Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone use Wesleyan for investments?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

My wife is a teacher and their recommended financial advisers are Wesleyan. She’s thinking of retiring this year so a rep from Wesleyan is coming in for a chat today.

I’ve just had a look at their charges and they seem astronomically expensive. They charge 5% for any initial investment and then an annual charge of 1.7%. So if we stick £20k in two stocks and shares isa’s next year they’ll charge £2k!

I don’t mind paying for a service but is that not ridiculous?

Hargreaves lansdown for example are nowhere near that.

johnners
    Free Member

Those are insanely high charges. Have a read of this, he mentions an average maximum charge of 3% and 1%, and that’s in a sector that isn’t shy about grabbing your money.

swillybey
    Free Member

I use Fidelity, they seem to be good.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Those are insanely high charges

Yeh that’s what I thought. Maybe they do a heavily reduced price for teachers, I’ll find out later today,

I have a mate who works for them, I’ll be questioning him next time we meet.

surfer
    Free Member

Is that for investment advice or just providing a platform for the ISA’s?

I use III they charge a fixed amount for my ISA and my SIPP. I find them very good.

Gary_M
    Free Member

For us it will be both, first £40k can go into ISA’s but we’ll need some advice on investing the rest for 5 year growth, no income required.

Trimix
    Free Member

I judge them by their fees.

If they are good they should charge low fees as they can profit from their own advice.

IHN

Those are insanely high charges

They’re not insanely high, they’re high-ish, but within the bounds of normal.

If they are good they should charge low fees as they can profit from their own advice.

If they are good they can charge high fees, as you will profit from their advice. Anyone can charge low fees for rubbish advice.

Gary_M
    Free Member

They’re not insanely high, they’re high-ish, but within the bounds of normal.

Really? £2k charge on a £40k investment.

IHN

Yeah, really. As I said, it’s high-ish for the industry, but not exceptional.

Whether you think what you’re getting is worth £2k is another question. If you don’t, shop around, or do it yourself via somewhere like Hargreaves Lansdown for much less.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you don’t, shop around, or do it yourself via somewhere like Hargreaves Lansdown for much less.

That’s the plan.

surfer
    Free Member

40k uses your first years allowance then you can invest 40k each year after. You can buy a range of funds and shares with that ISA pot.

mike_p
    Free Member

My advice would be don’t let the charlatan in the front door!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ll back them up. My wife is also a teacher and through her union gets Wesleyan financial advice for free and over the years its been invaluable.

Their advice is top notch and the advisor we had became a friend really. We’ve got money invested in their ISAs which give a LOAD better return than any ISA available on the high street as well.

surfer
    Free Member

LOAD better return than any ISA available on the high street as well.

An ISA is just a “wrapper” lots of people get excellent returns YOY by managing their own.

mudshark
    Free Member

Maybe he means cash ISAs?!

I use II having switched from HL but HL are cheaper for smaller portfolios.

poolman
    Free Member

Just manage it yourself, 5% fee is what my weighted avg yield is pa so i wouldnt surrender 1 years divi as a fee. Ftses at record high so you ll be paying 5% if they lose your money.

Theres been as good advice on here as anywhere.

johnners
    Free Member

Yeah, really. As I said, it’s high-ish for the industry, but not exceptional.

For percentage charging, the FCA found average charges for initial advice are 1 per cent minimum and 3 per cent maximum. For ongoing charges, the average rates are 0.5 per cent minimum and 1 per cent maximum.

I’d call 66% higher than the average maximum for the initial investment and 70% higher than the average yearly charge insanely high, and I’d certainly hope it would be exceptional. I accept your threshold for insanity may be higher than mine.

That ongoing charge compounded will absolutely cripple your investment growth.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ouch!

Use monevator to compare brokers http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/

I’ve got an iWeb Stocks and Shares ISA account and am in passive investing mode, buying Vanguard trackers with low annual charges i.e. 0.25% or lower.

Watch the Lars “Investing demystified” videos and then buy Vanguard VWRL EFT 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_chiIIxMGl0[/video]

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ll back them up. My wife is also a teacher and through her union gets Wesleyan financial advice for free and over the years its been invaluable.

Their advice is top notch and the advisor we had became a friend really. We’ve got money invested in their ISAs which give a LOAD better return than any ISA available on the high street as well.

I think you might want to check that…

As above, use one of the online platforms (HL are very good but it bit more pricey than some) iWeb have just improved their site and make a £25 a/c opening charge, and then only £5 per trade.
    Read the weekend money pages, and you’ll soon get a grasp of the lingo. Read the FT. It doesn’t talk the bollox you usually read regarding investing. John Authers and Merryn Somerset Webb are particularly worth listening to.
    Work out what your risk tolerance is by making some small initial investments. Getting started is the worst bit. Having 10% wiped off you portfolio (AS will surely happen at some point) before you’ve made any significant gains will really test your nerve. When you’re already well ahead it’s tiresome rather than catastrophic.
    Resist the urge to meddle. Buy and hold!

greentricky
    Free Member

Read Monevator and then read Monevator some more and take it from their if you don’t want to do anything to adventurous

Gary_M
    Free Member

Chap was very helpful, said he would come to the house when my wife gets her lump sum, no obligation, etc, told my wife his advice is free, etc. investment fees were not discussed. It’s worth listening what he has top say.

