Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Anyone drive a 1 series BMW?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

gastromonkey – Member

I’ve driven a couple of the earlier models. They were bad and put me off them. The cabin felt really small and the seats weren’t very comfortable. The ride wasn’t great either.

They felt a bit like a BMW for people that couldn’t afford a 3 series but wanted the badge on their keyring. It didn’t compete with the Golf or Audi A3. The Focus at the same time was a nicer place to be.

The new models might be better.

Do you know what? I drove a couple of the early ones for a week here and there and thought the exact opposite.

I was given them as hire cars, wasn’t so keen (BMWs of my youth had the same sort reputation as Audi seems to have to suffer now) expected them to be “cheapest way to get the badge” cars, but they weren’t.

The compromise for them was room, making a small RWD car means smaller boot, less rear leg room and less cabin space in general, but if you don’t have lots of people or stuff to move around all the time it’s hardly an issue. (or you spend more on a 3/5) the upside was a very balanced car that feels nice to drive – all that ‘perfect weight distribution’ stuff they bleat about does isn’t just hyperbole, the upside/downside of that was the first 116i I had was frustrating because it cornered like a little sports car, but couldn’t pull a greased stick out of a dog’s arse – but you start to drive it like a van, never brake, carry speed and it was nice. The 120d was better.

I’ve never been tempted to buy one, on balance I need space more than neat handling and it would cost too much to get a 3 Touring I’d like.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Plus run flats are the work of the devil at low profile like on the M Sports.

The F series cars ride really well – certainly compared to the last E series cars. Our E90 m Sport was bloody awful.

I like the current 1 series and came pretty close to ordering one for a company car but I couldn’t get an M Sport with a half decent engine. I had a 118d M Sport for a day and really liked it. It seemed OK inside size wise and was a big step up from the previous generation.

There are good discounts to be had – try Coast 2 Coast cars as a starting point.

afrothunder88

I’ve got a F20 116D, 2 years old, ~20K done so far and have essentially no complaints. The ride is nice, its pretty economical (can easily get more than 600m on a full tank even with a roofbox on), the interior is a nice place to be (although I wish I’d gone for leather). I can quite happily do a 6 hour drive and get out feeling great and I’m 6’2, never even noticed that the pedals were offset before.

Still on the original tires (runflats) and other than the iDrive LCD dying after about 10K we’ve had no issues. Despite not getting round to putting winter tires on and the originals are looking a bit low we’ve had no issues with traction at all this winter. Once the lease is up we’ll probably hand it back as we’ll be probably have child #2 around that point at which point it’ll be too small – having a rear facing car seat in means there’s not a great deal of room left in the front passenger seat. Can easily get an 85L holdall and large suitcase in the boot – I was surprised at just how big the boot is.

I got an M135i for a day when the LCD was being replaced, that was really something, I’d have one in a heartbeat if I could justify it. Quick, balanced and a decent engine note – that was a fun day.

flange
    Free Member

I’ve got a ’62 plate 135i. I’ve had it since Xmas eve and its flippin ace. Previously had a Mk5 Golf GT TDI and this is light years ahead, apart from the fact that I worry more about it when parked in the station car park.

It helps that mine was mega low mileage and owned by a bloke who really looked after it (compared to my Golf that had been owned by me!) but it just does everything really well – easily takes a bike, comfy, fast, handles well. I’ve got an M6 that’s spent more time broken that it has running and comparing the two, speed wise there isn’t much in it and the 1-er is far easier to live with.

The only downside (if I’m being picky) is that an 8-speed gearbox is one too many gears – the autobox is always changing up or down. However I’d imagine this is why it gets better fuel economy that it should all things considered. I’m also not sold on the stop/start business but i’m sure there’s a way to turn it off.

Teapot
    Free Member

Got a 118d M sport, won’t be getting another one.

Golf or A3 is a much better option (had all 3 at some point) although the extra space in an Octavia estate would be my preference.

JackHammer

In that sort of size car I really like the volvo V40 and especially the blue R-design one *dribble*

I don’t know why, I just really like it haha.

