Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Anyone on here smoke a pipe?
  • SaxonRider

I had never smoked one, and always thought that they looked like they involved more faff than pleasure; but then my eldest child gave me one for my birthday a few months ago.

Last night, I went outside for a smoke and thought how nice it actually is.

As I have said on here before, I enjoy tobacco and always have done; fortunately, I have always been able to treat it like a glass of whiskey: that is, something I only indulge in once in a while. But really, the pipe takes it to a new level.

Anyone else enjoy it?

perchypanther
    Free Member

This is STW.

There’ll be somone along in a minute to tell you how they’ve “smoked” a half-pipe. GNAAAAARRR!

allan23
    Free Member

Always fancied a nice ornate churchwarden pipe, but then I remember smoking is horrible and I like my lungs inside my body 🙁

Never been able to stick smoking, tried it and felt horrible. Love the smell of pipe tobacco though.

maccruiskeen

Chewkw is STW’s resident pipe-smoker – god knows what he smokes in it though. My money’s on carpet underlay.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Not yet, but when I retire Im having a pipe, jacket, and special chair.

Providing it hasnt been outlawed.

binners

My mate has got a pipe shaped E-cig thing. Its ace! A proper Sherlock Holmes jobbie.

As soon as I tried it I was informed by Mrs Binners that there was absolutely no way on earth I was allowed to get one, as I’d just point it at people while I was loftily pontificating in the pub.

And another ****ing thing……

😀

globalti
    Free Member

I tried it once because I loved the smell of the tobacco. It made me smell and within a few days I had bronchitis so I gave it up.

There’s an amazing smokers’ shop in the arcade under the Royal Exchange in Manchester where I sometimes go just to smell and marvel at the tobaccos. The assistants are never busy and always happy to bring me jars to sniff: http://astonsofmanchester.co.uk/tobacco

warns74
    Free Member

You would have thought with a 12 page thread on moleskin trousers you cant be the only one!

spectabilis
    Free Member

allan23 – Member

Always fancied a nice ornate churchwarden pipe

I used to smoke weed in a churchwarden. Helped me give up smoking cigarettes,I used have a pipe whenever I felt like a cigarette, wasn’t exactly inconspicous mind…

bigjim

I keep meaning to get one to try, would be great for keeping the midgies away. My dad still has some balkan sobraine from his pipe smoking days in the 60’s, it smells wonderful but is probably rank by now. I love the smell of cigarillos too but found the taste isn’t as rewarding, well based on cafe creme at least.

There’s no need to inhale pipe smoke is my understanding, for those of you giving yourself bronchitis.

ads678

I’ve “smoked” a half pipe. GNAAAAAAR!

MoreCashThanDash

My grandpa smoked a pipe all the time, and I still love the smell of St Bruno for the memories. He had cigars on special occasions, and I still love that smell as well.

Would never do it myself, but I’m a happy passive pipe and cigar smoker.

molgrips
    Free Member

Blech. That is all.

tinybits
    Free Member

I promised myself a pipe for my 40th, now I think it’ll be my 50th as I don’t feel old enough (6 months to run!)

Still have a hankering for something though, just for the odd occasion or when I’m mowing the grass!

DezB
    Free Member

Please no! They LOOK stupid. They STINK. They’re the most UNHEALTHY thing you can do to your lungs. And you’re just trying too hard to be a hipster.
    My Dad smoked a pipe. He smelled of nothing but pipe and he died before he was 72.

edlong
    Free Member

Crack, hash, or tobacco?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

interesting thread.. how do you smoke it by the way?.. like weed or just like cigars.. just taste and stuff.. no inhaling ? – curious fella

scaredypants

My mate has got a pipe shaped E-cig thing. Its ace! A proper Sherlock Holmes jobbie.

Awww, bollocks! I “invented” that in my head last week 🙁

SaxonRider

interesting thread.. how do you smoke it by the way?.. like weed or just like cigars.. just taste and stuff.. no inhaling ? – curious fella

Like cigars. I don’t inhale; I didn’t think you were supposed to!

That’s why the health question doesn’t really bother me. I don’t inhale, and only smoke on average, something like once a week.

To be clear, when I was taking out life insurance a number of years ago, they asked me if I smoked. Wanting to be as honest as absolutely possible, I explained that I liked tobacco, and that I would smoke a ‘rolly’ with my dad or with friends on occasion, and that whenever I bought a small pouch of Drum, I never got all the way through it without it going stale, and getting thrown in the compost.

They returned the verdict that I smoked so little, I was classed as a non-smoker. And that’s the way I plan on keeping it.

Consequently, I use my new pipe – as I said above – the same way I would have a glass of whiskey: I enjoy it when I do, but do so very seldom, and then only ever have one.

But if someone can point out how that is still harmful, I am willing to listen. I have no desire to die unnecessarily young!

ninfan
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjM29dY2v9I[/video]

edit – that pipe shaped E-cig is almost a good enough reason to take up vaping in itself!

mboy
    Free Member

But if someone can point out how that is still harmful, I am willing to listen. I have no desire to die unnecessarily young!

I once heard it said that smoking a fag knocks 5 minutes off your life. Well if that is to be believed, you’re probably going to die a few weeks before you were going to anyway…

Meanwhile there’s morbidly obese people filling themselves full of sugar and fats like there’s nothing wrong with it! Now I’m quite partial to sugary things, and I do like a burger or a curry once in a while, but I try to treat them like special treats. Things to be enjoyed in moderation as I know that indulging too often is not too good for me.

