Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone switched from Lyriks to Revelations?
  • Gnnr

Thinking my Lyrik forks may be a tad too much for my 5spot and my minicing riding skills.

Anyone done this, if so how did you find the weight loss vs damping etc of the Lyriks.
    Getting slightly fed up dragging such a heavy fork over essentially XC trails.

I am quite a big lad tho, so wondering if I should just stick with the Lyriks (coil), if so am I am on the wrong spring weight if I never get full travel – I’m using a Firm spring but never seem to use the last inch according to the dust/crud on the stanchions. Both compression dials are wound off.

Cheers G

Gnnr

anyone?

Jammy111
    Free Member

which lyriks and which revelations?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got coil Lyriks on one bike and 150mm Revs on another.

2 very different forks for different types of riding IMO. Not far apart in performance (although the Lyriks are better damped) but one is a burly fork fror a burly bike and the other is a lightweight long travel XCandabitmore fork.

Lyrik is noticeably stiffer, in fact FAR stiffer. But my new Revs are by far the best air fork I’ve ever used

Only you can decide! 🙂

Vortexracing

I had some domains on my 5 spot for a couple of ride and now have revelations on.

The bigger fork does make difference, the damping was eqaul in both forks, the bigger ones just seem to plough through stuff a bit easier.

I’m more than happy with my revs though. They are more capable than me. 😳

pastcaring
    Free Member

no experience of the lyriks but…

the rev was ok but felt it was a bit noodlely,imo could of done with a bit more compression. it was either not enough or locked out. personally i wouldn’t sacrifice stiffness for a smallish weight loss.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have ridden both of the forks and i weigh 225lbs and i am 6ft2.For trail/xc the revelations were excellent,a little bit of flex under hard braking,but a very good fork,The Lyriks are overkill for xc/trail,they are very stiff but are more an All mountain/Fr fork.
    If you are xc/trail riding i would definetely go for the Revelations,I sold mine and brought some Bos Devilles reduced down to 140mm,heavier than the Revs but are an amazing fork and at a good price at the moment

geetee1972
    Free Member

I did make the switch you’re talking about, twice as it happens. First time was from a Fox 36 to a Revelation 9mm and then from a Lyrik to a Fox 32.

It really depends on what you’re doing. The first time I made the switch I didn’t really notice the lack of stiffness going from a Fox 36 with 20mm axle to the Revelation with a 9mm axle as I wasn’t really doing anything stressful, like jumps, drops etc.

Then several years later when I went from the Lyrik to the 32 I really noticed the fork flexing significantly on steep drop ins, fast compressions and landing jumps, especially front wheel first into a steep transition. This is all stuff I’ve been doing on my trail bike since I made the first switch.

Ironically, the only place where I didn’t find the Fox 32 unduly flexy was on fast rocky descents. Yes it deflected more than the Lyrik, but it wasn’t a hinderance to acurate line choice.

So if you’re not doing jumps, drops, steep drop ins etc, then I would say you’ll be fine on either a Fox 32 or a Revelation and even if you are, unless your heavy (like me – 100kg) or really going hard on the landings, it’s not really a problem. The damping in the Lyrik maybe a little better, but I’d be amazed if it was significant enough to influence your decision.

Gnnr

Thanks for the response, all food for thought.

The Lyriks are coil U-Turn, riding mainly at Glentress and Inners, some further afield long Scottish days out and the odd trip to Laggan.

The bike is a DW 5spot and I know it suits the 150mm length almost perfectly. I tried some 140mm forks (Thors = rubbish/divetastic) on it to start with but it was too twitchy with loads of pedal strikes. The Lyriks have been great for everything but long grinding climbs are painful. I can’t help thinking that the bike would really benefit from losing a couple of lbs.

With the 10% of at Merlin I can afford some new forks without breaking the bank.
    Are 150mm revelation’s with a 20mm axle really that noodlely?

z1ppy

Only have Rev 140’s with 20mm axle, but I wouldn’t call them noodly by any stretch of the imagination. They might not be as stiff as Lyric’s but to call the noodly is a bit of a joke, what would std QR forks like in comparison… rubbery?

convert

I have a 2009 5spot with 2010 blackbox Revs. Started riding 5spot with a coil pike.

I know you canuse lyriks on a dw 5spot and many swear by it but imo its not the right frame for it. Or rather, if you are a lyrik kind of rider riding lyrik kind of terrain it will make it feel better but there are better frames for you out there. I’m a mostly wheels on the ground trail riding kind of rider, as is my bike – so the Rev seems to make more sense than anything tougher. New 5spot with slacker angles might change this though I guess.

pastcaring
    Free Member

went from an old fox 36 to the rev then to a bos deville…

so to me they felt noodley/flexy. i weigh 195 lbs, average rider, not rad gnar core 😀

Northwind

I’ve been swapping back and forth between my Revelation Teams and my coil Lyriks, they get rotated onto whatever bike is currently being most GNAR. Both very good forks.

First of all, my 2-step Lyriks inevitably exploded so I converted them to coil u-turn and after everyone telling me how much more supple the coil would be, I was a wee bit surprised to find there’s no difference worth mentioning. But on the plus side, the spring’s less likely to blow up 😉

The damping performance is pretty similiar between the Blackbox and Mission Control… Different adjustment methods though, the Lyrik feels just a little more controlled under hard use but not drastically.

Stiffness obviously is the big difference. Now, I weigh 10 stone so I’m not exactly twisting the forks with my awesome power and weight, but, while I think you’d need tin hands not to feel the difference I don’t think it matters as much as you’d expect. For outright DH use and comparable terrain the Lyriks do outshine the Revs but the Revs are never incapable of the job.

It’s a tradeoff, neither’s better or worse but I reckon the Revs are more generally useful. I’m still in 2 minds but if I could only keep one there’s no chance at all I’d choose to keep the Lyriks.

Gnnr

Thanks Northwind I guess that’s my dilemma, it’ll have to be one fork in, one fork out… otherwise Mrs G will go mental.

Currently looking at the RevXX at Merlin for £440 its not got the Black Box gubbins. I don’t think any of their 150mm forks have the BB only motion control.

I’m assuming that will be good enough and I can upgrade the damping later if I really feel the need.

Vortexracing

My advice would be get the BlackBox damping. Especially if your riding involves rocky drops. They never fell out of their depth damping wise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone switched from Lyriks to Revelations?’ is closed to new replies.