Home Forums Bike Forum Anyone used Balfe’s Bikes? Any good?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone used Balfe’s Bikes? Any good?
  • IHN

They’re looking promising for a mail order Cycle2Work purchase, but they’re in That There London and I’m definitely not, so just thought I’d check that they were a reputable chain. Are they?

uggski

I’ve used them for loads of stuff, never a bike though but based on what I have had from them it’s all been good.

IHN

Brill, ta

hooli

I’ve had a cycle to work bike from them, no issues. Delivered fully built in their own van rather than boxed via a courier.

mccraque

I bought my Turbo from them. They’re good.

I think their store near Gatwick is the old Evans Cycles head office building.

bensales
    Free Member

I bought a Wahoo Kickr from them a couple of years ago. Turned up quick with no problems.

Kryton57

I’ve had a cycle to work bike from them, no issues. Delivered fully built in their own van rather than boxed via a courier.

This with my Epic, with a follow up call 1 week and 6 weeks later.

bubs

Yes. They have a real life shop in my local town (replaced the previous 100 year plus independent https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/blog/finch-cycles-a-history/).

politecameraaction
    Free Member

They’re generally reputable. It’s a real company with real shops and real mechanics. They took over the (original?) Evans shop in Waterloo. Was in there the other week.

murdooverthehill

Tried to use them but their system thinks Paisley is in the Highlands & Islands and therefore they won’t ship to me so stuff them, business goes elsewhere.

avdave2

I bought one of the heavily discounted epic evo’s from them a few days ago, no issues and I went with them because they have an actual shop less than an hour away should I have any issues

poah
    Free Member

@murdooverthehill that isn’t why they won’t ship to paisley lol

J-R

I used them to buy an E-bike for Mrs R and picked it up at their Gatwick shop. They were great.

IHN

I bought one of the heavily discounted epic evo’s from them a few days ag

Funny you should say that, as the C2W thing I was looking at was one of the heavily discounted Diverge Evos. And it’s now mine :-)

(Well, I’ve paid the deposit, it will be mine when I get the voucher from work, which, thanks to the way they do that monthly cut off, won’t be until mid August , grrr)

grimep
    Free Member

I’ve got a few e-receipts for stuff I’ve bought off them, yeah they’re cool

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Any good?

They’re good in that they allow top-up on top of C2W, and they don’t surcharge sale bikes.  But at least one of the mechanics is **** woeful. The bars on my Slash turned approximately 4 degrees left and 166 degrees right because the useless fool put the KnockBlock on squint. I was amazed that the gears needed re- indexing on the second ride. Was just about to get busy with the Allen keys when I realised the rear mech was almost completely undone.  Loads of the other bolts were loose too.

But they are deeply cheap, so good so long as you can be arsed to check the build then  all is well

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.