Home Forums Bike Forum Anyone got 12 speed Di2 and a multimeter?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone got 12 speed Di2 and a multimeter?
  • pdw
    Free Member

Bit of a long shot but we’re currently at a campsite in the with a flat di2 battery and no charge cable (apparently when Mrs pdw said “yes, I’ve packed the di2 charge cable” this actually meant “I’ve packed a cable that looks a bit like it”).

Our efforts to get our hands on one have so far been unsuccessful so I’m wondering if it is bodgeable. It’s a 4 pin connector with a USB plug on the other end so I’m wondering if it’s just straight through USB, in which case I just need to know which pin is 5V and which is ground.

Googling has drawn a complete blank on this so if any one has the cable and a multimeter and could figure out the pin out I’d be very grateful.

BlobOnAStick

Here you go – taken from my brand-new-not-yet- fitted 12spd Di2 cable….

It’s one hell of a fiddly job getting onto these terminals. Good luck getting a wire on the socket!

let me know how it goes…..

IMG_6227

fossy

Amazon delivery to a local pickup point ? I would assume there are some electronics in the cable to control charge rate, unless it’s in the battery.

fossy

Anyway, don’t blame the missus, who didn’t charge the batteries before leaving – thought DI2 lasted months ?

BlobOnAStick

As I undertand it, If its been in a bag with the shifter buttons pressed then that will have flattened it.

pdw
    Free Member

Thanks very much BlobOnAStick. As it turns out, just after sending this Mrs pdw finally found a shop prepared to let us pay our stupidity tax and sell us a cable so I think we’re sorted. Had a plan involving blue tak and cut wires, but kind of glad we didn’t have to.

We’re a bit curious about what happened as it certainly hasn’t done many miles since it was charged and it arrived here flat as pancake. It was on a bike rack so nothing pressing a shift button, and it’s wireless so whilst that might flatten the shifter it shouldn’t affect the main battery. I thought they were supposed to go into rear mech only mode if the battery was low, but this went from fully working in the UK to absolutely dead here. A

As for blaming the Mrs, it’s her bike so… 

Interestingly, the SRAM AXS on my MTB arrived completely flat too.

BlobOnAStick

Happy to have been of potential service.

interesting to hear that even transporting on a rack can cause problems. Will be triple-checking I pack the cable for any future adventures!

shortyj15

Quite often with AXS having them on a bike rack the movement of travelling on a vehicle wakes them repeatedly and discharges the battery

cannondalem500

RTFM re AXS. You are supposed to remove the battery during transport and fit the red plastic cover. Glad you got the DI2 sorted.

oceanskipper

Yep AXS will “wake up” if you shake the bike ergo having it on a bike carrier while driving along will keep waking it up. Although my AXS battery lasts 100s of miles doing shifting duties so I fail to see how a couple of hours on a bike rack would flatten it even if the wake up process uses more power than usual. ?‍♂️

EDIT – FFS that was supposed to be a *shrug emoji at the end

fossy

You don’t get this faff with cables.

oceanskipper

You don’t get this faff with cables

Just other kinds of faff.

bikesandboots

Yep AXS will “wake up” if you shake the bike ergo having it on a bike carrier while driving along will keep waking it up. Although my AXS battery lasts 100s of miles doing shifting duties so I fail to see how a couple of hours on a bike rack would flatten it even if the wake up process uses more power than usual. ?‍

Indeed, I’d think the on ride power consumption profile would be something like 20% being on and connected, and 80% for shift actuation.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.