Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Dark-Side

Geometron can also now supply a short travel version of the G1 with 145mm/158mm travel.

I initially contacted Geometron regarding the G15 but ended up with a G1, in the end the flexibility of the travel/wheel size/geo won me over.

null

mattvanders
    Free Member

What’s the different for you to run the shorter travel option? Can it be converted butto the longer travel if you change your mind? I personally have a mk1 g16 and as much as I love it to bits I really like how the newer mk2 g16 or especially g1 are even more versatile and adjustable to suit rider and trails

maca
    Free Member

Just to add my piece, having had the original mojo nicolai(pre g16) and the g13, I love my G1, climbs brilliantly and so comfortable, ext shock is incredible. Xc ride today what’s not to like

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dark-Side

mattvanders
    What’s the different for you to run the shorter travel option? Can it be converted butto the longer travel if you change your mind? I personally have a mk1 g16 and as much as I love it to bits I really like how the newer mk2 g16 or especially g1 are even more versatile and adjustable to suit rider and trails

I think its just a shorter travel version of the EXT and I’m assuming different mutators. You can definitely convert between as Paul offered to send the bits necessary for me to have a try in short travel guise.

tall_martin

Out of curiosity,

What shocks are people running on G13’s?

I’ve got a cane creek double barrel air and fox dps.

The Cane creek is ace when it rough but I can’t seem to get the bob dialled out. If i increase the low speed compression enough to stop bobbing, the bike feels wooden and nonreactive to small bumps-unsurprisingly!

The DPS is great for smoother days out and has a lock out I appreciate if there is a lot of fire road or road on a ride. When its fully open, it just doesn’t feel quite supportive enough.

I tried a cane creek coil in 200×57 with osfet bushings. This rode higher in the travel and made the geometry feel weird. It steepened the head angle a bit, which just didn’t feel right.

Has anyone tried the Ohlins coil or ex coil on a G13?

singlespeedstu

EXT LOK on my G13 and G16.
    The G16 came with an X2, then I bought the G13 with the EXT.
    Swapped the X2 to another EXT pretty quickly after.
    Just feels better in every way.

tall_martin

Thanks!

How is the EXT on long pedally days out? Does it bob much?

honourablegeorge

Just put a DPX2 on mine. Feels really good riding in circles around the house. Can’t tell you much more than that.

singlespeedstu

Not much in the way of bob at all and has a lock lever if you want it even firmer.
    It’s very rare I even bother with the lever. Maybe on a long road climb I’ll use it but never bother offroad.

beagle
    Free Member

Hmm. Very tempted with a new shock for my G13. I’m on a DPS, and appreciate it doesn’t fully unlock the bike’s potential.

What length EXT are people running on their G13s then? I thought the minimum was 197×57 for a long shock option in the V2. I think they don’t make a 190×51 in the V3 and it’d have to be 200×57 and offset bushes to try and bring everything back?

Love to try a genuine 190×57 shock but as Mojo don’t have fox, I guess it’s a non starter.

There was a Öhlins coil 190×51 for Sale on Pinkbike recently. For good money (300ish) very tempted but with so many stories about reliability in the earlier stuff it would just be a punt.

Also interested in trying a 190×51 X2. Anyone done that?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

EXT definitely make 190*50mm Storia V3s. They put four on my wheelchair for me. They are unreal.

beagle
    Free Member

Four?!!! Hook a brother up! 😜

Must have my wires crossed with Paul’s emails then. Maybe he meant it I wanted 148mm travel.

honourablegeorge

beagle
    Hmm. Very tempted with a new shock for my G13. I’m on a DPS, and appreciate it doesn’t fully unlock the bike’s potential.

What length EXT are people running on their G13s then?

Geometron can supply them in custom lengths – they do 197×57 (goes in the “high” position, but the longer shock means the bike sits in “low”) that gives longer travel, 140ish. Think they’ll to the standard 190×51 also. Email Marcel @ Geometron, he’s super helpful and quick to reply.

Edit – this is a pic of a G13 with 190×50 EXT he sent me

singlespeedstu

Mines a 190×50 V2 on the G13 giving 130ish travel
    Getonyourbike.
    Love to see some pics and some details of your chair.
    Maybe you could do a thread on it?

beagle
    Free Member

Thanks Both. And a lovely looking bike Honorable George! I have an older Float X which I may try to get a retune and service on. That should be better than the DPS until I can pony up for an EXT.

