Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Anyone got a kilt?
  • matt_outandabout

Apparently if you are Scottish you wear jeans, English wear kilts at ceilidh’s round here. As I fall in the latter camp, but camping out in the former, I was wondering if to camp it up one day….
    Off out, will report back on the Scottish / English breakdown later 8)

fisha
    Free Member

Im scottish. I have a kilt. I got it when I was 17, and I’m now 32. Its paid for itself many times over compared to hiring suits and whatnot for weddings and whatever else.

They dont always have to be formal … plenty of times can be worn informal with rugby tops and a pair of boots with the socks round the ankles.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I was once told by a scotsman that the only English that wear kilts belong the clan McC**t. 😯

If his opinion was anything to go by I would stick to the jeans. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I have a kilt. Great investment.

Two sporrans – a nice furry one for “best” and a plainer black leather one for “casual”.

seven
    Free Member

MW, I suspect his opinion wasn’t anything to go by

I’m Scottish, don’t have a kilt, equally don’t care who wears one

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes I am have the clan tartan and you always get a reaction wearing one in England – i have been here most ofmy life so no scottish accent but i am scottish. It is great for any formal occasion- expensive though as one off purchase – but works out cheap over a lifetime.

13thfloormonk

Been having this debate recently with the new (almost..) g/f who likes a man in a kilt, I’m 100% Scottish and could get away with wearing one far more than some of the posers around here (Edinburgh) but don’t feel my ‘people’ are sufficiently Scottish, only one branch of my family tree is really scottish, and they certainly weren’t Highlanders…

Plus I have deep suspicions about all those shiny buttons and waistcoats, seem a million miles away from what a genuine Scot would have worn back in the day…

druidh
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – Member
    Plus I have deep suspicions about all those shiny buttons and waistcoats, seem a million miles away from what a genuine Scot would have worn back in the day…

You don’t need to wear all that stuff. The colours and patterns are mostly a Victorian invention anyway.

13thfloormonk

So if you were wearing one ‘formally’ but didn’t want all that pish, what would you wear, just a white shirt?

The colours and patterns are mostly a Victorian invention anyway

Well, I had been harbouring some (probably misguided) notions about who ‘invented’ the modern day kilt, and their relationship with the traditional highlander.

druidh
    Free Member

DSC01269 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Perhaps?

13thfloormonk

8) Thats pretty good, I could swing that look I reckon! Would probably prefer to keep a bit of calf on show though 😀

fisha
    Free Member

If your at a do, then a ghillie shirt is a much comfier thing to wear ( works well along with a basic waistcoat too ) which is more informal, but not looked down upon really, unless your really stuffy.

Likewise, the tweed style jackets and waist coats are just as good – bit more formal, but not all the shiny button stuff.

At weddings, I have the black jacket, shiny button stuff, but once the speeches are over, its all ditched onto the back of the chair, top button undone and sleeves rolled up. Much comfier.

bigG
    Free Member

I’m Scottish and have two kilts, and a collection of sporrans. I’m in the market for a third kilt to wear in warmer climes,

I have a tailor made back tweed jacket and waistcoat with plain black buttons, I can dress this up, or down as needed. Much less restrictive than the usual Prince Charlie or Ghillie jacket.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Love my Kilt!

Got it made a few years ago and it has been worn lots.

Very versatile depending on what the occasion!

Kilt and Owner both made in the Highlands and very very well travelled!…

ojom
    Free Member

That was my wedding day was it not Onion?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, it was on my clipboard! 😉

coastkid
    Free Member

Clan Mathieson here 🙂
    We have Tartan in Royal & Ancient, Dress, Hunting, and battle 😈

Still to get a Kilt, not cheap in our tartan, but worth getting a proper job and not a cheapy

SaxonRider

I’m only 1/4 Scottish, and wore one for my wedding in honour of my grandmother. I have worn it many times since, and have found it incredibly useful.

druidh
    Free Member

Indeed Mark. I was gonna show a photo of what you were wearing too, but the only one I had included Laura and I didn’t want to presume that was OK.

colournoise

Only my dad’s side of the family are Scots, but had to get married in one just for the fun of it. As has been said, a big one-off cost (my wedding outfit cost more than my wife’s dress) but can be worn many times after at various events.

