Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone ridden Ben Nevis?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

A few chaps I know are riding Ben Nevis in a few weeks, deciding whether to join along…

Anyone who’s ridden down with their thoughts?

Cheers

Ricks

matt_outandabout

Ben Nevis in a few week

Take your ice spikes.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

CynicAl, Italspark, Leffeboy and a handful of others did it about 25 years ago on rigid bikes with cantis.

If you get a snow free day you’ll be fine. You climb almost from sea level so it’s quite a hike.

Ticklinjock

Somebody’s video of the descent
    I’d rather do something else if I was in the area.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tell me that’s cynicAl with the tights on?!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Tell me that’s cynicAl with the tights on?!

Nope that’s Italspark. Al is in the GB jersey.

I may have a pic of Al in tights.

rickon
    Free Member

Oh god. The amount of people.

Trail looks good, but the people!

Neil-F
    Free Member

Supposed to be a bit of a ‘mare what with all the hikers.
    Nevis Range Red is a good idea. 😉

devs
    Free Member

Don’t do it at a weekend and preferably don’t do it at all. It sucks as a ride and there are far better things to do in the area.

somafunk

I haven’t done it in the past few years 😉 but i do remember bouncing down the hillside wi the rough stuff fellowship back in 1990 on a rigid muddy fox explorer wi non effective canti brakes, i did have an early imported Girvin 1″ flexstem from the states at the time though which provided .75mm of elastomer damped travel.

You can ride anywhere on anything as long as you are aware of the limitations of your equipment and experience/skill level.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

+1 Devs
    Just finished Devils staircase and Ciarans Path from Glen Coe. Would recommend it.

swavis

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

Having hiked it a couple of years ago there is no way I’d bother taking my bike up there, just far too many people for it to be fun. As others have said there’s better stuff in the area more suited to the bike with a lot less folk. Stuff around Kinlochleven, or even doing the Tour de Ben Nevis route would be a far more enjoyable ride.

All IMHO obviously 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden Ben Nevis?’ is closed to new replies.