Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Anyone drive a 1 series BMW?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

It’s new car time and i’ve been weighing up all my options. It’s boiled down to small/mid size hatch like a a3 or 1 series or an estate 3 series/a4.

To get the spec I want and miles etc I think the 1 series is the best fit, plus I really like the shape. It’s going to be a diesel more than likely sport or M Sport spec. So the question, who has one and what’s it like. Any must know things or must have options?

I’ve been and sat in one and really liked it, interior isn’t the best looking but feels solid. Boots looks plenty big enough for 2 bikes but would be fitting tow car and rack.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A relation has an M1 goes like stink ride is extremely harsh. Good size for bike car. 3 better.

There are a few threads

We are thinking if an X1 – used say 3 years old, my wife throught X3 was too big. We want 4wd

Type this for example into google

site:singletrackworld.com bmw x1

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/car-choice-audi-a3-or-bmw-1-series

clunker

I had a couple of them as great cars but rear leg room was poor for my children so gone 3 series this time.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Clunker, what milage did you do, bought from new, sold when, servicing etc ?

Rosss
    Free Member

M1 would be a dream, looked at the M135i but it’s a stretch too far at the minute. Maybe next time.

Thanks for the link to the thread, will give it a read.

I do like the look of the X1 in the right spec and I like the idea of the higher driving position too

somouk
    Free Member

We are thinking if an X1

If you do, don’t bother with the M Sport, go for an X Line, I had one and it was a nightmare ride. Sold it after 6 months in favour of an Audi.

Plus run flats are the work of the devil at low profile like on the M Sports.

New X1s you can spec adjustable suspenstion which is worth it if you’re going for the M Sport.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are quite a few 3 series owners here who like them a lot as all round bike cars. My wife won’t have an estate but a 4wd is not an estate 😐

somuk yes thnaks, definitely won’t be an M, my wife has a neck problem and harsh ride cars are a major issue. If we get an X1 the runflats will be swapped out

br
    Free Member

Anyone drive a 1 series BMW?[/I]

I think you need this forum 🙂

http://www.hairdressersforum.co.uk/

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The has one of the latest models. Its a really nice car I think. The rear leg room isn’t that bad, they’ve grown over the models and are no longer a small car. We’ve had 4 adults in it no worries. We went for the 1.6ltr turbo petrol engine, the same that’s in the Mini Cooper S. Plenty enough poke for normal every day driving and reasonable mpg. The best bit about it is it drives really well, I like to get out in it as much as I can. Not much to say really, a really good competent car. This model is the last of the rwd chassis, the next model will get the FWD chassis of the Mini.

km79
    Free Member

Anyone drive a 1 series BMW?

Yes plenty, they are mostly losers.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have the M135i – no rear legroom issues at all, boot is bigger than on the A3 Sportback, 3 door gets frameless doors which are a big boost over the 5 door in tight spaces as double press on the remote drops the windows for you, etc.
    Has the adaptive suspension which unlike most is fully adaptive so regardless of which mode it is in – it is constantly adjusting rather than just locking into one setting like others.
    Ride on standard MPSS is good – traction insane once warm, on Sottozeros at the moment until temps stay above 10-12 and it drys and they are brilliant on it too.
    Make sure you can hack the offset pedals though as many can’t without lumbar spec’d.
    Auto is sublime – the ZF8 box super smooth and ridiculously fast – again changes according to mode selected.

One thing you really must do if its new though – HAGGLE.
    20% is a given and more available if you push.
    A 140 (135 no longer available) can be had for a lot, lot less than you think.

clunker

jambalaya – Member
    Clunker, what milage did you do, bought from new, sold when, servicing etc ?

The most recent 1 was 60,000 miles over two years, serviced twice. I got a good deal on a new 335d xdrive this time around

My local BMW dealer is excellent, although they have been totally sh@t with my Mini.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

‘Coz winners hang around on internet forums, innit? 😛

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’ve driven a couple of the earlier models. They were bad and put me off them. The cabin felt really small and the seats weren’t very comfortable. The ride wasn’t great either.

They felt a bit like a BMW for people that couldn’t afford a 3 series but wanted the badge on their keyring. It didn’t compete with the Golf or Audi A3. The Focus at the same time was a nicer place to be.

The new models might be better.

Kryton57

F20 120d MSport owner here.

double press on the remote drops the windows for you

My 5 door does that too.

Not much to say really, a really good competent car.

This. Originally i purchased mine in a bit of a rush to get a car, and back on the BMW ladder after minimal research. The car is mainly for me as we have another largish family vehicle. . 12000 miles all over the South of England and i cant justify the extra cost to get the 320d Touring i originally wanted. Yes its grown, i can get 2 bikes and camping gear with me and a passenger without using the roof racks and/or towbar. The current shape / mine looks good especially in msport guise, its plenty quick enough, lots of torque and i regulalrly get 55mpg without trying – I’ve had 63mpg out of it. It also is £30 VED. Again, some day the interior is dull, I like logic and the fact that everything is automaically setup fo me including my phone charging and connected as soon as I sit in the seat, with no fuss.

