• This topic has 29 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • anyone fancy a trip down memory lane ;)
  • juan
    Free Member
    soma_rich
    Free Member

Awesome wouldn't fancy hitting those rocks that fast on a hardtail!

julianwilson
    Free Member

we really are spoilt with bikes these days aren't we? Amazing what forks, tyres and brakes they rode it on, and at such speed. I was imagining sailling down that on my modern-ish nrs with nice big tyres, maxle fork and hyrdraulic discs, and then saw the flat rocky bit where one bloke falls off just in front of the other. 😯 😯 !

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

those bike seem to be at least 22" frames. mad.

unclejimmy
    Free Member

oucheroo.

1:40 in to that video, I think matey must have some sort of spinal compression after that.

ow.

slowjo
    Free Member

Disc wheel on a DH bike WTF????!

DezB
    Free Member

Great stuff! 🙂
    There's some even older – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwCojE0WI1U&feature=related check the rooty section at 4:05, I don't think they'd have so much trouble with it these days!

Woody
    Free Member

Most of those bikes would be deemed unsuitable for a trail centre nowadays, never mind DH.

Staright bars and skinny tyres, all that was missing was bar-ends. Awsome.

samcamsdad

those tioga discs were superb, my mate had one, about 700 quid at the time i think.
    cool film.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Love it. 😀

Though in fairness, I'm not sure we'd necessarily call that a DH course these days either.

nickegg
    Free Member

That was amazing!!! I didn't even know what mountain biking was in 1993!

I'm not convinced i'd go that fast on those trails with my full-sus let alone a virtually rigid hardtail! They must have been knackered by the bottom.

retro83
    Free Member

Loved the vid.

Other than sounding amazing, was there any point to those tioga disc wheels?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i used to dream of riding cap d'ail! so much so i almost drove there from the UK in the summer of 99, though chose les gets instead due to its relative proximity…

D0NK

Looks pretty tame dunnit, but those were some of the best riders in the world, admittedly on shonky bikes, so I guess as ever the camera has flattened the trails and rocks. Would still love to give it a go tho (on a modern bike mind)

glenh
    Free Member

Disc wheel on a DH bike WTF????!

Tioga disc wheels were awesome. The 'best' wheel you could get at the time.

Soup
    Free Member

150mm stem, 0 degree rise, flat narrow bars. What were we thinking?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Fantastic!! Just dug out my old Frankie CD too 8)

Tioga disc wheels were awesome. The 'best' wheel you could get at the time.

£549.95 each . . . just been flicking through my old M&P Cycles catalogue which I can't bring myself to throw out (scans here if anybody's interested).

coffeeking
    Free Member

That's proper DH to me, none of this doubles jumps and woodwork nonsense.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Great clip, cheers Juan! I think that there's some serious skills on display there, the guys are shifting.

ninenailspete
    Free Member

Mamadirt – I remember poring over that as a kid. Gutted I couldn't afford all the 3D violet beauty in there. Amazing how some stuff's way cheaper, but some stuff's way more expensive now. Ringle stem for £133, anyone?

kimbers

awesome

can you still ride that track?

RealMan
    Free Member

Most of them don't even seem to have put their saddles down..

Blower
    Free Member

Well said Coffeking… 😉

awesome vid that,disc wheels ahhh…

Free Member

FAT 😉

Free Member

You didn't even have to spell it with a PH then either, Fat was just that, none of this Phat (radcore dude mofo) rubbish.

willej

Love the trashed disc drive! Why were so many using latex tubes? What did they think would happen to them?

Mamadirt, thanks for sharing the M&P catalogue. Sheer retro p0rn.

MrSparkle

I remember that being on a mtb programme on primetime (imagine that now!). Did I spot Phillipe Perakis (71) and Greg Herbold there?

robhughes
    Free Member

off the same youtube page.
    now this is a downhill bike 😉

juan
    Free Member

Well I need to show that to the lbs owners… Mind you I won't, as it would be hearing the story about how he fixed a puncture for missy herself this day.

A bit of gossip from the wine grap, why cap d'ague?
    Well because the main sponsor (grundig) had the hostel there. And he wanted a race at his hotel…

The bloke you see in the starting blok at the beginning, is François Dola, he's been mr mavic for years and now he owns the "la roue libre" bike shop.

And I think we use to ride that for lunch sometimes (I think).

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘anyone fancy a trip down memory lane ;)’ is closed to new replies.