Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Anyone seen this happen before?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No details because I’m waiting to see what the manufacturer has to say, but I’m baffled by it. It’s a seat post. Any ideas?

IMG_1443 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

qwerty
    Free Member

Road salt?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is that what they call carbon ‘delamination’?

wwaswas

wrong type of grease – it’s started to delaminate?

LoCo
    Free Member

ali post in a steel frame? bit dry and the anodising comes off exposing bare metal underneath and causing bimetallic corrosion, maybe?!

Or is it carbon and wrong type of grease used, and delam? cheap carbon?

project
    Free Member

If you take iron tablets ,your pooh looks like that.

stevious

Guinness poo

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

carbon

Nope

in a steel frame?

Nope

fasthaggis

I would go for a mixture of what GT and Waswas said 😯

Edit > is that an alu post from a carbon frame then ?<

LoCo
    Free Member

what frame material, post material and grease if any used? and wheres it been ridden? we need details 😛
    no need to mention manufacturers as still at warranty enquiry stage 😉

wwaswas

I’d be more worried about the state of the inside of the seat tube…

Paceman
    Free Member

+1 how is the seat tube looking?? 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ally post
    Carbon frame
    Ridden in the South, mainly Tunnel Hill, South Downs. Once in the Peaks and once in the Qs, and a few times in the Purbecks and Chilterns IIRC
    It’s hardly been ridden since June as I broke my ankle then it rained for 6 months
    I generally don’t grease seat posts and no info was supplied suggesting that I should, but I do clean them.

wwaswas

I generally don’t grease seat posts

you will now…

tonyg2003

carbon post for carbon bikes! No real issues then.

LoCo
    Free Member

I’d put money on the anodising being faulty then, got any picture with it clean to have a look at the state of the metal underneath?

Why no grease?

Paceman
    Free Member

Carbon paste in future eh 😉

fasthaggis

ah ,so it could be that the frame tube was de-laminating because of some contamination coming from the post.

bigyinn
    Free Member

By the looks of the machined ribs it could be a Thomson seatpost?
    I’ve never seen a post do that before, im guessing its out of your c456?
    Bit of an odd one, looks like the surface is flaking off. I’d be inclined to send that pic to the manuf to look at.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LoCo, that IS clean!

I’d be more worried about the state of the inside of the seat tube…

Inside of the seat tube is utterly perfect, but thanks for shitting me up! 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Weird, what’s the bb shell like as would give an indication if anything has got in and caused the issues.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

so it could be that the frame tube was de-laminating because of some contamination coming from the post.

No. That’s not off the frame, it’s like the ‘machined surface’ of the post is flaking off, like fish scales.
    It looks like some form of corrosion of the alloy.

wwaswas

I do clean them.

with Cilit Bang?

toys19
    Free Member

looks like aluminium to me, was it in a carbon frame? But could happen in a normal frame, does it get moved up and down a lot? Do you want a PDF on aluminium corrosion?

Aluminium forms a self coating of Aluminium oxide, if this gets rubbed off it will do it again and you can get this type of pitting.

Alloys are more susceptible to corrosion than pure aluminium, and you can get bimetallic between two aluminium alloys.

Tell us more..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LoCo, BB shell is a sealed insert with no access that I can see to the seat tube.

I generally don’t grease seat posts

you will now…

No, I won’t. I’ve had more bikes than I can count and never and never had any sort of seatpost issue. But I won’t be buying this again. 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

[makes note to check greaseless/ pasteless ally post in carbon frame when gets home]

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Easton post?

fasthaggis

If it’s a weird oxidization happening ,it may be down to the way that the post is manufactured,but it still looks like it has had some sort of contamination to start it off.

bigyinn
    Free Member

What post is it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

with Cilit Bang?

LOL! 🙂

Nope. Just the same soapy water I clean all my bikes with. I don’t even use Muc Off and the like very often.
    I do move the post, but not often. Only to get the bike on the bike rack usually. Maybe once a month?

The black anodising had sort of gone all ‘soft’ and was rolling up in chunks, like dry skin when you soak your feet (Mmmm nice…) so I thought I’d clean it off, and found this.

toys19
    Free Member

It might be down to thermal stress too, the alloy has a higher coeff LTE than the oxide/anodizing but it needs to get pretty warm for this to happen..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What post is it?

As OP, I’m not saying until the manufacturer gets back to me.

To be frank, I don’t actually give a rat’s ass about it. It’s just annoying.

fasthaggis

What post is it?

If the anodising was rolling up in chunks,then it probably is an Easton 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Wheres the picture gone?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dunno

IMG_1443 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Handily I have a rather nice Race Face post spare.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Detergent from the rear windscreen wiper eating away at the alloy?

chief9000
    Free Member

My guess would be galvanic corrosion. It happens when you put Al and carbon together. In all serious applications one would apply a glass surface veil to any surface in contact with aluminum. I would be surprised if there was a surface veil on the inside of your seat tube.

chief9000
    Free Member

Another though, probably the OEM will not know what it is. You would be surprised how little they know about material science 😕

andyl
    Free Member

I believe the BB insert is wrapped in GRP to isolate it from the carbon and would expect the head tube to be too.

For the record I’ve had a Thomson post in my C456 for 2 years. Don’t take it out/move it often but it’s absolutely perfect. Need to remember to put some assembly paste on the Reverb before I take it out properly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My guess would be galvanic corrosion. It happens when you put Al and carbon together. In all serious applications one would apply a glass surface veil to any surface in contact with aluminum. I would be surprised if there was a surface veil on the inside of your seat tube.

Another though, probably the OEM will not know what it is. You would be surprised how little they know about material science

CanI quote you on that? 🙂

But no, in this case I wouldn’t be surprised how little they know in the slightest, if I’m honest.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seen this happen before?’ is closed to new replies.