Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • anyone run tubeless without sealant?
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

Ive got tubeless rims and TL ready tyres that are fully inflated – but no sealant at the moment! what do you reckon my chances are of getting round a ride without any flats! daft question i know, but just wondered if anyone runs tubeless regularly without the sealant?

uplink
    Free Member

I reckon you have about the same chance as you would running tubes

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yeah thats what i was thinking – gonna take some tubes anyhow 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I ran UST rims and tyres wihtout sealant for ages. Just take a tube.

boxfish
    Free Member

I did the same until I got a thorn puncture that also holed the tube I put in…now I use sealant.

Garry_Lager

Back in the day (like 10 years ago) mavic actually said UST was not to be used with sealant – I think over concerns that some sealants could corrode the tyre.

So no sealant is fine. It does seem to generally maintain the bead sealing to the rim though – cuts down on mini air burps or something similar.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yeah that was a concern GL, but i run quite high pressure anyway (35psi-ish!)soim hoping that wont be an issue!

glenh
    Free Member

Why would you not want to run sealant?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i just dont have any at hand! i will do eventually

Northwind

Tubeless Ready tyres are normally designed only for use with sealant… But it might be fine, who knows?

ken_shields
    Free Member

I ran tubeless and ran without sealant and got a flat 🙁

grum
    Free Member

I’ve run mine for ages when the sealant has all dried up.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve run mine for ages when the sealant has all dried up.

That’s slightly different though, as the sealant has already done a job by this point. Only thing it isn’t going to do is fix a new thorn puncture, but it’s already stopped the tyre being porous.

I was a fairly early adopter of UST, around 2003 I think, and ran UST without sealant for a while as was yet to be convinced of the need for it. A couple of thorn punctures put paid to that, and when I realised just how heavy proper UST tyres were (fine for DH, less so for XC), I decided lighter tyres and sealant was on the whole the way to go…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I was a fairly early adopter of UST, around 2003 I think, and ran UST without sealant for a while as was yet to be convinced of the need for it. A couple of thorn punctures put paid to that, and when I realised just how heavy proper UST tyres were (fine for DH, less so for XC), I decided lighter tyres and sealant was on the whole the way to go…

+1

njee20
    Free Member

Similar to PMJ and mboy, I got some very early Crossmax USTs in 2001, there was only 1 UST tyre, the idea of sealant didn’t really exist. I got few flats, but tyres were heavy. Had a couple of tyres develop tiny leaks and it was infuriating trying to find out where they came from. I nearly trashed the rim putting 80psi into a UST tyre which subsequently exploded, whilst looking for a leak!

Then went to an ‘Eclipse’ system about 2003 with non-UST tyres and sealant, loads more faff, but saved tonnes of weight. Then got Stan’s rims. That was a revolution.

I’d not run a non-UST tyre without sealant and expect any longevity. But all that’ll happen is you’ll puncture, so take a tube, and see what happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘anyone run tubeless without sealant?’ is closed to new replies.