The thing is though, that consuming fatty and sugary foods doesn’t have any effect on those around you. If you like the smell of tobacco, then fair enough, but a vast majority of us despise the smell of it, and for the smoker, there is no way of getting past the fact that it’s an antisocial indulgence… But then so is Mountain Biking, and that’s highly likely to kill you too apparently! 😆

epicyclo

My father smoked a pipe. I loved the smell.

But he died a horrible death from cancer at only 70.

DezB
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter how harmful it is when your breath just smells like shit.

Wiki:
    there is a causal relationship between pipe smoking and mortality due to lung and other cancers, as well as periodontal problems, such as tooth and bone loss.
    Hipster fashion victims unite.

chewkw
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    Chewkw is STW’s resident pipe-smoker – god knows what he smokes in it though. My money’s on carpet underlay.

Yes, I smoke pipe with pipe tobacco but stop for a while now because the pipe tobacco is bloody expensive … arrggghhh …

I like to smoke Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. Some darker type tobacco tend to stain my teeth so I have to stop smoking them.

Smoke moderately, smoke whatever tobacco you like and you shall smoke forever.

If you are going to die, you are going to die regardless of whether you smoke or not coz it’s in the gene.

You like cooking? Yeap, you are inhaling smoke too so stop cooking?

However, if you have never smoked pipe before don’t start because it’s bloody expensive.

maccruiskeen

If you are going to die, you are going to die regardless

Smokers then to be quite philosophical about the mortality but don’t give a lot of consideration to the morbidity.

Stoner
    Free Member

When I was 13 I started smoking a pipe. I moved on to cigarettes and gave them up when I was about 28. Apart from the 2 or 3 “celebratory” cigars since, I have not smoked, but I’m planning on taking up smoking a pipe again when I’m 65. It’s wonderfully tactile, comforting and aromatic. Playing with it is half the habit. It might kill me, but by then I’ll have given up caring which vice was the one to do for me 🙂

slowoldman

It is a little odd that the whole beardy hipster thing hasn’t spawned a new generation of pipe smokers. I admit they smell a lot better than ciggies but apparently they are pretty good at causing cancer of the mouth and tongue.

yunki
    Free Member

Something for the clumsier errrr ‘pipe’ smoker?

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    … but apparently they are pretty good at causing cancer of the mouth and tongue.

Yes, that happens when you “cooked” your mouth and tongue (tongue bite) because of the hot smoke. Very hot.

You have to smoke very slowly to avoid burning yourself but this is not easy.

Anyway, don’t start the habit in order to have one thing less in life to worry.

I feel like smoking roll ups again but I am not sure when to start because I haven’t smoked for nearly two months now.

Nothing to do with health but just a challenge to see if I can stop as I wish. I think I can. I smoke a lot for the past few years.

The way I stop is by switching from smoking tobacco roll ups to pipe … then I just stop altogether.

My will power challenges so me I face up.

molgrips
    Free Member

My old art teacher smoked cigars, so didn’t inhale. Died of mouth cancer in her 50s.

SaxonRider

My old art teacher smoked cigars, so didn’t inhale. Died of mouth cancer in her 50s.

Jeez! Any idea what sort of frequency?!?

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

RIP Cigar smoking art teacher.

I think her gene cannot not cope with the chemicals in cigars. My view is that cigar might be the trigger point for her cancer, if it was not cigar then it might be something else.

Someone should research into gene and cancer trigger points.

SaxonRider

I just started a new thread asking about data that explores proportion of risk to smoking frequency.

bigjim

I’m always amazed that people will take the effort to criticise others over the possible impacts to themselves of their own concious decisions. If someone wants to risk mouth cancer smoking a pipe or whatever, who gives a flying? Is it really such a thrill to try and gain some moral high ground?

Shouldn’t ride mountain bikes either, might crash and injure yourself 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

bigjim – Member
    If someone wants to risk mouth cancer smoking a pipe or whatever, who gives a flying?

Hey smoke whatever you like after all it’s your life.

I am just saying not to start pipe smoking because it was expensive (for me) and I got tongue bite (I enjoy smoking pipe but it hurts too)

However, I am not saying not to smoke roll ups etc … your choice.

Cougar

Jeez! Any idea what sort of frequency?!?

Just the once I’d have thought.

farm-boy

My Latin teacher smoked a pipe in class. He tapped out the ashes in to the waste paper basket regularly setting fire to it. The nearest boy was tasked with removing the smoldering bin and the conjugation of verbs continued seamlessly.

This was the 1990s not the 1950s.

chewkw
    Free Member

farm-boy – Member
    This was the 1990s not the 1950s.

😯

epicyclo

chewkw – Member
    …Smoke moderately, smoke whatever tobacco you like and you shall smoke forever.

If you are going to die, you are going to die regardless of whether you smoke or not coz it’s in the gene.

No, you won’t.

As for you’re going to die anyway, sadly I think smokers have a miserable last 5-10 years. Stotting around with their emphysema, slightest effort knackers them, grey in face, and gagging for their next fag. I’ve had the misfortune to be admitted to cardiac wards twice in the last few years, and it’s really sad to see all these guys 20 years younger than me in such dire condition.

But anyway, that’s my impression. There’s plenty better qualified folk on here who could comment on the quality of life of smokers.

Superficial
    Free Member

I remember reading a fact when I was in my teens. Apparently the average lifetime cost of cigarettes for a 20-a-day smoker is £63,000. At the time you could buy a new 911 for that. So all these old smokers are struggling to walk with emphysema instead of cruising around in prime pork.

That had far more impact than any health argument for my teenage self.

Edit actually it’s way more than that. Who knew the average price of 20 cigarettes is now £9.40! (x365 days x 50 years=) a staggering £171,500. Never mind porsches, that’s almost the average UK house price.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here smoke a pipe?’ is closed to new replies.