Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 473 total)
  • Anyone read the Bible?
  • Mooly
    Free Member

Just curious.

mefty
    Free Member

Is that past or present tense?

kja78
    Free Member

Yep, but then I’m a Baptist Minister so it’s kinda my job. You got a question?

mikey74
    Free Member

Shhh don’t give away the ending.

Klunk
    Free Member

useful fire starter on a desert island.

Cougar

This is going to end well.

bruneep

I’m a Baptist Minister so it’s kinda my job.

Thought it was a vocation?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Read it twice, better then the silmarillion, but in some ways kinda similar.

Prefer the Koran – it hangs together a bit better.

Edit:

I’m a Baptist Minister

Happy-clappy or fire & brimstone? The guy who used to do the sermons at Tywyn Baptist when I was a kid was proper old school hell & damnation, very entertaining 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Read Revalations thanks to Iron Maiden.

sbob
    Free Member

I’ve read the guide books of all the major religions. 🙂

kimbers

bits n pieces, normally Im a big fantasy fan but this didnt catch me

tazzymtb

this one, and own a original copy of the 1814 Authorised Version of the King James Bible.

both make interesting reading

johnhe

Yep.

solarpowered
    Free Member

Bits of it, yes. But not start too finish! Always thought about reading it properly but always other things to do ( just being honest!) Pretty confident I will one day, maybe when I’m physically not Able to get out and ride a bike any longer….

mikey74
    Free Member

Is the Satanic one worth reading?

I read large parts of the Bible as a delusional kid. I’ve always wondered what the other side had to say.

mrmo
    Free Member

i have read bits, what comes from going to a Catholic primary school.

The way i look at it, it is a very important book in so much as it explains a lot about the world we live in. Don’t read it as truth, but rather as a historical novel, a lot is true, if you can filter out the embellishment, and many of the stories are far older than the bible. You have to accept that it reflects the world of its authors. There are questions like why does it contain only 4 gospels, when there are far more, etc.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve read the 4chan summary. Pretty good.

Wookster

Yes.

jon1973
    Free Member

NO SPOILERS PLEASE

I haven’t read it yet.

Klunk
    Free Member

the films are better.

Cougar

The way i look at it, it is a very important book in so much as it explains a lot about the world we live in.

It attempts to explain it, perhaps.

as a historical novel, a lot is true,

Rhubarb.

mrmo
    Free Member

Cougar, seriously, there is a lot within the bible that has actually been validated as true, the interpretation is wrong but as for the events described many of them did happen.

You have to remember that some of the contents of the bible predate judaism let alone christianity. Oral tradition, chinese whispers, things get confused. Doesn’t make it wrong though.

ojom
    Free Member

Meh. I prefer my science fiction and fantasy from the Warhammer arena rather than crosses and rolled stones.

busydog
    Free Member

3 times, cover to cover over the past 25 years. Always pick up something I missed before. Also read the Koran while living in Saudi Arabia in order to get a better sense of the culture.
    Getting through some of the old testament is a struggle, particularly the detailed parts on lineage of the tribes and the agonizing detail about measurements for building things like the temple. It certainly gives another source context to the times

Cougar

seriously, there is a lot within the bible that has actually been validated as true

Can you give me an example?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Jesus was the son of God?

theboycopeland
    Free Member

Yep and still do – but not done the cover to cover option as yet…mostly focus on New Testament but have a decent grasp of Old Testament mega themes.

Essential to understand what was going on in the culture at the time the text was written and then ask how that might apply in today’s culture – if indeed it does. Basically, what was the writer trying to communicate to the readers ‘of that time’ based on what was going on for them. Having a solid grasp of Judaism law and historical empires is also handy (or knowing someone who does).

It is essentially all about Jesus though…i.e. the need for him (Old Testament)…and the result of him (New Testament) and so that might put a few folk on here off 😉

Bez

Oral tradition

Leviticus 18, right?

Bez

I think there may be some disagreement on the meaning of the phrase “validated as true”.

But, of course, that’s pretty much the nub of the matter

Cougar

Sorry, he said “validated as true.” There’s no proof that Jesus (as a single person) even existed, let alone that he was the son of a supernatural entity.

teasel
    Free Member

the films are better.

🙂

Indeed…

julianwilson
    Free Member

I have read most of it. (NIV, if anyone is bothered)

Has anyone read The Message? It sounds rad. 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m currently reading Oolon Coouphid’s triology of philosophical blockbusters entitled ‘Where God Went Wrong’, ‘Some More of God’s Greatest Mistakes’ and ‘Who is this God Person Anyway?’.
    (HG2TG)

Cougar

“NIV”?

busydog
    Free Member

I think NIV is New International Version, which is one of the versions updated to utilize more current language

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I prefer fellowship of the ring. Characters are more relatable.

beej

Read Revalations thanks to Iron Maiden.

Don’t keep calling it the Book of Revelations
    There’s no “s”, it’s the Book of Revelation
    As revealed to St John the Divine

http://www.chrisrand.com/hmhb/achtung-bono-2005/shit-arm-bad-tattoo/

RustySpanner

See also Mary Hopkin.
    She must despair.

beej

*high five*

brakes
    Free Member

I couldn’t get past all that begating in Genesis.
    filth.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 473 total)

The topic ‘Anyone read the Bible?’ is closed to new replies.