Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone know any good road routes in South Manchester
  • joe1983
    Free Member

I have started to train some more on the road recently but keep repeating the same routes and it’s getting a bit tiresome. I live in Sale and usually head up towards Hale, onto Rostherne/Tatton Park and then back, sometimes via Manchester and back through Fallowfield/Northenden ect.

I don’t know the roads that well but am sure there should be some good country riding to be had in Cheshire – can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Joe

barca
    Free Member

Joe – from where you are, out to Stockport, A roads through Offerton into Marple, Strines, New Mills, Hayfield, Chapel-en-le frith and then either a) back along the A6 to Stockport and then home or b) if you want a longer ride, over Long Hill or Taxal, on to Macc and then Henbury, Alderley Edge and back home. All very straight forward routes, You’d struggle to get lost.
    I’ll do some Bikely routes for you if you like?

joe1983
    Free Member

Barca if you could that would be brilliant! The route up towards stockport and through Marple ect sounds ideal. I really want to start upping my milage now I have finally got a road bike that fits and rides nicely.

r0bh
    Free Member

Not sure how far you are looking to go, but for an hour or so in the evening the lanes between Partington and Dunham are a decent bet.

Bit longer, then out to Partington – Broomedge – High Legh – head South then East to Knutsford (cutting across just South of M6 J19). Back home via Tatton, Ashley and Hale. From Knutsford you can extend it South into the network of lanes between Knutsford, Macc, Congleton, Holmes Chapel and Northwich – loads of options.

To get some hills in out to Alderley Edge via Northenden, Styal and Wilmslow, or Cheadle – Bramhall – Woodford – Adlington – Pott Shrigley will get you to the bottom of some proper hills in about an hour.

joe1983
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips Rob – the routes you suggest sound spot on too. I’m probably looking at starting off around 40 miles then building up. I got lost twice last week when I decided to ‘just go out for a ride@ so I’m going to plan something concrete for tomorrows outing!

barca
    Free Member

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Hazel-Grove-Macc-Cat-Fiddel-Peak-Forest-Hazel-Grove

That’s one of the handful I have on Bikely Joe. If you fancy it, just pencil in a convenient place to join the route from where you are. It’s very easy to follow but might be a bit longer than you’re currently planning.

joe1983
    Free Member

Hey thanks for that Barca – looks great. As you say probably one to aim for in a couple of weeks, the route itself is about 45 miles but I guess nearer 60 when I ride over from Sale and back. Actually that is perfect as the Manchester Blackpool I am doin is about 60 so if I do your route a few time before I should be fine.

Can you print the route or get directions – or is it a case of studying the route and writing down waypoints?

Cheers,

Joe

samuri
    Free Member

try the cheshire cycleway which comes closest to you in Barton I think. Do a google for it. The entire route is 180 miles (I intend to do it all in a day soon), but anything in that direction is going to be reasonably easy and quite nice.

As suggested, just head for Hazel grove/bollington/chapel/disley/new mills, you not really go wrong anywhere round there.

My general approach when looking for new routes is take a GPS with me. Ride around randomly and then look on the GPS route afterwards to seewhere I could have gone better. Try the bits that look good, repeat with the GPS.

joe1983
    Free Member

Need top get a GPS again I think! Got rid as I never used it off road.
    I think I came across a sign for the cycleway somewhere near Ashley a few weeks ago – I’ll have to look into it

barca
    Free Member

It’s really easy to follow Joe but will pale the Manchester to Blackpool which is really quite flat (although a nice day out).
    I’ll plot some routes with better waymarking for you and email them over if you like?
    I did another favourite this morning which I think would be nice for you.
    Get over to Stockport and on to the A6 (not a bad road before 10:00am on a Saturday). Follow it out to Hazel Grove, right at the Rising Sun and straight through to Macclesfield. Right at the Tesco roundabout, right at the next roundabout and follow it out to Henbury. Carry on through to Monks Heath cross roads, straight on and follow signs for Jodrell Bank (coffee stop at the telescope) then back toward Manchester past the airport (through Tatton Park if you like) and I came home through Heald Green, Cheadle and Bramhall but you could head off through Hale. A nice ride. Stockport to Macc is on fast’ish roads in the main, Macc to Jodrell and most of it back to the airport are quiet’ish roads and lanes.
    The Manchester 100 route is a good one as well but I think a GPS for that would be best, there’s some tricky turns that are easy to miss.
    I’ll do some more routes with better detail for you. Being on the Peak side of Stockport, most of my road rides go out toward and often into the Peak District and are quite hilly.
    Steve

ourmaninthenorth

Joe – if you fancy doing the same but in a club environment, you’d be more than welcome to come along to one of the MAnchester Wheelers club runs.

There are uusually several over the weekends – last Sunday had three rides going on (“intro”, a flat ride and a long hilly ride).

Contrary to popular belief, not all road clubs are unfriendly – the Wheelers is particularly welcoming.

Check out the info at Manchester Wheelers.

Feel free to drop me a line at ourmaninthenorth AT googlemail.com.

Tom

barca
    Free Member

I’m thinking of hooking up with the Wheelers. I’ve been out a couple of times with a club attached to a shop and they weren’t the most enjoyable of rides I’ve had, Very ego led. A couple of guys made an effort to chat on the way round but most very definitely had a superior attitude. It must of been because I wasn’t wearing the club kit like everybody else. Not coming last in the sprints (although despite my best efforts I never made first by some way) and holding my place when the tempo increased only seemed to make the situation worse. I felt like it was my duty? to be dropped off the back and huff and puff to catch back up when they ordained to wait for me (if they planned to wait for me but as I didn’t play their game and stayed nicely in amongst them, I didn’t get to find out).
    I’m too old and my riding too important to me (in a fun way) for that kind of silly carry on.
    Sorry for changing the subject.
    Joe – you shall have email.

joe1983
    Free Member

Just got back from my first half century(ish) ride and I felt I had more in me which was nice. Headed up to Hale, Tatton, Mere, then through Tabley and Pickmere and down to Great Budworth. I came back through High Leigh, Lymm, Stretford then home. The route was called ‘Cheshire flat’ and I found it normal so I definitely need to work on my hill riding!

Barca I’ll have a look at the routes you have suggested and will probably try the one you gave me a link to next weekend. I had a similar link for the one I did today and just went through it noting all the turning points and managed to stay on track so fingers crossed I won’t get lost! Any other stuff you have will be greatly appreciated though.

In terms of a club, I am definitely going to give it a go at some point to stretch myself but am not sure if my speed is up to it yet. Plus I kind of like riding alone! I’ll give you an email though later ourmaninthenorth to see what rides you guys have planned.

Joe

oddjob
    Free Member

Got to have a go at the cat and Fiddle over to Buxton and then back over long hill. That used to be one of the standard routes with the Manchester Tri club when I was there. (few years ago now though…)

MoreCashThanDash

Check out bikely.com – also check out the route of the Manchester 100/Christies charity ride – that was a good day out but not that hilly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know any good road routes in South Manchester’ is closed to new replies.