’ve not read the Frost & Sulivan report but I suspect they are talking about the very specific “dedicated premium content streamer” market rather than the much vaster “everything that connects to a telly” market.

Apple TV is great, watching somebody trying to find a you tube video with the crap search function and the remote is quite funny.

The YouTube app is pretty appalling, especially the search.

It’s much easier to search for videos on your phone/tablet and then just AirPlay them to the TV.

FuzzyWuzzy

I already wish I’d bought an iPad Mini instead of iPad Air (only really use it for web browsing and games and it gets heavy quite quickly). I guess there’s some niche usage cases for the Pro but I struggle to see the point for the home market. I’d rather a laptop than an iPad I had to use with a stand/keyboard.

iPhone 6s was as expected, still holding out hope for a smaller version come the iPhone 7

GrahamS

I haven’t looked in detail at Apple TV, but what does it allow me to do my Smart TV or Xbox360 can’t?

Currently, not much, other than play nicely with the rest of the closed Apple ecosystem.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say MS got it right first time

^This

In my experience, MS are playing catch-up not on bells and whistles of their office suite, but on cross-platform cloud/sharing. Google Drive is a superb implementation of a truly productive suite of business tools that offers easy collaboration and sharing which is so critical for business/enterprise and even personal users. Of course Excel offers much more power in a spreadsheet and Word has loads more that some people need for word processing, but the adoption of Google Drive instead of Office by so many colleagues and businesses in my line of work tells an interesting story for Microsoft that they’ve no doubt had to listen to.

Apple are neither as good as MS in terms of office productivity suite functions nor as slick and easy to use for collaboration/cloud as Google. After the fanfare of the new Pages, Numbers and Keynote a year or two back, they’ve gone quite quiet on it all in my opinion, and it comes as no surprise they’ve put their eggs in the MS basket.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Genuine LOL.

explain to me, why the home user, with 600 quid to spend on a laptop, would now buy a laptop?

nickjb
    Free Member

explain to me, why the home user, with 600 quid to spend on a laptop, would now buy a laptop?

I can see how it might be a good option for someone with £600 to spend but if you have £150 – £500 then I suspect you’ll still buy a laptop. Hardly “going to kill the laptop market below 600 quid”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They do a lot more than a tablet, they are better for writing/typing, they run full versions of software, they have storage, you can use a mouse use a different photo management tool than your tablet maker wants you too. The screen sits up without holding it. Nice for doing lots of stuff and 600 quid gets you a nice spec laptop these days….
    As for any mid level business user tablets are just not there yet.

footflaps

Much more versatile, better storage, better processor power.

I’d only buy an iPad after a laptop.

zilog6128

I guess there’s some niche usage cases for the Pro but I struggle to see the point for the home market.

By calling it “Pro” they’re obviously trying to crack the business/professional market (I’d hardly call that a niche area!) so it isn’t necessarily even aimed at home use.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

By calling it “Pro” they’re obviously trying to crack the business/professional market

and how does this crack the market?

footflaps

and how does this crack the market?

All companies automatically buy any product with the name ‘Pro’ for all their staff?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah, nobody got fired for buying IBM but 400 ipads and a massive RSI claim later?

dragon
    Free Member

TBF it could be useful for sales reps or creative ad types, but it ain’t going to take over for those of us who have lots of programs open and big screens. Heck in the O&G industry in most offices (outside of the ones in the dark ages) just about everyone are running dual screens. Likewise same in a lot of Government offices.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just about everyone are running dual screens.

Imagine selling the idea that one screen gets blanked out every time you want to type something…

bencooper
    Free Member

@ben I find iPad very useful for work but most of what I do is email, document review and markup (eg with excellent iAnnotate), some report writing, custom secure apps for subscription news and data services. There where many occasions I would sit at my desk and use my iPad even with a desktop computer in front of me.

Aye, I used a keyboard with my iPad quite a bit, it wasn’t half bad for that kind of thing. Until it came to trying to copy and paste something and the touch wasn’t behaving, or an attachment wouldn’t open and couldn’t just save it to the hard drive or something like that.

As someone else said, if the iPro was running OSX it’d make more sense, running full versions of software at least instead of cut-down apps.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Just learning a bit about AirStrip on the Apple Watch. I will concede that it is quite impressive and very innovative. If that’s a sign of where wearable technology is going the next few years could be very interesting. I can’t see NHS Trusts buying them for all their Doctors just yet tho’ 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I should probably read up on airstrip in the morning when I’m more awake but I’ve just got about 5 buzzwords in every 50… but the remote monitoring stuff is up there now, the biggest part is platform agnostic in that though

andytherocketeer

As someone else said, if the iPro was running OSX it’d make more sense, running full versions of software at least instead of cut-down apps.

That was what I said iPad should have done since day 1. Effectively a laptop with a touch overlay. It’ll be in the archives on here and/or the ski forum as proof. But then I ripped the wee-wee out of the M$ surface etc. which is the only vague attempt at doing exactly that. Ignoring Ubuntu of course and their vapourware.

Impressed that some people claim to write reports etc. on one. Most use I could find for one in the enterprise *for what I do* is to display a pdf to one side of my laptop and external monitor. I could quite happily run dual 24inch monitors with full OS, preferably with one of those monitors rotatable between landscape and portrait.

GrahamS

just about everyone are running dual screens.

