Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anything new from Hope brakes?
  • Shred
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there is anything new coming from Hope in the brake world?  The tech 3 levers have been around since 2013 (first review of the Tech 3 E4 I could find), and the X2 calipers for longer.

I’m looking to replace my Tech Evo X2’s.  They have lasted well, but I think its time for an update, and if there is a new version coming soon I would wait, even if it is just for the discounts on the Tech 3.

otsdr
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like it – only color customization options on existing brakes and possibly the new 6 pot caliper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByEMpKHNXRE

https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/24/massive-hope-v6ti-6-piston-hydraulic-mountain-bike-disc-brakes-spotted-again/

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i saw on instagram new rotor colours, 2 tone, but that was months ago, and i’ve seen nothing since..

schmiken

I may have seen new prototype Race levers this year…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it..

ta11pau1

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it..

That is Hope in a nutshell. And if isn’t quite perfect, refine it slightly a few years later rather than releasing an ‘All new, 20% lighter, 40% stiffer!’ model. Every year.

5lab

Eh? Saint brakes have been around for 6 years!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Saint brakes have been around for 6 years!”

Yeah it’s a shame they have not yet learned to make them decent yet.

sharkattack

I’ve had loads of Hope gear but I wish brakes had more outright stopping power.

How come Trickstuff are credited with the most powerful brake on earth? And their levers are beautiful. What are they doing that Hope can’t, or don’t want to do?

twistedpencil

New hope brakes will be out shortly as I’ve just ordered a set of v4s… last set I bought were the m4s swiftly replaced by the e4s….  it’s a great habit i have with mountain bike components which started with a purchase of an orange sub5 in 2003…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

linky?

want

tomhoward

How come Trickstuff are credited with the most powerful brake on earth?

They broke the machine testing power levels 😂

I think a lot of it is sheer mechanical advantage, bigger pistons, longer lever, wider hoses, more fluid etc.

ill let you know when they arrive 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

“think a lot of it is sheer mechanical advantage, bigger pistons, longer lever, wider hoses, more fluid etc.”

Sounds heavy….. But then does weight matter when your pedaling through treacle

DickBarton

But then does weight matter when your pedaling through treacle

– depending on the quality of the treacle, you may not require brakes at all!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

They are lighter or the same weight as Hopes if I remember correctly…

the trickstuffs are 3 to 4 times the price though!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I just bought a bike set of tech 3 x2,s in black for my hardtail

i know the design hasn’t changed a great deal in a few years but they don’t look dated and work really nicely.

Bought from wiggle price matched at £116 each end seemed reasonable to me

ta11pau1

Given calipers with the same piston size, the ‘power’ comes from the lever, or correctly – the master cylinder. The bore of the master cylinder, how far the piston moves in relation to the lever movement, any ‘cam’ action (like shimano servowave) built into the lever all affect how much fluid is moved and the pressure it can provide, and how quickly the lever acts on the master cylinder.

Hydraulic brakes are pretty simple when looked at in basic terms, brake fluid doesn’t compress, so you move the piston at the lever and the only thing that can happen if the system has no leaks, is that the pistons in the caliper move.

Decrease master cylinder bore and more pressure is exerted but less fluid is moved. So you need more lever travel to then move the same amount of fluid as before, or a higher leverage ratio on the lever…

All very complex and to get the right balance of feel, modulation and power means different piston ratios/bores/leverage ratios etc.

Also, servo assisted brakes will skew the figures as they will initially feel very powerful but that’s just because the pistons are moving out very quickly initially to grab the disc. That’s bicycle servo, not car – they use vacuum servos to reduce the pressure at the pedal.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anything new from Hope brakes?’ is closed to new replies.