Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone running Spank wheels?
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve been looking to get some new wheels for a couple of weeks now and had decided on pro 2 evo on flows, weight price and durability seem right for my use so seemed to make sense. I then pick up a bike mag and read a wheelset grouptest which gives pro 2s 7/10 and spank oozy evos 10/10 and can’t praise them enough! So I’ve had a look around and still can’t find anything but good reviews. So I reckon they might be worth my extra 100 quid.
    Does anyone have them? Any good?

matther01
    Free Member

No…but thinking they might be my next upgrade…even if i go 650b as they get good write ups too.

warns74
    Free Member

Just been through the exact same process with the exact same wheel options! Had previously decided on Flox EX on pro 2’s and like you had my eyes opened to the Spank option! Ive not yet found a single bad review or any reason not buy them plus they are (claimed) 200g lighter than the Flow EX’s, (in 29″).

Placed my Spank order last night……

chrishc777
    Free Member

Think I’m sold then… I’ll see if the LBS can get them in later.
    Cheers

warns74
    Free Member

No problem, I bought on-line in the end and got a good deal, so if your LBS cant sort them for you then feel free to drop me a line.

chrishc777
    Free Member

So the LBS will do them for the same price as online, however they aren’t available in black for another month (LBS or online). However the rims are, and for 100 quid less than the wheelset they’ll build me some pro 2 evos onto the spank oozy rims with dt double butted spokes. No brainer I reckon….. Anyone disagree?

warns74
    Free Member

Yep, that sounds like a no brainer!
    Im lead to believe mine are arriving early next week, but if not I will be in touch for details of your LBS!

wiggles
    Free Member

Wasn’t the point of the review the spank hubs were better than hope? So putting the spank rims on hope hubs doesn’t make sense to me…

I did skim read so might be totally wrong

crankrider
    Free Member

Was tempted but hope with stans are cheaper and i love the adaptability of hope stuff…

warns74
    Free Member

wiggles – I think the review highlighted the pick up on the hope hubs being a little slower and the stans rims being softer. I interpreted chrishc777’s post in that he couldnt get the complete spank wheels, so whilst going for the Hope Hubs as a compromse he also saved £100 on the overall spank wheelset. Still think he’ll end up with a decent set of light, strong wheels and there is no shortage of love for hope hubs on here either! Maybe a better option would be the new 40T hope hubs?

jimthelad
    Free Member

I’m on Pro2’s with Oozy’s. Only one ride in but they seem ace. Nice and light, and reportedly bomb proof.

proflexforever
    Free Member

ive got the spank spoon 32 wheelset and there super..
    really strong ..no wheel flex at all…i had pro2’s on Mavic x819 and had flex when cornering…
    they weigh about 600grams more than my pro 2’s
    but im a fat S**t so i like the extra strength and stiffness

there not the oozy obviously but Spanks wheels are good is what im saying…lol

tovey
    Free Member

I bought a set yesterday in silver. I’ve been looking around for wheels forever and finally took the plunge. was going for som hope hoops but after a side by side in the shop the Spanks won it. Spent a couple of hours out on them today and i’m well impressed. They’re light, tight and wicked quick. Running them with tubes at the min but i’ll be going tubless once these tyres are done. They came with QR adaptors for the front and rear, and 15mm up front and 12mm 142 as well. I’m running them with a 15mm up front with the QR out back. Looking on the web you can get 20mm for the front too, although no 10mm 135, at least not as far as i can tell. The spanks are noticably stiffer than the superstar and xt wheels i’ve replaced, I’ve actually noticed the flex in the frame now coming from some worn out bearings.

So far I’m pretty chuffed with my decision. If you’ve got the dollars then you can’t go wrong.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m on Spank Ozzy rims with Chris King hubs and ACI stainless spokes, wheels made by me 😀

They’ve been hammered for the last five years on my hardtail and are now on my Blur and still remain undamaged and true. I’ve never had to tweek them!

Maybe it’s a super build, maybe the rims are stiff, I don’t know but I am considering taking them with me to the Alps next year instead of my very heavy hope pro 2 hubs with Mavic 729 rims wheel set.

twoniner
    Free Member

I ran Spank OOzy rims on hope pro 2’s a few years back on my Pace 506. Cracking rims and really stiff. I’d have them again. I’m using the Spike bars on both bikes and the new Oozy stem on the Tallboy.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Should be picking them up next week. Reading the reviews carefully all the praise is about the rims, the hubs are said to be good but there’s no hype at all, it’s all about how great the rims are. Pro 2s however are hailed everywhere, only letdown being the slow pickup, but i’m getting the new 40t pickup ones for the same price! In the end they came up almost as expensive as the oozy wheelset as the bloke who did my first quote got a bit muddled up. However i’m convinced that the pro 2 evos with 40 odd percent better pickup will be ace and much better than the spanks. I also got to choose colours of everthing so black spokes hubs and rims with red nips should look ace! Sure I can trust the guys to do an excellent build too. Should come up under the 1700g mark if my calculations are correct, and i’m sure my d521s on bulbs are at least half a kg heavier!

edward2000
    Free Member

Thread revival… Meh

My Spank OOzys came yesterday. They are so much lighter than the Hope Pro2 evos on Mavic X719…. Cant wait to go for a ride on them. They look prety sick too.

Anyone want to buy my Pro 2/719 combo?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running Spank wheels?’ is closed to new replies.