Only two?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYVy1EOSWXs[/video]

zilog6128

TBF it could be useful for sales reps or creative ad types, but it ain’t going to take over for those of us who have lots of programs open and big screens. Heck in the O&G industry in most offices (outside of the ones in the dark ages) just about everyone are running dual screens. Likewise same in a lot of Government offices.

I seriously doubt Apple are envisaging it replacing a conventional setup in that scenario. I’ve no doubt (from a graphics professional POV) it’s meant to be a complementary device – an additional touchscreen device that adds functionality to the 2 screen setups we’re already using. The fact that it’s portable is also a bonus.

zinaru
    Free Member

im a designer and between my phone, pad, laptop and desktop, spend an awful lot of time with apple.

for me, i think that there is a whole lot of clever stuff going on but i secretly pine for things to get simpler and more striped back. just like the old 29/650b/26 discussions, its all about the same stuff being offered at different sizes with other ‘features’. having recently upgraded my phone from a 5s to a 6, I’m reminded that my hands haven’t actually got bigger, so why has my phone?

an apple pencil? I’m easily seduced but i like the 3d touch of a 2hb pencil on a daler rowney pad – old skool or what?

was very much an apple fan boy, perhaps I’m just getting older and grumpier.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think calling it ‘Pro’ is a cynical ploy to crowed the Surface Pro market.

But the Surface Pro is more than just a bigger Surface, it has a ‘Pro’ OS for a start which means it can be networked in a work environment properly and you can have proper big, PC Processors – Intel i3, i5, and I7 processors, up to 8GB RAM and 256GB storage IS a replacement for a laptop – I share an office with 4 guys who’ve done exactly that, in the office, in it’s cradle and used with a wireless keyboard / mouse and a monitor it’s just as good to use as a desktop. On the road it’s a beast of a mobile device and the flip down mat/keyboard is just enough to knock out something more than a game of Candy Crush. I wasn’t a fan when I first saw them, but they are very good.

DrJ

I haven’t looked in detail at Apple TV, but what does it allow me to do my Smart TV or Xbox360 can’t?

In my case, connect to Netflix, which my smart (?) TV refuses to do 🙁

DrJ

The YouTube app is pretty appalling, especially the search.

It’s much easier to search for videos on your phone/tablet and then just AirPlay them to the TV.

Or use a Bluetooth keyboard paired with your AppleTV.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep, just highlights how average the tech is….

there isn’t much out there that apple really excel at, unless you count being expensive

dragon
    Free Member

I’m no Apple fan but I don’t get this complaint against the 6 being too big, it is fine IMO. The 6 plus maybe, but not the 6.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t get this complaint against the 6 being too big

Maybe apple spent a long time telling people that they made the perfect sized phone and that big phones were wrong that now they made a bigger one people have been convinced/brainwashed into thinking that

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It’s a much more compelling sell if you already use Apple Music, iCloud Photo Library etc. As usual with Apple, the more you’re in their ecosystem, the more their solutions appeal.

there isn’t much out there that apple really excel at, unless you count being expensive

I think the stuff they’re doing with Health Kit, AirStrip and all the other health related stuff has potential to be really game-changing. The most innovative stuff they’re doing is actually not for the consumer, for whom the fact something is “new” is enough for them to part with their cash.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think the stuff they’re doing with Health Kit, AirStrip

Strange Airstrip don’t mention apple as a partner

http://www.airstrip.com/airstrip-partners

Microsoft is on the list though

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^probably because they were only allowed to announce it yesterday and haven’t got a huge team of web developers ready to roll out a new site like Apple do after these events 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So it’s been announced and it’s not up?
    Pinning yourself to minority hardware isn’t that clever. Making something that works on all devices much better.

Drac

Maybe apple spent a long time telling people that they made the perfect sized phone and that big phones were wrong that now they made a bigger one people have been convinced/brainwashed into thinking that

Or maybe, just maybe people are basing it on experience of using one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Joking Drac, imagine a world where you can choose what size phone you want

DrJ

Strange Airstrip don’t mention apple as a partner

You’re right. Probably Apple were lying.

No …. wait …

http://automation.airstrip.com/9-9-15-event-landing-page2.html

… maybe mike was just stretching a bit in his usual crusade against Apple.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So unless there is another airstrip in HC

they already have massive partners in Micrsoft and Samsung?
    Not exclusive is it, not on their main page of partners

DrJ

Your point being, beyond the usual “whatever Apple do is automatically wrong”?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

my point being as stated they don’t mention apple as a partner, they might be mentioned in a sales pitch but they are in bed with windows and samsung, hardly a massive kill for apple. If I was working with them I’d have had it all over the site 15s after the announcement. One of their big claims is being platform agnostic which means they are clever and will ride whatever is going – best plan, don’t pin yourself on a specific hardware especially where competitive tender is involved.

But anyway as I said airship don’t mention apple as a partner on their list of partners they said

AirStrip was on the main stage at #AppleEvent in
    San Francisco on September 9, 2015

What does that actually mean?

DrJ

What does that actually mean?

I suppose it means that their product was demo’ed being used on Apple Watch at the Apple event in San Francisco on September 9, 2015. But hey, maybe it means something completely different?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I must admit I’m with Mike here. Either AirStrip have dropped the ball by not updating their website or there’s something they/Apple aren’t telling us.

If I was working with them I’d have had it all over the site 15s after the announcement.

Me too

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘Apple event tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.