Interior front end is basically 3 series and a nice place to be. They say the manual pedals are off set but it doesnt bother me. Again, the msport & runflat ride can be firm by thats to preference and I’m fine with it.

Personally I feel its a well made hatchback with a bit of performance, some frugality and there RWD to have fun / diffrentiate with.

Oh and contrary to popular belief BMW ownership is not as necessarily as much more expensive than other Marques as people like to make out, especially when you factor in the ability to work on the wifi and have breakfast in the Lifestyle cafe while your car gets serviced. 😉

Drac

Yeah I have driven one loads. Not a very nice car.

nickc

who has one and what’s it like

got one, it’s fine. I find the seats comfy they’re heated which is cosy in winter, it’s mostly squeak/rattle free, the idrive thingy for the telly is pretty intuitive, the speakers are good, the DAB radio means I can get Radio6, pretty economical, it’s do 55mpg despite being a 125d, and it’ll easily do double the speed limit should you wish, looks are divisive, I quite like them (and sit inside after all) other’s hate the look. rear wheel drive means you can pretend to be on a rally stage when you go off road.

nickc

weird double post thingy…

joefm

An M1? Lucky

Rosss
    Free Member

Well, considering I just asked for car advice on STW that went surprisingly well.

Going to look at a test drive over the weekend after I’ve drooled over the cars at autosport show!

MPG figures sounds ace, my current car does 45 which I’m happy with so 55 would be great.

vongassit
    Free Member

I have a decent 2006 120D sport , can’t say I really like it that much. Heavy steering (around town) & horrible notchy 6 speed gearbox (tallish geared) are my biggest gripes. 167hp so it goes like stink tho, granny driving get’s around 50 mpg.

No surprises in hearing it’s small, I’m 5ft 6″ so it’s not too bad for me. Also it’s low (standard) & dropping into it is not that nice. seats are comfy, it’s very firm on the road & more prone to understeer than oversteer when pushed hard. I would also say that the steering rack ratio is fairly quick & booting along our highland A roads requires mucho concentrato.

I do like the way it looks & after a V6 petrol Alfa my pocket is so much happier. But really after 18 months the jury is leaning to disapointed!

Kryton57

You have rhe old one though ^^. Its not a good car and is quite different.

tenfoot

Ive had a 13 plate 120d M Sport as a company car for the last 18 months. Great little car, roomy enough for 2 adults and 2 kids, we’ve had 2 bikes in the back with the seats folded. It goes back to the lease company in July and I’ll miss it.

jkomo

Love my 120D, it’s ace. Really reliable, quick, fun, frugal.
    Seats are shit though, it’s an M btw.

johnners
    Free Member

I have a decent 2006 120D sport , can’t say I really like it that much.

As above, the F series is a much better car, quite a bit more room inside too. Not sure I’d ever say actually roomy though I think it’s decent enough in its class.

CountZero

Had a 116l Sport for a brief time, total of a couple of hours driving, on Friday and Monday. Now, I am not, and never have been, a fan of Beemers, but I have to admit it was a very nice car to drive, comfortable and well equipped.
    September ’13 first registered, 1600 petrol, very light, direct steering, and handling seemed very direct and precise.
    Not much more I can add, like how it would be to live with on a day-to-day basis, but then a rest drive won’t do that either.
    If you’re in the market, worth checking one out; it could almost convince me to want one, and that isn’t something I would have thought possible six months ago!

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve got a 65 plate 125d. I love it. Ok it’s pretty small (95% of the time it’s just me in it) but it can get 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog with a boot full of luggage at a squeeze. I like the seats, comfy and supportive, I also love the overall driving position, most cars I can only just reach the wheel when the seats as far back as it goes! The 8 speed box is sodding brilliant, it’s got flappy paddles but I never use them. Mines got adaptive suspension which really makes a big difference. It goes like a stabbed rat when you want it to, but cruising at the speed limit to Lemans it returned 46mpg, I can get 50+ but not at motorway speeds. Oh, and the improved stereo is superb as well.
    The problem can be the cost. Mine was £37k list… it’s got a lot of options ticked but that’s a lot for a diesel hatch! I didn’t pay that for it though, it was a very well specked demonstrator with under 100 miles on the clock so was £10k cheaper

Surprising number of bellends hate you for having a BMW though, don’t expect to be let out of many junctions!

jambalaya
    Free Member
    RickDraper
    Free Member

I have a 15 plate 125d m-sport. It’s a great commuter on the 180 mile work trip but if I’d been sensible a 118d would have been better. It’s a sports auto and I’d not go back to a manual now. Ride is not that great but I’ve just got 37k from a set of run flats with mostly motorway driving. I can average 45mpg-50mpg on a run so it’s not too bad and when you want to thrap it it’s not too shy.

Think I’m going to trade it in for a m140i as the deals on them are too good not too.

mysterymove
    Free Member

Just returned a 1 series hire car I had for two weeks.