All 3 of my ‘family’ tartans are minging, so being an old goth I got a plain black one made instead.

slainte 😳 rob

druidh
    Free Member

True – it doesn’t have to be tartan…

ojom
    Free Member

You could photoshop a seal instead!

cotic853
    Free Member

and they can be hi-viz too

slimtubing
    Free Member

[/url]
    weddingalbum3 by nickendeacott, on Flickr[/img]
    hired this for my wedding, looked into getting one last time i was back in Scotland but at the time was way too costly for my student lifestyle. thinking i might make the plunge on our next trip back in 2013. I’ve connections to the Cummings tartan which is a bit marmite but better than Royal Stuart IMHO.

Ticklinjock

Casual enough?

matt_outandabout

Aye, all of them tonight were in kilt n t-shirt/simple shirt, none of this flouncy malarky

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never worn a kilt. Wouldn’t seem right with my accent 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    Aye, all of them tonight were in kilt n t-shirt/simple shirt, none of this flouncy malarky

T-shirt works for ceilidhs

Kit
    Free Member

A long time ago:

Kilt 18 by Ginger F0x, on Flickr

More recently:

Kit3 by Ginger F0x, on Flickr

😀

messiah
    Free Member

Lived in Scotland for the last three quarters of my life and married a local lass; hence I wear her family tartan with pride. I also have a tweed kilt which is great and very versatile… Almost Any excuse will do.

althepal

Bought my kilt for my wedding a few years back, figured I was spending a shitload on dresses, flowers etc so might as well treat myself. Used tons at formal occasions and loads of other trips abroad etc.
    It hasn’t quite paid for itself yet but in a few more years will prob have done so.
    Proud to be a Scot, proud to wear my kilt and remember all the good times I’ve had wearing it, and don’t care who wears one if it makes them happy.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Same as above, got measured up for my wedding and use it any chance I get. Cost a lot of money for the whole outfit, but it fits me like a glove. As my dad said whilst paying for his,’well son, I know what i’m getting buried in’! My friends all hired kilts for my big day and all enjoyed wearing them, for me it adds something to the occasion and the ladies love them!

I’m originally from Scotland, but have live in England most of my life, although my wife and I intend to move back when the opportunity arises.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It would seem that scots are more relaxed about the propriety of non scots wearing the kilt than they used to be. When I was a kid here in the 70s it would have been seen as disrespectful for a non scot to wear one

Bagstard
    Free Member

Quite a lot has changed since the seventies TJ! 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

At my wedding one of my brothers in law said he wouldn’t wear a kilt as he didn’t think it was right as an englishman. Pretty sure he regretted it, he was very much the odd man out and doesn’t seem to belong in the photos. Shame really, he is usually game for anything and would have enjoyed it.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The modern kilt is about as traditional as a footballer’s tie knot, they are awful things only worn by royalty and blokes at weddings pretending to be out of Braveheart. Tragic things, it has to be said. I’d have more respect for someone getting married dressed as a scotch egg, or a bottle of Irn Bru. Whilst chewing on a Highland Toffee.

epicyclo

TandemJeremy – Member
    It would seem that scots are more relaxed about the propriety of non scots wearing the kilt than they used to be. When I was a kid here in the 70s it would have been seen as disrespectful for a non scot to wear one

I don’t remember that being an issue. It was more do you have the right to wear that specific tartan?

GlitterGary – Member
    The modern kilt is about as traditional as a footballer’s tie knot…

OK that style is approx only 200 years old, but enough Scots died wearing it while helping to make the British Empire for it to have a right to be accepted as a national dress. BTW, you man enough to say that to a member of a Highland regiment?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Yes, and I often do! Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got nowt against a soldier wearing his uniform, but I wouldn’t go around wearing my dad’s old stable belt from his regiment, or his beret, just because it’s traditional.

I just see kilts as a bit crass. Unlike Highland Toffee. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Epicyclo – Certainly felt like that to me and is a part of why I have never worn a kilt.

As for national dress – of course it is and not only in that victorian style. Many examples of modern scots national dress in this thread.

MussEd
    Free Member

Never thought I’d see Ricky Gervais doing the Gay Gordons Druidh….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a kilt?’ is closed to new replies.