Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone gone from 160/ 150mm to 130mm ( thinking of a Whyte T130)
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I’m currently on a E29 and quite like the look of the whyte T130. All the reviews seem favorable. Most of riding I do is local trails,trail-centre stuff. Aston hill is local so surface to Air…and I’ve a trip to Morzine this year and although I’ll be pointing the bike downhill it’s not a downhill specific holiday..
    Will the Whyte suit 90% of my needs will I miss the travel of my current bike?

stevedoc
    Free Member

I have a 150mm pike equipped Five and bought a 130yari forked hardtail, at first I thought I’d made a mistake but after a little messing with pressures and tokens the Yari S are brilliant, just horses for courses really, I just don’t press as hard on the Yaris because Its a hardtail after all

br
    Free Member

If you live in the Chilterns tbh a long forked HT could be described as ‘over-biked’ so I wouldn’t imagine you’d have any problem with a 130.

qwerty
    Free Member

Whyte T130 Yari are currently rocking horse poo. Whyte have none left, 2017 bikes arriving in June. If you find one, buy it quick (if you find a XL please email me).

DickBarton

I went 150 to 130…and think I’m riding better for it, but depends on how you ride. I think 150 was too much for me as I’m not a hard rider, 130 seems to work better for me – feel confident riding it and it encourages me to ride harder than I was on the 150.

ravingdave

I did exactly as you are planning. I went from a santander Cruz heckler with 250mm travel to a t130s but with a pike rather than revelation (I had an early t130) bike feels amazing don’t miss the 2pmm. Does bottom out a bit more but will be trying some bottomless tokens to sort that soon. Get 1 if you can find it. Try rockin bikes in Yelverton I know they had one with a yari whether they still do is another matter…

vondally
    Free Member

From Yeti asr 7 so 160mm front 170 rear, to 29er Rocky mountain 120 /98mm and it was more than great and never really noticed the diffence but now on a Yeti SB 95 /125mm rear and that is pretty balanced.

mboy
    Free Member

For anyone looking, currently still got 2 Medium T-130S Yari’s, 1 Large, and a Medium T-130RS in stock in my shop. They’re selling FAST! Could have sold 3 XL’s over the weekend if I could have got hold of them!!!

2017 bikes arriving in June

I’d take that with a pinch of salt… Their trade show is first week in July when they’re announced for the next model year, HT’s usually arrive first (end of July- mid August) and FS bikes normally start arriving in September… From years of experience selling Whyte’s…

If you find a Whyte in your size, DO NOT HESITATE right now, just buy it! If you don’t like it, someone else will buy it off you tomorrow more than likely…

tymbian
    Free Member

Are there better specced models about and are there any rumours about changes to or Geo of the 2017 model?

tymbian
    Free Member

@ mboy.. what shop is that and at 5’10 should I be on a large?

cokie

That would be The Missing Link in Droitwich.
    Mboys a gent and will look after you.

singlespeedstu

From years of experience selling Whyte’s

Remind us again how many years is = to years of experience?
    😉

cb

Think the Bike Factory in Whaley Bridge has a 130 in stock – medium I think.

mboy
    Free Member

Remind us again how many years is = to years of experience?

2 in my own shop, 3 in another prior to that I’ve been dealing with Whyte. Your point is?

@ mboy.. what shop is that and at 5’10 should I be on a large?

You’re the same height as me, so you’re on the cusp between medium and large. Depends if you prefer a slightly shorter or longer TT… I’d say get a sit on both then make your decision then if possible.

Cheers Cokie! Saw your response on the LBS thread the other day, many thanks again and hope you’re still enjoying the bike!

Are there better specced models about and are there any rumours about changes to or Geo of the 2017 model?

All the carbon models sold out a while ago… There’s still the odd T-130RS out there, but mainly small and medium sizes. As for next year? Not privy to that information far enough up the road, but they lengthened the top tube a fair bit for the 2016 model from the 2015 version, and it has now won awards, I’d guess for next year they will probably stick with the winning formula… But then I am only speculating.

tymbian
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info..

singlespeedstu

So two years then (with three years making the tea) 😉
    Two years is hardly “years” is it.

v666ern
    Free Member

slow day SSS, Just you and your hand coffee maker again? 😆

skiprat
    Free Member

I went from a 150mm/140mm to a T130 Yari and its a really nice bike to ride. I’m 6’1″ish and went for a large. Its a lot lower than my Zesty was but a good bit longer…its a nice fit for me. Had a bit of a play with stem and bars and now its bob on. It just feels right.

Yari needed a bit of a play too but have ordered some tokens and am sure they will do whats needed. It’ll be even better then.

Been out a few times now so still getting used to it but get things right and it feels silly quick, and each ride has got better and better. It feels quite light but also feels solid, no rattles as all cables are internal so its very clean looking.

I tried my local shop and they had none left in large at the start of march, made a call to another shop and they had one. Slapped the deposit down and went next morning to try and collect.

singlespeedstu

Yes vern.
    So slow that I’ve got time to make my second post of the day and not look at other poeoples posting history.
    How about you. 😛

nodrog2
    Free Member

For anyone after Whyte T130’s then check Edinburgh Bicycle Coop, they still have the RS, S and Yari models as well as some limited carbon stock.

chakaping
    Free Member

The wheel size might be more significant a change than the travel?

TBH it sounds like you need two bikes. Everyone does really.

nickgti
    Free Member

mboy still hasn’t said what your shop is?

nuke

mboy still hasn’t said what your shop is?

He doesnt need to, cokie did it for him…

That would be The Missing Link in Droitwich.
    Mboys a gent and will look after you.

chipkorea
    Free Member

I’ve not gone from 160 or 150 to 130.