If anyone is ever reading this thread in the future. Feel free to pop me a PM if you have an EXT or an X2 for sale in a size which will fit!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Yes I found the same when riding in Finale in Sept, trails are pretty tight with switchbacks etc and took a lot of concentration to manoeuvre the long wheelbase around tight corners. I guess that is the one drawback about having a bike which is stable at higher speeds is that its less comfortable in the tight stuff. Having said that we bumped into a guy riding a Starling Murmur (v similar geo to Geometron) who didn’t have any problems – said he just ‘flicked’ the back wheel around so maybe its a technique thing..?!

@bilbo
    – Just been browsing. That was me. Hope you worked it out in the end.

honourablegeorge

beagle

Thanks Both. And a lovely looking bike Honorable George!

Not mine – mine’s a little subtler with the orange bits 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

Yes. It would have helped if I had read the text. Too busy frothing at the mouth 🤪

tall_martin

Geometron can supply them in custom lengths – they do 197×57 (goes in the “high” position, but the longer shock means the bike sits in “low”) that gives longer travel, 140ish. Think they’ll to the standard 190×51 also. Email Marcel @ Geometron, he’s super helpful and quick to reply.

So does that mean my cane creek 200×57 with the offset bushings taking the shock eye to eye to 198 will keep the low geometry if I put that shock in the high position?

beagle
    Free Member

That’s seem counterintuitive to me. Surely it’d raise the BB meaning low setting would be betterer?

honourablegeorge

Apparently not, Martin – Marcel told me when I asked something similar that they use the 197×57 shock along with two offset bushings. Pity, as 200×57 shocks are much easier to come by.

Am sure putting it in the high position will help somewhat, but it will still steepen angles and lift the BB.

honourablegeorge

beagle
    That’s seem counterintuitive to me. Surely it’d raise the BB meaning low setting would be betterer?

The longer shock takes up the extra distance to the high setting, if that makes sense.

tall_martin

Well that’s a wee lockdown photo project for me 😀

liamh

Has anyone on here attempted a DIY bearing change on a Geometron/Nicolai (G15)? It all seems quite straight forward, though I’m struggling to work out how to pull/push out the pivots from the main linkage.

honourablegeorge

Geometron sell a tool for inserting/removing the pivot axles, basically a metal rod that screws into the axle and can then be used to hammer it out. It’s worth the few quid it costs, as it prevents you damaging the axle threads.

liamh

Cheers George — bearings are coming from them anyway so will ask for one of those too.

honourablegeorge

Drop an email to Marcel, he’s enormously helpful, and has all sorts of engineering diagrams and helpful stuff to share. They also sell a little bearing press, which is kind of homemde looking, but has all the right sizes and shapes.

sharkattack

I actually blew the dust off my G16 yesterday and went for the first ride of the year. (Neck injury last year merged into winter then into laziness, then into lockdown)

I only did 15 miles of roads and canal paths and I couldn’t believe how comfy it is for sitting down and cruising around. I totally forgot how light and easy it feels when you’re just spinning your legs.

Considering it replaced my DH bike for uplift days and Alps trips, it’s ridiculous how versatile it is. I’m actually looking forward to riding it again, which is a feeling I’d totally lost.

mboy
    Free Member

Had a test ride on a G1 yesterday, having recently built up a 2nd hand G15 for a mate. I got chatting to CP a couple of weeks ago when he was setting my mates bike up, said I was intrigued as I’d ridden a few bikes that I had written off as being too long that on paper are shorter than the G1 is, but that I’m open minded etc. He offered me a demo ride, we booked it in…

So I turned up, Sam had got both the Medium (Longer) and Large (Longest) demo bikes ready for me to try. At 5ft10 I was expecting the Medium to feel massive, and the Large to feel ludicrous, based upon their reach and wheelbase figures. Shows what I know! 🤦🏻

A quick pedal revealed that the Medium felt way too cramped, and the Large felt much better from the get go… I measured the wheelbase at 1325mm FWIW, some 115mm longer than my current bike which feels “long/low/slack” compared to pretty much everything else I’ve owned in the past, but the Saddle to Bar measurement is still some 20mm shorter! Bonkers, but crucially, it immediately felt comfortable.

