Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone with a Caad 12 disc
  • onandon
    Free Member

Any Good?
    Tempted but thought I’d ask the hive what there like before putting on the short list.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bump. Interested to hear from anyone who has one.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

C’mon, it’s a Cannondale CAAD; it’s unlikely to be anything other than good 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well yes, that’s why Sigmasport’s deal on a CAAD12 frameset has piqued my interest as a training bike upgrade. I need new STI and wheels anyway so timing is about right.

I’d need to be able to put some decent guards on though (not silly raceblades) and not sure this is really doable on the CAAD12 disc.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Seemingly winner winner chicken dinner without discs so can’t imagine they make it worse.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

PDWs would probably fit, but I reckon clearance with a 25c tyre would be tight.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not sure how they’d fit. There’s definitely no seatstay bridge, and I think there’s no chainstay bridge either. And there doesn’t look to be a calliper style bolt hole through the front fork either.

I’d want to fit 25mm too. I’d probably even go tubeless 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

There was quite a thread about them when released.

As above, going by CAAD10, got to be awesome (unless they built silly-little clearance into it.)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Look what just popped up on CyclingTips. Comparing the CAAD12 to the SuperSix…

Cannondale CAAD12 vs SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD: road disc bike comparison review

No mention of guards. Though the reviewer does prefer the CAAD12 colour scheme 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I post this regularly in road disc threads, but just be aware that frames like the CAAD12 might be getting discounted for a reason – if they’re built with old standards (Q/R, post mount brakes) which are just about to become obsolete. Everyone is ditching Q/Rs for bolt-through; I’ve recently bought a brand-new-for 2017 Giant Contend Disc with Q/Rs and I understand for 2018 all Giants will be bolt-through. Shimano now only seem to offer flat mount brakes. I considered buying an Enigma Evoke Disc frame bundle ‘cheap’, but I sacked that when I went shopping online for a hydro groupset to fit it, NO ONE was selling a complete Shimano disc groupset with post-mount hydros. And flat mounts are not reverse-compatible.

It looks like they use a post-mount fork (taken off the older CAAD10) and a flat mount rear

http://road.cc/content/review/182996-cannondale-caad12-disc-dura-ace

whereas in that cyclingtips comparison, the Supersix disc uses a bolt-through fork with a flat mount caliper.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks, hadn’t considered the post/flat mount thing. Assumed there’d be an adapter. Could be a bit of a pain that.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Post to flat mount adaptors are available – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-mount-adaptor-front-post-to-flat-road/rp-prod137892?gs=1&gclid=CI78ibKE99ECFRONGwodYlAIlA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Standards seem to be changing with discs, my roubaix runs QR but my diverge is bolt through. My preference is bolt through but I don’t see any issue with QR still. Cannondale are using QR rear & Bolt through front on there synapse so I guess there will be variation in wheel standards for a while until it settles down – it certainly wouldn’t stop me buying a new bike.

Those Caad frames are a real bargain, the new model Is circa £800!

onandon
    Free Member

I didn’t buy a caad 12 in the end and went for a Di2 carbon synapse disc.

wiggles
    Free Member

that is to fit a PM brake to a flat mount frame, you cant get one to go the other way around.

onandon
    Free Member

^ that’s totally true.
    However. I’m sure someone will find a way at some point.

mrblobby
    Free Member

However. I’m sure someone will find a way at some point.

I’m not sure it’s physically possible.

Ah well, may just stick with the old training bike for now. Or maybe I should start a what racey road bike with discs and guards thread 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’d have thought they could do an adapter that takes you up a rotor size like they used to with IS/PM adaptors, so you could use a 140mm flat mount caliper on a post mount with say a 160 rotor, but I wouldn’t buy a frame on the basis it might happen.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d go for it mrb, if the price is good. Afterall, it’s only a winter training bike. THere’re loads of options for post mount brakes. I’d probably go for TRP Spyre or those Juin Tech brakes as they’re cheap and reliable. You can use whatever shifters you like then.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think the guard fitment and the brake mounting issues have put me off. My old Trek might have to do for another year.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone with a Caad 12 disc’ is closed to new replies.