My experience until last summer was 26″ hardtails with 120mm to 140mm of travel up front.

First FS and first 650b were the same bike. Wasn’t looking for a full sus, but I have wanted to modernise my MTBing for a while and most bikes I saw in shops always looked stupidly big or pure XC and no fun. Trek Fuel Ex9 with 120mm front and rear looked a really nice compromise – just looked good for XC / gentle trails whilst also looking really nimble compared to bikes with more travel. I did look around and nearly went for a Whyte T130.

Since buying it I have start riding stuff a bit more challenging, and can now see why I might go for 140 or 150 mm travel one day… but my gut feel is you should ride the shortest travel you need, not 150mm because once a year you hit a bigger drop than you were expecting and land it badly.

v666ern
    Free Member

Yes vern.
    So slow that I’ve got time to make my second post of the day and not look at other poeoples posting history.
    How about you.

SSStu I thought you were bullying over the top on mboy thats why i called you up on it. If you feel the need to redicule my posts to make you feel better go ahead. If you have previous with mboy and its just bants my mistake but to me it was bullying.

chiefgrooveguru

SSStu I thought you were bullying over the top on mboy thats why i called you up on it. If you feel the need to redicule my posts to make you feel better go ahead. If you have previous with mboy and its just bants my mistake but to me it was bullying.

It’s not the first time he’s done that – I’m sure he’d claim it was banter but it doesn’t feel like it on screen.

poisonspider
    Free Member

I recently got a T-130 RS having been riding a Capra and I can certainly notice the drop in travel on the downs (negatively) and on the ups (positively)

I’m 5’9″ and got a medium, which seems to fit fine.

The suspension has needed a bit of fiddling to get it set right and I think I’m nearly there, I’ve added an extra token to the fork. It is a very capable descender but large square edge rocks at speed expose the reduced travel, which is not surprising really.

For what it’s worth, component wise:
    The tyres aren’t wet/sandy rock freindly, especially the rear.
    Had an issue with the SRAM Roam 30 rear wheel in that the freehub falls off when you take it out the frame. Not good.
    I’ve had issues bleeding the XT brakes too, I realise it’s not a problem with Whyte but it’s still irritating for a new bike.

I suspect it’s my riding style (which is straight line, no finesse) that makes the reduced travel more noticeable. If you’re a smooth technical rider I’m sure the T-130 can cope with pretty much any trail.

dbikeguy
    Free Member

May have a T130 c RS up for grabs at the weekend if the XL I sourced is too big for me.
    had a brief sit on one and it felt ok but at 6ft I am a little short I think.
    only size I could find and after demoing a large a few months back needed one so took a punt on it.

Would anyone be interested? box fresh

leftyboy
    Free Member

@poisonspider My Roam 40 rear did that, the freehub needs a fairly firm push to seat it past the seal and then a fairly firm pull to remove it again, it’s probably 50% more effort than on my Hope back wheel, HTH.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Thanks leftyboy,

The freehub is defo seated properly and obviously there’s a fair bit of sideways clamping force when I tighten the axle, yet it still falls off. I reckon the o-ring in the end cap might be a little undersized.

mikeep
    Free Member

Have E29 for enduro racing and had it away in the alps last year. Really impressive bike when pushing hard but felt like it was doing too much, if that makes any sense. Great for going fast but all that travel kinda removed the sense of mountain biking for me (I’ve come from hardtails in the 90’s!).

Now have a 5010 and love it. It takes more riding/line picking and can bite back pretty hard if you are riding poorly. Having to learn to ride a bike a little. Surprisingly capable bike even with less travel as geo is pretty aggressive.

Will be taking the 5010 to the alps this year as it’s more fun.

teamslug
    Free Member

My riding buddy has gone from an Ellsworth Epiphany (150mm) 26″ to T130 carbon and loves it (6′ and riding a large)…surprised he hasn’t posted yet. He was told that not very many are available well into 2017.

Euro
    Free Member

It’s not the first time he’s done that…

And now it feels like SSS is the one getting bullied. 😈

Sorry, nothing constructive to add really..or have i? If you’re using an E29 for trail centres then you are waaaaay over biked.

Trimix
    Free Member

I demoed one late last year round Afan. My normal bike is a Transition Covert with 160mm.

The Whyte was great, I only noticed the lack of travel on one of the descents over the whole weekend. Basically it was the roughest and it did make my arms and hands feel battered.

However, that was one decent over the whole weekend in Afan. Where I normally ride (Chilterns, Woburn, FoD, Swinley, South Downs, Surrey etc.) it was great.

Pick the suspension that suites the majority of your riding. Unless you live next door to BPW you will probably be fine with 130mm 🙂

stewartc
    Free Member

Yep, from a Mach6 (155mm/170mm forks) to an SB5c though I am cheating and keeping a Liteville601 for DH and Bike Park holidays when you really do need that travel.
    Really enjoying it and not missing the drop in travel at all, it suits most of my trail riding which tends to be backbreaking climbs followed by natural trails.
    It has also made me 29er curious, maybe something to look at in a year or so.

trailhound101

My old commencal meta 5.5 died (150 mm travel 26 inche wheels) and I recently bought a T130 – its the basic one with the RS Rev’s, which I didn’t like. I upgraded the forks to Bos 140 mm and am very pleased with it. It feels really quick and planted and on its first run out at ‘degla I scored 77 PB’s according to strava so definately an improvement over the Meta. Can’t wait to see how it run in the Alps later this year.

singlespeedstu

Don’t worry Euro.
    I think I can just about cope with the bullying of two over sensitive princesses. 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone from 160/ 150mm to 130mm ( thinking of a Whyte T130)’ is closed to new replies.