Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone else building a model today?
  • Merak

Mrs M got me a Tamiya for Crimbo, excellent! It started about 11am I’m only just finished!

I’m a novice so I wondered what to do with the orange cable coming from the speed control unit. As I understand it the unit can run brushless or brushed, what’s the difference? Is the orange cable is surplus then?

Also when I reverse it takes a couple of go’s on the remote before it’ll move really hesitant whereas forward motion is instant.

Any pointers appreciated.

shooterman

Yup – not motorised though!

Wookster

Damn……wrong end of the stick…… 😉

Looks wicked though!!!

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Hi Merak,

Looks like you had a good day then!

I built one up for one of my lads earlier in the year, and use to race them (like many) when I was a kid.

The way it reverses is normal – that’s just the way the Tamiya speed controllers work, a slight hesitation when you go into reverse and then a slow reverse speed.

Not sure about the spare cable – you should have one small black connector that goes to the receiver, then 2 bullet connectors that go to the motor, and the connector for the main battery pack…

mc
    Free Member

As proline says, that’s how most speed controllers work by default.

First pull into reverse simply brakes, then takes another neutral to reverse move to actually start reversing. If it’s not consistent, it could be because you’ve not configured the neutral point on the speed controller (read the manual, as I can’t remember of the top of my head!)

Merak

Aye, theres’ an orange, blue and yellow cable from the controller. I wondered if the orange cable was for a brushless motor?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Airfix Vulcan for me. Although I have decided to wait and get a more precise glue applicator as the one that came with it is not very good. I’m properly excited as I haven’t built an air fix for about 20 years.

Merak

Pics please Andy.:)

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’ll upload some when I properly get going. After seeing the Vulcan a couple of times this year and not being fancying any of the current Lego technics models for something to build over xmas I stumbled across the airfix Vulcan. Trouble was no where had any stock. After hours of googling I managed to find one left in shop in Germany so bought it from there.
    Does humbrol glue go off? I’m sure I have a tool box in the loft with some glue and paint in.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Does humbrol glue go off? I’m sure I have a tool box in the loft with some glue and paint in.

It can dry up, yes, Revell do a poly cement with a very fine applicator. Which then leaves you with the typical Airfix ‘fit’ problem…

andysredmini
    Free Member

What’s the typical airfix fit problem?
    It has taken me over 2 hours to remove the flash from the pilot and co pilot, ejector seats and seat base plate. Involved lots of trimming and sanding. I don’t remember the models of old having so much flash but I probably didn’t care when I was a kid. I probably just glued it anyway before painting everything the one and only colour I had (shiny silver).

survivor

Old and worn moulds not getting replaced.

andysredmini
    Free Member

That makes sense. I read somewhere this xh558 is the same model released in the mid 80’s just put in a new box.

colournoise

Does Lego count?

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Airfix MGB here, saw it in the charity shop for £4 with all the paints and stuff (should have been out riding, but not feeling the weather) I’d be gutted if I’d paid £12.50 it says on the box! More flash than Gordon and the chrome parts are just grey like everything else, just silver paint.
    I might “convert” it from a green MGB to a Red MGC I know someone with a nice real one. Weather he wants a badly made, Shonky 1/32 copy of it with dull chrome….

juanking

Debenhams have a 1:24 hawker hurricane reduced from £60 to £30, just bought one!
    http://m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_171050681499_-1

john_drummer
    Free Member

Airfix “fit” problems are well known, especially on the older kits. I.e it doesn’t fit together without a LOT of elastic bands, bulldog clips, clothes pegs , filler etc.
    I had the 1/32 MGB. Gave up on it. Revell & Tamiya especially do much better kits, IMO

richmars

I would post mine if the photo link worked.

richmars

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Spent a few hours today turning this

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CyRQdm]IMG_4150[/url] by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

into this

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ca2YEj]28th December 2015[/url] by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

via some tiny bits of awkwardness!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C3EbGV]IMG_4156[/url] by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

I know it’s not much, but I think it’s pretty cool!

derek_starship
    Free Member

I got a Haynes Classic camera kit. All the bits to build a twin lens reflex camera.

I’ve not cracked it open yet but it looks pretty good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a small stockpile of kits to build (Mini Cooper, jeep, motorised tank, some zombies), must set aside some time.

