Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone ever been attacked by a bird while riding?
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

Just been sent a video of my Mum and Dad out road riding where my Mum get swooped on by what looks like a buzzard! It apparently had happened a couple of times before on the same road so this time my Dad whipped his iPhone out and got a video.

I’m just trying to cut it down a bit then I’ll stick it on YouTube.

Seems a bit crazy for it to have happened so many times. I know my Mum is quite small, but you wouldn’t of though a bird of prey would mistake her for a rabbit or something!

hainey
    Free Member

Buzzard attacks happened a lot in a small village where i used to live in Staffordshire, bikes and runners. Took a chunk out of my dads head once.

jp-t853

It has regularly happened to runners near me in two spots. One woman had quite bad scratching to her hands and head.

I have cycled through these spots with the buzzards watching me but they haven’t had a go.

Post the link when you have it

fasthaggis

A Parrot in Majorca .
    Stupid thing ,it followed us for ages 🙄

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Aussie Magpies are a damn menace, it’s not happened to me but it sure does happen.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHreVKgOT4[/video]

zippykona

Some sort of magpie thing would attack me when I was in Australia.
    A lot of people would have eyes stuck to back of their helmets.
    Edit,as seen on you tube!

cakefacesmallblock

Not really been attacked as such , but twice I’ve had Buzzards swoop very low and close at me whilst I’ve been riding in Wyre Forest. On the second occasion I was just conscious of a shadow above me, then the bird came into view and flew off in front about 2 metres above the ground, following the trail for about a hundred metres, before flying into a tree and just watching me pass.

tlr

Yep, a magpie attacked me twice riding through Ellenwood near Perth, Australia. Drew blood as well, thankfully I was wearing a helmet.

wwaswas

A squirrel fell out of a tree and landed on my head once.

theotherjonv

Some bloke on a Brompton in nottingham.

tomhoward

Yeah, she was furious after I wolf whistled her.

Cracking ar*e though.

#chauvinismisntdeadyet

glupton1976
    Free Member

Only after going to the rodeo. 😉

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve been dive-bombed by lapwings, on and off road…

Lifer
    Free Member

Never been attacked but there’s a section of my long road loop that goes down a singletrack lane, hedgerows either side. Often have a load of Swallows fly along with me for around 150 yards or so which is quite fun!

There’s (what I think is) a Red Kite or Marsh Harrier that lives in a field on the way to my local woods and a Green Woodpecker on the MTB loop that tries to lead me away from it’s nest. That’s the closest I get to agression, a bit of chirping and ‘chase me! chase me!’

AlasdairMc

I was charged by what I took to be a ptarmigan in the Cairngorms. I crested a little rise in the trail to find a baby bird on the ground, it ran off, and the mummy bird took that as me trying to squash it, so flew straight at me. On the plus side, it bumped my speed up a bit.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive had a squirel hit me in the head sideways along with conkers. It was a very windy day.
    Some sort of woodpecker swoops at me in the woods during nesting time.

geologist
    Free Member

Yeah – I got a restraining order taken out against her 😉

wittonweavers
    Free Member

my Dad whipped his iPhone out and got a video

Made up to see that videoing the event was more important than trying to help his wife defend herself!

My kinda guy!

eemy
    Free Member

I was swooped by a buzzard. Very scary, then funny, then scary again, then thought I’d escaped before it came back and scared me again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

nearly
    Rounded a corner to see a buzzard in the road eating a rabbit. It set off and as it was facing me it flew straight at me with claws out as it headed at my head , it may have been just trying to get away though. Massive when you have two hands on the bars and one of those about 2 foot away. I binned the bike trying to avoid it.

Happened to fast to be scared but trust me flying at your face they are massive.

Junkyard
    Free Member

nearly
    Rounded a corner to see a buzzard in the road eating a rabbit. It set off and as it was facing me it flew straight at me with claws out as it headed at my head , it may have been just trying to get away though. Massive when you have two hands on the bars and one of those about 2 foot away. I binned the bike trying to avoid it.

Happened to fast to be scared but trust me flying at your face they are massive.

rOcKeTdOg

another go
    when swans attack

martinhutch

Yep, the swans on the towpath at Skipton are like Daily Mail readers.

They hate cyclists, regardless of circumstances.

househusband

Yup; buzzard in Yair Forest, Scottish Borders – one of the guys I was riding got talon scratch marks in the top he was wearing.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Wow, ive been stalked lately by a huge Buzzard which made me feel a bit hot round the collar, hadn’t reasonably thought it might have a go…

core

Was out the other night & had a buzzards watch us very closely from a telegraph pole, never contemplated it might attack though.

Was out shooting last night & had a bat follow us around for best part of an hour, bit creepy!

Also had to release a buzzard from a Larsen trap (legal, for forbids) once, got it in a bag, then Mrs dropped it, thing went ape shit but luckily just flew off!

scant
    Free Member

I’ve been attacked by a bird riding the road climbing up to Taupo New Zealand. again some kind of buzzard

kevin1911

Yep, got swooped by a buzzard at Glentress of All places. Also been dive bombed by bats who obviously thought they were in for a feast. But they’re mammals, so probably don’t count.

somafunk

There’s a few buzzards that have swooped down and tried to grab roadies in our area nr to Castle Douglas, some have left talon marks on the helmets and there’s one particular stretch of road that is owned by a very territorial buzzard that everyone is aware of, they could make a mess of a bare head if the claws got under your scalp.

mapu
    Free Member

Buzzed once by a very angry red kite in the Chilterns. There are millions of the buggers, usually floating around in the distance – hence my surprise.

nwill1
    Free Member

S*#t… I was ridding solo on single track through Kinver last week and a buzzard swooped parallel to me, only a couple of meters away, then on my return it flew over me again.

At the time I thought it was a magical experience, as close to flying as I could imagine (both times going flat out down hill) now I’m thinking it was a close escape and am fearful of going back alone!!!

Waderider
    Free Member

I was attacked by an Magpie in Brisbane, I thought it kind of fun. Wearing a helmet helped!

stevious

Scant – no buzzards in NZ, just HArriers (the big bird of prey here) and falcons (smaller bird of prey). Most likely a harrier having a go.

They have the Aussie magpies in NZ and there are a few bits of road I avoided last spring because of them.

Also had a Bonxie attack me on the way to climb the Old Man of Stoer, followed by a fulmar vomit attack as I abseiled back down after climbing.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

There’s a few buzzards that have swooped down and tried to grab roadies in our area nr to Castle Douglas, some have left talon marks on the helmets and there’s one particular stretch of road that is owned by a very territorial buzzard that everyone is aware of, they could make a mess of a bare head if the claws got under your scalp.

Clatteringshaws road? Thats where it was. Didnt realise it was a known area for a territorial bird!

antigee

another victim of aussie magpies here – think its called swooping season – first time thought “whats all the fuss about” next time it was the other Gallagher brother – nearly had my head off

tremadog climbing in days when helmets weighed more than cars and most people didn’t – a raven drew blood big time defending a nest that I was no where near, not sure if I at time I was more embarrassed by the lead fall or the lack of MTFU on the injury

rentachimp
    Free Member

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever been attacked by a bird while riding?’ is closed to new replies.