Home Forums Chat Forum Anyone lit the stove yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Anyone lit the stove yet?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

September’s not been  up to much weatherwise so far and it seems to be getting colder.

Although I try to hold off lighting the stove before october I’m under pressure from the family who seem to not own a jumper 😒

Lack of fuel is no excuse for waiting as I’ve got about 6 tons of logs I cut,split and stacked last year…. Just need to move a couple of tons into the barn to stay dry.

Anyone else lit up yet or us it just me?

Drac

Twice this week in the evenings when it’s been raining, that’s it as the not sure where you are but here we’ve seen sunny days and temps of 21c. Monday night it was 18c right through the night.

richmars

Not even turned the heating on, let alone lit the fire. But the log store is fully loaded.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just the once two weeks ago, ladies of the house had been at work on a Saturday so got it nice and cosy for their return.

Drac

Oh and I’ll add.

It was far too hot with it on but I’m married and the Mrs is always cold.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Dad is very poorly and feels the chill horribly now so when I arrived to visit late evening and found hed just gone to bed cold I was glad I’d arrived with a car boot full of dry splits and a sack of kindling.  30 minutes later he was on the sofa enjoying the warmth.  Mum and I were sweating across the room but still, priceless moment for me.

My own stoves, no. Not yet.  Got the companion sets out the loft this week though, so I’m ready to go.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

8c here in Sweden so yes premier tonight

doris5000
    Free Member

not yet.  Possibly this weekend though – but then it looks like brightening up next week

Harry_the_Spider

Lit ours last night for the first time. Love the smell of it when it gets hot. Bloody fan started “ticking” though.

breadcrumb

I’ve lit the stoves a few times now. Living room one was on last night, a toasty 25°c.

Tomorrow is looking a bit miserable so I might push the boat out and light both stoves.

SaxonRider

Funny you should ask. I’m just about to go outside to bring in some logs for the afternoon and evening.

Lit it last week too.

footflaps

Not yet, haven’t ordered logs for this winter yet either. Only have a load of fence post off cuts to burn right now…

Kryton57

Jeeesas!!

Here in N London, the sun was out this morning with showers predicted in the afternoon.  I took the opportunity to rough cut the lawn – now regrown after the summer drought – in jeans and a tee shirt.

At 2pm it started spitting as I went out with Jnr on the MTB, so I was over cautious with his clothes and stuck a “transforming” gabba a like on top for me – with shorts.  My god, the temp plummeted and the heavens opened, we’ve had a great ride but I was very grateful afterward to get in the house/shower where the heating has thankfully kicked in.

First wet/cold ride of the year, ‘twas a bit of a shock!

kelvin

Nope.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I put the heater on at night for a few mins before bedtime the other day.

Went out for a ride today in the wind and rain then a hot shower.

Snug as bug.  Get out in the cold then come back in.

Block any drafts in house. Open curtains. Keep active.

Put away shorts and wear an extra layer.

footflaps

Put away shorts

It’s only September! I’ll be in shorts for a few months yet….

Drac

Block any drafts in house. Open curtains. Keep active.

Still have our bedroom window open all night and most upstairs during the day.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just fired it up again….

spooky_b329

Just repaired my stove this afternoon,  the blanking plate for the rear flue exit just randomly dropped off during the summer.

So both the fire rope adhesive and fire cement around the flue said to light the fire and let it warm up gradually over 4 hours to help everything go off, well it’s been on about 40 minutes with a little kindling and the smallest lightest log in the box and it’s almost up to regular temperature,  and the glue is giving off that ‘brand new stove’ burning aroma.

Ah well I’m sure it’ll be fine :) Just hope the relatively thin steel I used to reattach the blanking plate is up to the job (tabs on the stove fractured)

Apologies, stupid photo host thinks it knows which way to rotate my photo :(

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well the one in the bothy last night was lit and doing a good job of keeping us warm after riding into a bitter wind for 5hrs

Tonight we lit the one at home as it’s been a bitter *tail* wind all day……only took 3 hours to come home.

Stoves are ace.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Lit the fire yesterday for Mrs Jay but she’s got s stinking cold.

It’s going to be summe-like for most of next week, so a little while before the heating goes on.

bearnecessities

Yes.

And no, I don’t have a living room. Still.

spawnofyorkshire

Have had my fire lit twice so far

I also <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>switched the smart thermostat out of summer mode and into autumn/spring, so a little bit of heat in but not much. </span>

somafunk

It’s been lit 3 times in the last fortnight, and lit again t’night, although i admit i do have the windows open – got a shitload of seasoned wood to burn so why not?

And this waiting to be dealt with at some point

winston
    Free Member

Just lit mine for first time since March.

Now sitting back sipping Old Perculier listening to Andrew Bird whilst veggie mousakka cooks and my children are setting table after cleaning rooms.

Clearly I must be dreaming…

robbo1234biking
    Free Member

Sitting here sweating my moobs off as well the mother in law has lit hers!

welshfarmer

Had planned not to until October but I have not long fixed the flue so I am tempted to light it for half an hour just for fun

granny_ring

Swept the flue the other day, using a drill attachment on the rods for the first time after hearing from someone that their Sweep did that. It does a better job.

So stove is ready to go.

Not tonight though :-)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We have had two stoves going all year. It’s our sole heating

We felled a couple of big Chestnuts last Friday, we got the last load back to the stable yard yesterday

I have some holzhausens in case of emergencies

View this post on Instagram

Last load for today #stihlgardenchallenge

A post shared by Peter McLaren (@mcmoonter) on

View this post on Instagram

The yard is filling up again.

A post shared by Peter McLaren (@mcmoonter) on

brakes
    Free Member

sat in a cold tent in a wet field. dared to put the camping stove on inside the tent for 10 mins to warm it up a bit but paranoid about CO2 / CO.

might have to call it a night soon but some bellends are banging a drum and wailing at the moon.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Not yet,  it central heating is on

bearnecessities

sat in a cold tent in a wet field. dared to put the camping stove on inside the tent for 10 mins to warm it up a bit but paranoid about CO2 / CO.

might have to call it a night soon but some bellends are banging a drum and wailing at the moon.

Sounds different; pics please :-)

martinhutch

some bellends are banging a drum and wailing at the moon.

Sorry. I’ll be finished in a minute.

brakes
    Free Member

as the night goes on it’s turned from some pleasant slavic sounding melodies to pagan drumming accompanied by 80s ballads.

carbon monoxide poisoning might be a merciful way out.

either that or I pay them a visit with my spare tent pegs and rubber mallet…

aazlad
    Free Member

We finally got a stove fitted on Thursday after nearly 5 years of living in the house. Just had a small fire yesterday to cure everything and we pushed it a bit harder this evening.  We need to find a cheaper source of seasoned wood as I haven’t built a proper store yet so no home seasoned logs in the pipeline. That’s the next job.   Bring on the chill!

brakes
    Free Member

it’s gone quiet…. either they’ve turned it in or they’re necking Es and waiting for the midnight euphoria.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

You’re camped at a cult site… they’re all had their special drink and moving on…

It was 10C in my bedroom – wth? putting on heating. I can feel cold air from window… might need new pane or seal.

Brr.

dannybgoode

Yep. Just got it lit today – oh how we’ve missed it!…

theotherjonv

haven’t got a stove but after 3 hours in the rain this morning, the CH had to go on boost for an hour. Not the same as turning it on, that won’t happen for a week yet!!

v8ninety

CH won’t be on until the oil is delivered in October, but the stove has worked several times already this autumn. Ideal for driving out the damp cold weather in the evenings.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Anyone lit the stove yet?’ is closed to new replies.