I then went through a few car park drills, Sam and Chris watching me like a hawk, before we made a few position changes (most notably cleat position), and then Sam adjusted the damping both front and rear to its extremes so I could feel what was happening, before we dialled it in for perfect balance front to back… This was perhaps the most crucial difference I learnt about bike setup, that the suspension balance is more important than how each end individually deals with the bumps that the terrain offers.

Bike setup and ready to ride, Pascal then took me out for a ride on a few trails up behind their HQ. Had a good chat with Pascal on the ride about the evolution of the geometry and all sorts of other things which was very insightful. Started off with a sizeable fireroad climb (quite steep one too), which proved just how well balanced the bike climbs, with just-so anti-squat values and the traction rich EXT Storia shock working overtime if you looked down to see what was going on, but without an perceptible pedal induced bob at all…

The first trail was an easy dual track to get my eye in a bit and get a feel for the bike. All good so far, it certainly feels well balanced though a little stuck to the ground. Next trail was a nice singletrack affair with some relatively tight corners, but quite flat and pedally (not what you would assume is the G1’s natural terrain). The bike was remarkable in that it actually steers very quickly if you put a bit of effort in, in fact it can be made to oversteer which actually surprised me somewhat! We stopped part way down the trail, made a couple of damping adjustments to make the bike feel a little livelier and carried on. All good still. The third trail, a bit steeper and techier, with some tight switchbacks and a couple of chutes. Now we’re talking! I can really feel the confidence it was inspiring, and noticed how with the bike setup for perfect suspension balance, that it’s the perfect “2 wheel drift” bike as both ends would slide simultaneously, but in such a controlled manner it felt very easy to provoke but also to recover. Interesting stuff! Then another climb back up, and the final trail was quite a bit steeper and techier than we’d done so far, the bike felt superb! One super tight switchback corner, Pascal showed his skill in front of me by doing a rolling stoppie into the turn and swinging the rear wheel round in the air… “Oh great” I thought, as I could see the corner was super tight, and there was no way I’d manage what he’d just done. I presumed I may Jacknife the bike, and end up having to walk back and give it a double take… No such worries! Despite the wheelbase, it went round the switchback just fine, it just required a small dose of commitment to make it happen, that was all.

As others have said, the bike doesn’t reward an “off the back” riding style, it requires you to be dynamic within the wheelbase of the bike, and weight the front tyre accordingly. The big thing for me, given the extreme geometry numbers and my experience on other (not quite as) long bikes, was how little effort was required to weight the front compared to what I was expecting. You expect to have to grab the bull by the horns and be super aggressive with it, whereas the reality is far more subtle than that, and as long as you’re keeping your weight inside the wheelbase, dropping your heels and leaning the bike into the turn, the bars really don’t need wrestling with at all!

Riding back to base, what also surprised me was just how “normal” the bike felt when riding along flat tracks and undulating pathways. It didn’t feel at all unwieldy!

So yeah… The proof really is in the pudding with these bikes. I’m genuinely happy to say that any concerns I had about sizing and the bike feeling too big were completely dismissed, but also how well the bike seemed to cope with all scenarios rather than just the ones where you’d expect it to do well. Sitting and staring at the geometry chart, you can easily convince yourself it’s too big and that you need to size down, but honestly, listen to CP and keep your mind open and give it a try. It’ll be worth it!

Criticisms? Well it’s not the lightest bike, but it’s a 160mm travel 29er with a coil shock and an ally frame. Deal with it I guess! 🤷🏻‍♂️ Oh and there’s just no way in hell the design will accommodate a bottle cage sadly. Hey ho! If I’m tooling up for a ride deserving of a bike like the G1, I’m heading out with a backpack on anyway…

So yeah… Eyes firmly opened, and my bank balance is getting ready to be depleted! Fortunately I’d only need a frame and shock as I’ve got everything else all ready to go which helps… Now do I go for Raw or Black, and what colour Extra Love Kit do I go for? 🤔

hazmo

Enjoyed your update @Mboy. I’ve had a similar experience in test rides but have so far held off pulling the trigger for now….EXT are due to release their new Era fork any day now (I think/hope), and if it is anywhere near as good as the Storia V3 then a full build is on the cards.