118 sport petrol – utter sh!te
    1.5l 3 cylinder engine – how can they call this sport? OK if you leave it in second until the 3 cylinders are bursting out of the bonnet it starts to be vaguely amusing.

Non of the controls make any sense (auto wipers mean randomly on when you dont need them and off when you do), the DAB cut out every 5 minutes and the sat nav takes an age to get going.

Boot not big enough for a suit case, put the back seats down and it was a real struggle to get a bike in and out of.

I’ll go and get back in bed to get out on the right side…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well Sport is not all about POWWWEEEEERRRRRR!!!!! and ‘Pressing on’. The Sport pack refers to the wheels, suspension and interior trim – all engine options are available in sport trim. For me sporty is not about power but how the car feels and handles. And that is what the 1 series has in spades. The 1.5ltr turbo model will be a damn sight more sporty than a Golf VR6 or similar – they’re not sporty at all, just inelegant sledgehammers – point and squirt. Way too much power to use and it’s all being electronically reigned back by the limitations of the chassis and the driver anyway. A small zingy engine in a competent chassis is the ultimate definition of what a sports car is. But each to their own and remember, other engine options are available if you do feel the need for a bit more oomph.

As for the boot – depends on the suitcase. I can get two of our big family suitcases in no hassle, but some suitcases are bigger than others. Having said that the boot is not as big as a Focus or Golf or similar, but some people don’t need a boot that big. For us as long as it fits in the family weekly shop it’s big enough. But If you need to accommodate two trunks for your holiday gear then obviously a 1 series is not for you. Doesn’t make it a bad car, just not suited to your needs. As for bikes – well that is what roof racks are for. Why would you want to put dirty bikes in your car anyway.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

tinybits – Member

I’ve got a 65 plate 125d. I love it. Ok it’s pretty small (95% of the time it’s just me in it) but it can get 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog with a boot full of luggage at a squeeze. I like the seats, comfy and supportive, I also love the overall driving position, most cars I can only just reach the wheel when the seats as far back as it goes! The 8 speed box is sodding brilliant, it’s got flappy paddles but I never use them. Mines got adaptive suspension which really makes a big difference. It goes like a stabbed rat when you want it to, but cruising at the speed limit to Lemans it returned 46mpg, I can get 50+ but not at motorway speeds. Oh, and the improved stereo is superb as well.
    The problem can be the cost. Mine was £37k list… it’s got a lot of options ticked but that’s a lot for a diesel hatch! I didn’t pay that for it though, it was a very well specked demonstrator with under 100 miles on the clock so was £10k cheaper

Surprising number of bellends hate you for having a BMW though, don’t expect to be let out of many junctions!
    Has davidtaylforth started a sideline of account hacking now?

julians
    Free Member

I have an f20 m135i, its a decent car, a little on the small side,but we (family of 3) still manage to use it for camping trips.

Had mine for 3 years/32k, no issues so far,no complaints apart from its not an m4.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Drove a brand new 116 in 2014 for 10 days (hire car).

I was nice to drive. Nice to sit in. Just all a bit ‘nice’. Not inspiring in the least and smaller inside than you’d’ve thought.

I’ve never really understood the fuss about BMWs (besides an M6). A 535 was a big let down and driven back to back with an E320 they didn’t seem to be in the same league.

I’d be looking at well specced Golfs or an A3.

Sandwich

Surfmatt is that you?

tinybits
    Free Member

Has davidtaylforth started a sideline of account hacking now?

???

having said that the boot is not as big as a Focus or Golf

havn’t looked at the volume but by MK7 golf was wider but not as deep. Certainly long items will fit diagonally in the 1 series and had to go across the back seat in the golf.

lowey

Reading with interest. My Golf GTD is up for renewal later and I was thinking about a M140 to replace it.

nickc

lowey, I tried a GTD and Beamer when I was getting mine. You’ll miss the suspension on your golf if you decide to swap, it’s better (less crashy) than the Beamer, but in most other stuff it’s pretty similar in terms of kit, comfort, space and so on. there’s really not much in it. I would have been happy either way, the Beamer I got came at a price I couldn’t ignore for the wish list car I wanted

tinybits
    Free Member

I was after a GTD when I got the 125d, but the driving position of the BMW (for me, very long legs, silly short arms) meant the BMW won. I still feel vaguely embarrassed about the 1 series with it’s bright blue paintwork, the blacked out windows and bright blue brake calipers… It’s a chav mobile no mistake!
    Oh, and I can get my bikes inside but I put them on the roof mainly – it’s just easier.

tenfoot

I went from a Mk6 Golf GT Diesel, to the 120d M Sport. I would say that the Golf is probably an easier car to drive smoothly, the gearbox on manual BMWs can be a bit notchy, and the Golf steering had more feel. My M Sport 1 does have a tendency to tramline but overall it’s a well balanced car and is the first company car I’ve had that I haven’t got bored with after 6 months.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Anyone drive a 1 series BMW?’ is closed to new replies.