Home Forums Chat Forum Anyone from Annan?

• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by nbt.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone from Annan?
    nbt

Might seem a bit odd, but is there anyone on here from Annan? I know we have a few members around the borders. I’ve been cast in a play as a character specifically from Annan, and while I can do a passaable scottish brogue I’m aware that accents in Scotland vary as wildly as they do in Northern England, so I was hoping I might find someone  *with an accent local to Annan* who could record a couple of passages for me to listen to and imitate. If you can help (doesn’t have to be you, could be you know someone who could do the recording) I’d really appreciate the help…

This is the play – I’ve been cast as James Dixon

https://martinpaulroche.com/the-kings-orphan.html

It’s based on historical events and James Dixon was a real person. The story is fascinating and rehearsals have just started

zippykona

I know a lady and a rather large Scottish man from there
    I shall forward your request.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I know we have a few members around the borders.

Lesson one… Dumfries & Galloway isnae The Borders

nbt

Much appreciated, thanks. I don’t think gender will matter when it comes to copying accents

alanl
    Free Member

Yes, well, 6 miles away. Just say ken a lot, and shorten every other word, and you’ll sound local. So practice dinna, canna, fae, footba, hoose.

stanley

Hey,

I always stop off at the bakery in Annan on my motorcycle trips up north or to Ireland (via the Cairnryan ferry). The people I’ve spoken to there, assuming they are local here, all have been very friendly and chatty. They speak with that lovely, soft Scottish accent… easy for a Sassenach to understand, almost melodic. Quite appealing really.

Hope that helps!

Go for a trip to the bakery :-)

kcr
    Free Member

If you’re not bothered about gender, Ashley Jensen is from Annan, so there’s lots of easily available reference material where she uses her own accent that you could use for reference!

jamesmio
    Free Member

We had a design studio in Annan for our first 8 ish years. One of our developers and several longest suffering clients are from there. It’s some bit!

Ashley Jenson’s Annan accent has been all but BBC’d out now.

Accent wise, its pretty distinctive even compared to Dumfries / Gretna either side of it. It’s definitely got it’s own drawl. They speak quickly (like much of D&G) and draw out a few specific sounds – any words withan  ‘out’ – or ‘aark’ involved are particularly easy to make sound Annan by drawing them out a wee bit.

e.g. ‘Shout’ or ‘Parking’.

boxelder

Just don’t pronounce Annan like Mark Chapman does on the BBC 5 live ‘fitba’ coverage. It’s ‘Aaanan’, not ‘A nan’

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Al Murray has a handle on all Scottish accents, the one your looking for is the “wet shammy” accent.

alanl
    Free Member

It’s ‘Aaanan’, not ‘A nan’

Err, Annun.
    We were told off for saying the second A when we moved here.

duncancallum

Theres a bbc show called our toon i think one episode in Annan.

The accent isnt wildly different from Dumfries either but dont go as west as Stanraer. Ken?

martymac

Yin twae three
    Yappin : gossiping.

nbt

Theres a bbc show called our toon i think one episode in Annan.

Cheers, I found this

Sounds like I’m not too far off anyway, which is good. In truth I doubt anyone attending the play would notice it being “wrong”, but every bit helps

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.