We’ve got money invested in their ISAs which give a LOAD better return than any ISA available on the high street as well.

When you say ‘a LOAD better return’ can you quantify that in percentage terms, what % return are you getting and how much better is it than the average return?

I am leaning towards £40k this year in S&S isa, sticking the rest in the bank, then another £40 next year in S&S isa.

allthepies
    Free Member

ISA limit this tax year is around £16k

Edit: £15,240

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Aren’t Wesleyan ‘the company’ in Alien?

mactheknife

There are other ways of playing with your money. I am a complete novice but i work in the oil and gas sector and i recognised that Shell shares were at a near ten year low about 18 months ago and that along with having some cash spare i invested in a bunch of their shares. Luckily i was bang on as they rose substantially this year but that wasn;t the main reason for buying them. It was their quarterly dividends that were then reinvested.

I have now sold most and moved them to something else for the time being but for long term investing then have a look at which companies give a good dividend return. Money makes money, i was very slow in either caring or figuring this out.

I also have a stocks and shares ISA with Hargreaves and Lansdown which in the last year has gone bonkers. 15% rise i think BUT as we all know that amount of growth wont last too much longer but the ISA is a very long term thing for me.

mike_p
    Free Member

…told my wife his advice is free, etc. investment fees were not discussed.

Wakey wakey… you’re getting sucked in, these parasites don’t work for free. Run and hide, don’t make the mistake that DBW has, full-on Stockholm syndrome visible there!

IHN

Parasites? Get over yourself.

allthepies
    Free Member

Weyland 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

I also have a stocks and shares ISA with Hargreaves and Lansdown which in the last year has gone bonkers. 15% rise i think BUT as we all know that amount of growth wont last too much longer but the ISA is a very long term thing for me.

My returns last year were even better than that, there is no reason why they cant continue as long as you choose the correct stocks/funds at the right time. That is pretty impossible to do but there is almost always a stock that is rising quickly. Like you my investments are medium/long term and split between my SIPP and my ISA to hopefully give me a good tax free return when I retire in around 8-10 years.
    Internet trading takes quite a lot of risk out of investing (unless things go catastrophic over a few days) and with a reasonable stop loss strategy ou have the option to cash out within a short space of time. As someone said above dividends (combined with compound returns) and not trading regularly are the key. I take Terry Smith’s advice. Invest in companies that have already won!

Gary_M
    Free Member

ISA limit this tax year is around £16k

Edit: £15,240

When I say this year I’m talking 2017/18 tax year.

There are other ways of playing with your money.

I know, but I don’t want to play with it and I’m happy to pay an expert for what they’re good at, just not happy to pay as much as wesleyan charge 🙂

Wakey wakey… you’re getting sucked in,

I’m wide awake and not getting sucked into anything. Advice is free, investing with them isn’t.

mudshark
    Free Member

15% rise i think BUT as we all know that amount of growth wont last too much longer

FTSE 100 up 20% in last 12 months – mostly due to fall in sterling. One of my US funds is up 48%!

surfer
    Free Member

FTSE 100 up 20% in last 12 months – mostly due to fall in sterling. One of my US funds is up 48%!

I saw a rise of around 42% which is fantastic. My long term plan is 10%pa so this certainly helps 🙂

mike_p
    Free Member

Parasites? Get over yourself.

IFA, by any chance?

Gary_M
    Free Member

My long term plan is 10%pa so this certainly helps

Ambitious, I’m basing future income on 4% growth, but in reality likely to be around 7% long term.

IHN

Nope, I’m not an IFA, but I’m comfortable with the concept of someone charging a fee to do something for you that you don’t have the knowledge, skills and/or desire to do for yourself. It’s called ‘business’.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Parasites? Get over yourself Acid for blood.

FTFY

Weyland

I know. The similarity tickled me. 😉

surfer
    Free Member

Ambitious, I’m basing future income on 4% growth, but in reality likely to be around 7% long term

Maybe but my average over the last 5 years has been 15%+ Of course I dont have huge amounts invested but 10% for the next 8-10 years looks realistic based on the last 5. Compound interest 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh you gotta love Compound interest 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

I’m wide awake and not getting sucked into anything. Advice is free, investing with them isn’t.

I’m sure you’re going in with your eyes open but providing financial advice incurs liability so usually has a cost. If they’re really offering “advice” within the FS definition of the term I expect it’ll be limited to which of their own company’s products is least worst for you.

It might be worth investing in a couple of hours of a whole-of-market Financial Adviser’s time.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It might be worth investing in a couple of hours of a whole-of-market Financial Adviser’s time.

I’ll go out for a pint with my mate, who works for wesleyan 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use Wesleyan for investments?’ is closed to new replies.