Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone tried the new 5 10 Impact XIVs yet?
  • Northwind

They look, basically, the absolute business. But I am a skinflint and they’re £90. If they last as long as my Impact did before they dissolved, that’d make me cry blood, but if they’re as well made as my Freeriders it’s probably OK…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, mine are great so far. Also surprisingly light, noticeably over a freerider too.

My original impacts are still going strong (insides dissapeared a while ago but it hasn’t affected them really) whereas I managed to wreck a pair of the later freeriders in less than 12 months (albeit with a lot of use). I like these new ones a lot though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Got a pair of freerider elements VXI recently, was out riding on Arran last night, which was their first proper wet ride. They are brilliant, really light, comfy and my feet were bone dry at the end of the ride too. Well pleased with them.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Bit of a bump I know, but I’m about to pull the trigger on these.

Can anyone tell me what the sizing is like? Usually take a 45 in Shimano, are these the same? Thanks.

Northwind

I got a set, so far, not too impressed tbh. The rubber’s sticky of course and the construction is much better than older Impacts, and far lighter… But the sole seems overly stiff and plasticky, and very lacking in feel. I guess they might break in? Going to give them a few more rides to see if they grow on my but right now I really don’t like riding them on harder stuff, I feel pretty disconnected from the bike.

The fit is a bit weird… The toe box is really big, and the arch support is really far back- I can feel it under the front of my heel, rather than under my arch. It’s built into the shape of the shoe so not adjustable at all. Never had a shoe that feels like it, not sure it’s a problem but it’s weird.

Oh- they are hot. Which should be good for winter but sweaty feet in summer.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair that I’ve worn pretty much ever day for 6 weeks – they are the lightest 5:10 shoe I’ve had and do dry out quicker than most – certainly not waterproof in any way though. I prefer the new sole that does have some off the bike grip.

But, a friend of mine who has had a pair for the same period as me has noticed that the sole is very thin and is now torn in a few places by pedal pins. Once the water gets in, the sole will detach soon after unfortunately – so probably a warranty job for him.

I had a similar issue the Freerider Elements, the shoes do seem to be improving, but are far from perfect.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you want a softer sole that’s what the freerider is for? The impact has always been the stiffer soled shoe, which IMO is a good thing.

Northwind

I’ve had old Impacts and they weren’t like this either. I don’t specifically want a soft sole, just not lacking in feel like these seem to be (I’ve never had a cycling specific shoe that felt like this before- in fact it reminds me of riding in my trailbuilding steelies)

Not writing them off of course, this is all first impressions but so far they seem a step back from the old Impacts, comically flawed as those were.

stevede
    Free Member

I noticed (because I’m a saddo) that Sam Hill is still running the old version of his signature impacts rather than the new ones which seems odd considering the black and blue ones are his model so I’d like to think they would’ve managed to secure him a pair! Maybe he prefers the older version and maybe I should get a life 🙂

brant
    Free Member

I’ve had old Impacts and they weren’t like this either. I don’t specifically want a soft sole, just not lacking in feel like these seem to be (I’ve never had a cycling specific shoe that felt like this before- in fact it reminds me of riding in my trailbuilding steelies)

I have a pair of Fiveten Freerider Vxi that I got on clearance from 18bikes.

Took em out yesterday and felt a whole lot disconnected from bike than with my old 5:10s. Though those are six years old now.

Maybe I will feel better about them in four years or so.

Quick comparison shows stiffer sole and less padding. Should be much more fun after wet days. Where my originals feel like sponges. Hey ho.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Whooops, already ordered them.

Will have to have a look when they land. Coming from AM41s, never worn 5 10s before so will have to see.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Arrived today and fit well, feel comfy enough round the house but it will be the weekend before I get to try them out properly.

They don’t feel that much stiffer now than my rotting AM41s so hopefully they will loosen up a bit?

They do ‘look’ big though especially at the toe which is what put me off the older versions, but then again it’s more how they perform. I can feel the arch support too but fortunately it’s in the right place for me.