I found myself looking at that Hurricane but I’d prefer to get good at it first! I build lots as a kid but was never brilliant.

danbarker

Just ordered a Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 1:24 Gift Set from the airfix website, £19.99 in the winter sale.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/winter-sale/messerschmitt-bf109e-4-1-24.html

Should be fun, not built an airfix kit for years!

tomhoward

Got my dad a tamiya 1/32 dehaviland mosquito, after he decided to get back into modelling (wait, not that modelling) after I got him the Lego sopwith camel for his birthday (get one, it’s ace)

On having a look at the detail and sheer number of parts, I fear I may have bitten off more than he can chew 😕

Any one got/made it? How hard is it (he was pretty good at air fix kits etc when he was a teenager, but that was 45 years ago, so might be a little rusty…

https://www.emodels.co.uk/tamiya-1-32-de-havilland-mosquito-fb-mk-vi-60326-plastic-model-kit.html

cheekyget
    Free Member

I did metal starwars too….3 of them
    [URL=http://s512.photobucket.com/user/cheekyget/media/Apr15/4C94CF7C-07DD-48B4-8E8B-D2D351D6ED21_zps0mraqgik.jpg.html][/URL]

craigxxl
    Free Member

Loving these Stars Wars models. Just looked them up and good value too.

everyone
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a 1:72 Victor Mk2 model kit. Since I’ve got nothing to build the thing yet I’m considering getting something like this to get me started (as well as paints, glues etc)

Is this sensible? Also any tips on how to not go mad would be much appreciated!

goon
    Free Member

I’m continuing my Revell 1/32 Typhoon. I have used the Aires addon cockpit.

It’s a big lump.

john_drummer
    Free Member

@ everyone – that looks a useful tool set. You could also get some Tamiya masking tape and some Humbrol Maskol – use a cotton bud to apply that stuff as it eats paintbrushes. For something as big as the v-bombers or a 1/32 mossie, I’d be tempted to use an airbrush or, if that’s too big for the budget, aerosol cans. Mask off the glazing then spray the whole model in the palest colour and give at least 24 hours to dry. Then mask of the bits that you want to keep pale with a combination of the Tamiya masking tape, newspaper and Maskol and repeat with the next palest colour, and repeat.

I then give the whole model a coat of gloss varnish before doing the decals, add the decals, then another coat of varnish – either Matt or gloss depending on the final finish. Only then do I remove the masking on the glazed bits

Leave the fiddly bits off and paint them by hand, then add them after the bulk of the model is complete

stumpy01

OP – yeah, the orange wire from the esc is just for a brushless motor, so not used on that kit unless you upgrade the motor.
    Worth keeping the instructions for the esc as it details the steps required to re-configure it to brushless…

dannybgoode

And a brushless upgrade is well worth it. Bl motors are brutalness miniaturised…

stumpy01

This was my present to myself in the run-up to Christmas. Built it over 3 days in bits and pieces.

Need to spray the body at some point. I’ve gone for fluo pink and white.

It’s a Tamiya Neo Fighter.

Merak

Cheers Stumpy and dbg. I take it the ESC will be compatible with a brushless motor? Would I need stainless steel bearings? Arrgh! I’ve got enough bloody things to spend my money on! Now I’ve spied Schumacher cars as well dammit.

Neo fighter looks good, one of the reasons I went for the violet super fighter was I dodged the paint issue. Must be a task no?

M6TTF
    Free Member

I also got that r2d2 kit – you need hawk eyes, and hands of a child!!!!

cheviots
    Free Member

Just finished my sons Darth Vader Tie Fighter, talk about fiddly!
    You need the patience of a saint and hands of a heart surgeon, hopefully no-one thinks I enjoyed it a gets me one for my birthday.

v8ninety

I went for the violet super fighter was I dodged the paint issue. Must be a task no?

Painting RC body shells is very satisfying, mostly as because you paint them on the inside, which makes getting a flawless pro look finish relatively easy. And then they stay looking great for, ooh, all of a couple of days… 😆

stumpy01

Merak, yeah assuming the esc is the same as mine then it should be the compatible with brushless motors – fairly mild ones, I think.

Bearings are definitely a good idea. I ordered some when I got the kit.

Consider upgrading the shocks to the oil filled ones if you find the friction ones a bit bouncy.

I have always wanted to spray one of these up. I’ve gone for the suggested ‘Frog’ scheme but using fluo pink instead of pale pink.
    I was a bit impatient cutting the body out using kitchen scissors and an old hobby knife. It went ok though for a first attempt though.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else building a model today?’ is closed to new replies.