Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone recommend free antivirus software off t’internet
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I had Avira installed which seemed to be ok, then installed F-Secure which I pay 50p a month for with my internet provider, but it caused the computer to grind to a halt as there was not enough memory. So I’m now wondering whether to go back to Avira or is there anything else that is widely used??, must be free. Cheers. 🙂

geoffj

avast home

foxyrider
    Free Member

Avira – seems to pick up most viruses I sometimes meet on the Net – automatically deletes them – had no problem to date (used it for 1.5 years)

GrahamS
    barney
    Free Member

Avast thirded.

Del

Avast again.

IHN

Avast fifthded

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sounds good

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

certainly does, cheers all

jova54
    Free Member

Just for a bit of variety AVG from grisoft.com.

Don’t forget to remove all other anti-virus software completely from you pc before running whatever you choose otherwise it will see their virus databases as viruses and close your machine down!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Avast here too, OK on old machine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Avast here too, OK on old machine.

Saccades
    Free Member

Avast again, prefer it over AVG but mainly because it talks to me in a daft voice.

Potdog
    Free Member

Used AVG for the last 4 years or so. It’s always worked well.

LostJohnny
    Free Member

I used Avast for a few years, it worked well, then I changed to AVG, which is just as good, but IMHO doesn’t slow down the machine as much as Avast did.
    S’pose I should just change to a Mac and the ‘no viruses here’ scenario, but other things always get in the way, so AVG it is.

LJ.

surfer
    Free Member

AVG

So in summary yes.

richc
    Free Member

AVG really slowed my machine down switching to kaspersky (£15 a year) meant that the machine didn’t periodically grind to a halt.

smiffkin

Avast….again!

bruneep

switched to avast from avg. avg was slowing my lappy down

matt_outandabout

AVG used to be great IME, but seems to have bloated out and caused slow down recently. Now running Avira and its much faster – not yet had a virus (but then I have only ever had a couple of minor problems in last few years)

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

just downloaded avast – does it include spy ware etc etc etc? or is it purely virus?

is there anything else i need to download in order to properly protect my laptop?

will
    Free Member

I’m just getting rid of AVG now, as people said it could slop my laptop down, bring on avast 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

Avast here, but I’ve never yet had a virus detected. And I dont exactly shy away from possible sources.

will
    Free Member

Just downloaded avast, seems good, apart from i now can open it to do a scan 😆 so not that much good really! the little icon in the bottom right hand tray on desktop wont open

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We’ve been using AVG for a few years but got fed up with waiting for it (and waiting for Windows XP generally).

We got an iMac – just blown away and avowed never to go back to Windows Xp/Vista/Whatever!

[My old PC laptop will become an Ubuntu test-bed now]

coffeeking
    Free Member

Have you rebooted will?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend free antivirus software off t’internet’ is closed to new replies.