Bit 50/50 whether to send them back or just give them a few rides out.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thank goodness for this thread, I think I will have to wait for more real life reviews for this new impact

matther01
    Free Member

^^^ +1 for this thread too! Was going to pull the trigger but my 3 year old AM41s may have to last me a bit longer!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I take it back, side by side the the AM41s they don’t look too bad, fink it’s just my milk bottle white ankles make them look big.

Not sure I’m enduro enough for the blue laces though 😯

Potdog
    Free Member

I have to agree that the feel of the VXi’s is a little disconnected. It gets better with use, but not as “connected” as the standard Freerider.

Northwind

WEnt for another ride today… Starting to get used to it, but I don’t think I’m ever going to choose them for downhill or other hard riding, they might just be my XC Flats or something or I might just ditch them. Total bummer tbh.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Still giving mine a big thumbs up. They are just a big, general all round improvement on the old impacts. I went back to my old impacts after 3 pairs of Freeriders & the sole being too flexible for what I wanted.

Still maintain those who want the more flexible sole/feel should look at the Freerider model.

davosaurusrex

Useful thread. I’ve got a pair of old impacts that are heavy, bulky and like sponges in the rain – same as everyone else’s. But they still feel great on the bike. Bought some barely used standard freeriders a few weeks back but too flexible for my size 12s, feet were wrapping around the pedals too much, just using them as a pair of trainers now. Was sorely tempted by the impact vxi but going to wait for more feedback on the specialized 2fo after reading this.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Free rider VXI elements are really excellent, I never had the pleasure of the spongey, cardboardy five 10’s, so can’t compare, but they are a big improvement on the shimano am45’s they replaced. I really liked the Maltese falcons too, but wanted to give flats a proper try to fend off knee issues.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Got a set in the CRC sale to replace a 3 year old pair of freeriders that had developed fairly large holes in the bottom. Had them out for a couple of rides now and I’m thoroughly impressed. Much much lighter! Haven’t tried them in the wet yet but imagine they’ll dry quick. Seem to fit my feet well, the toe box is large which can make the rear of the foot feel a bit like it’s not being held, but it seems to be. First ride definitely felt different from my old shoes but by the end of yesterday’s I was pretty convinced that everything was going to work out with them.

Going out again in an hour, but first impressions are: lighter, more robust and still stick like Velcro – no blown off feet to report. They do seem stiffer so maybe that’s where the lack of ‘feel’ reports are coming from.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Bit of an update, had a few rides out now and very impressed.

Ended up sending back the 45’s and going for the 44’s, seem a tad bigger compared to Shimanos sizing but that could just be me.

Never had trouble with the grip using the AM41s but the VXIs have miles more grip in comparison, it’s almost awkward to adjust your feet.

Really comfy just to walk round in too and feel like they have a bit more protection than the AM41s.

Big thumbs up.

muddy9mtb

wow the pictures above make the “website” photo’s look photoshopped?! they look way bigger than the pictures. I’m in the market for some new ones now my 510 impacts have split after 4 years of rain sodden mud and s***. anyone noticed any difference from the buyout by adidas some years ago? http://blog.adidas-group.com/2012/11/reviewing-the-first-year-after-adidas-five-ten-acquisition/

Northwind

FWIW muddy, I think the newer shoes are much higher quality and better made. I don’t like the new design at all, I’d choose the old flawed models over this, but that’s a matter of taste only- that aside, the new ones are a better product.

matther01
    Free Member

Must admit my recent CRC vouchers are likely to go on these…as I can’t really wait for the spesh 2fo. Had to re-apply the superglue to the AMs again today!

Bigmantrials

Matther01, There are some Specialized 2FO’s available now, I got mine on friday from the Specialized concept store in Birmingham! Here is my initial thoughts:

Specialized 2FO First Ride Impressions

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

FBought some in Morzine this year after the conditions killed my freerides! Delighted with them, much lighter than they look, super tough and miles more weather resistant than the freerides were. You do get a lot of mud rattling round under your foot tho… After 12 months on flats I’ve decided to go back to Spuds so was out in my AM45 wellies this weekend but the 5 10s are much nicer feel.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried the new 5 10 Impact XIVs yet?’ is closed to new replies.