I’m also 5’10” and while the numbers of the large are a bit ridiculous/intimidating on paper, it just felt ‘right’ and seemed to fit very well from the get go. The downside of such a big step up in size (from a medium Jeffsy) is that if/when I get one, I suspect the Jeffsy will feel unrideably small and sketchy?

I look forward to your update once you have pulled the trigger and spent some time on it.

sharkattack

When I first got mine people used to take one look at it and shake their heads. Telling me it won’t go round switchbacks, it won’t do jumps, it won’t go up hill and on and on. And I was just, What you on about? I’ve just spent all day doing exactly that!

but also how well the bike seemed to cope with all scenarios rather than just the ones where you’d expect it to do well

This sums it up for me. You’d expect it to be amazing at a ceartain kind of riding, then it’s a pleasant surprise when it’s really civilised everywhere.

I haven’t even ridden an EXT version yet. I got mine a few days before the big Fox debacle so I’m on an X2.

mboy
    Free Member

Well, haven’t been able to justify a G1 purchase yet, but couldn’t let a G15 in my size slip by again…

Fingers crossed will get this built up over the next few days, then get some miles on it soon. Bit of a half way house maybe, but arguably may be better for most of my riding than a G1 would. Will wait and see I guess!

tall_martin

Is that the frame from the classifieds here? I wondered where that would end up 🙂

I’ve got a bottle cage bodged I to my extra longest g13 frame. One bolt in the cable guide hole and the other end held on with
    Zip ties.

Lockdown and a baby have mostly curtailed long rides and uplifts so one bottle has been mostly fine.

The on one pod sac has also been bodged to fit with liberal application of gaffa tape.
    bodges

mboy
    Free Member

Is that the frame from the classifieds here? I wondered where that would end up

Yes, ironically I tried to buy it months ago, but got pipped to the post. Last 2 owners have upgraded to G1’s off the back of it anyway, it seems to have that effect apparently! 😂

beagle
    Free Member

Sensible stuff Mboy. I purchased a 2nd hand older G13 from someone moving to a G1. Popped an EXT On it and it rides really really well. While it is technically ‘outdated’ by the G1 – comparing numbers across the piste in 2020, it’s bang up to date and suits 90% of my riding.

Enjoy!!

mboy
    Free Member

While it is technically ‘outdated’ by the G1 – comparing numbers across the piste in 2020, it’s bang up to date and suits 90% of my riding.

Got my G15 built up over the weekend (pics soon, but haven’t managed to take one in the daylight yet!), quick scan of the geometry chart vs what I’ve measured (I’m using 44mm offset fork vs 51 the chart quotes) and it’s pretty contemporary for 2020 indeed… 64.5deg HA, approx 76.5deg SA, 1265mm wheelbase, 490mm reach, 445mm stays… Not as radical as a G1 for sure, but a nice stepping stone. Besides, it’s only a -2deg angleset and a chainstay mutator away from full Endurrrooooooo… 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Popped down to see Sam @ Geometron yesterday, he helped me set the suspension balance up on it and now it’s all ready to go shred… Took the opportunity to grab a few snaps too…

Most of the components lifted straight off my Evil, forks have had a rebuild and gone back up to 160mm and lighter oil in the damper though, and after deliberating over what brakes to put on it for ages, the chance of some 2nd hand Trickstuff Maxima’s was too good to pass up on… Oh, and JUST got away with the 185mm drop BikeYoke dropper that came with the frame. I have about 5mm spare to play with! I had worried it was going to be too long, and I was going to have to sell it and buy a shorter post, but thankfully my long legs for my height means I’ve got away with it. 👍🏻

vondally
    Free Member

Just got a new to our household g13, where can I get the cable guy guides? Especially those on the top of the BB?

Looking a good build on that bike there mboy.

chakaping
    Free Member

That looks very nice mboy, but you might have just gone over the permissable amount of accent colour there.

Is it a medium or large? The geo is surprisingly close to my non-Geometron enduro bike.

honourablegeorge

Bike-components.de sell the various cable guides in all the colours

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.