It’s probably crap.

craigxxl
    Free Member

My wife has had an E82 120d Coupe M Sport Auto (6 spd) for a few years now, zero issues and the ride on run flats is a damn sight more comfortable (and reliable) than the Mini she had before it which we’d but on standard tyres. Boot storage isn’t the biggest but we’ve had 2 cases in quite easily, limiting factor is the boot opening size on the Coupe, probably not a problem for the hatch. The 1 series coupe don’t exist now as they have made the even number series coupes now.
    I was that impressed by her car that I looked at BMW’s to replace the piece of shit Octavia that is a firm favourite on this forum. Looked at the 2 Series and it is one of the best handling cars I’ve driven for a while but boot wasn’t big enough. The 4 series boot was big enough but not as much fun to drive as the 2 series so ended buying a 3 series M Sport which was the the sensible choice. All the cars driven were M Sport on 19 inch wheels and very low profile tyres and felt like a magic carpet ride compared to the Octavia. Didn’t entertain any VAG cars as a replacement due to crap build quality.

Kryton57

I’m also not sold on the stop/start business but i’m sure there’s a way to turn it off.

The large “off” button by the ignition start/stop?

afrothunder88

I do not understand people’s complaints about the stop/start – it literally “just works”. Engine goes off, engine starts when you put the clutch in and is sorted by the time the car is back in gear, what is there be not be sold on?!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I do not understand people’s complaints about the stop/start – it literally “just works”. Engine goes off, engine starts when you put the clutch in and is sorted by the time the car is back in gear, what is there be not be sold on?!

Me niether. It’s pretty unintrusive on either or our cars.

tinybits
    Free Member

only issue seems to be that it turns back on pretty quickly compared to a VW system, however as I do a country road commute it doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

timc
    Free Member

Get the auto with the diesel engine would be my advice having extensively driven both auto & manual

Sundayjumper

Old model, but we had an E87 118d SE for a couple of years and it was a great car. No issues at all apart from the price BMW wanted to change the rear brake pads ! So I did it myself.

I’m 6’4″ and found it very comfortable to drive, and also had no problem sitting in the back, so I’m not sure how big these people are who say it is too small. Especially if the F20 is bigger. The E87 boot was pretty small though.

Re: the X1, we looked at an E84 recently and I felt underwhelmed tbh, it didn’t have the BMW “feel” I was expecting, seemed a bit cheap.

Kryton57

Re: the X1, we looked at an E84 recently and I felt underwhelmed tbh, it didn’t have the BMW “feel” I was expecting, seemed a bit cheap.

My experience as well. However, the new bigger shape is much more refined and polished. Should BMW phone me and convince me to extend my PCP in the next year, the new shape X Line with 4×4 would be the perfect me / bike vehicle IMO, as the only bug bear I have with mine is mincing it across a field/forest track with humps & gullies at Gorrick events.

br
    Free Member

I’m also not sold on the stop/start business but i’m sure there’s a way to turn it off. [/I]

On my 435d there’s the off button or you can also put it in to ‘Sport’ mode, then it doesn’t stop/start.

Sandwich

I do not understand people’s complaints about the stop/start

From a sample size of one (step-mother) it’s because she can’t carve people up at junctions or nip out unsafely at roundabouts in town. Mr(s) Toad toot, toot.

Milkie
    Free Member

I thought I would ask in this thread rather than start another one…

Looking at getting an older one series E8x 2006-2008. I have a full susser 29er, can you get one or two of these in the back with the seats down? Preferably with only the front wheels removed? I have to torque my rear axle. 🙄

Sundayjumper

Probably. I can just about get my full suss (26er, but XL frame) with front wheel out into the back of my old E46 Compact, and the 1-Series is bigger than that.

nickc

I wouldn’t like to bet actual money on it TBH

tenfoot

It’s a squeeze with 2 650b (large) full sussers in the F20 I have, so I’d reckon rear wheels on a 29er would need to come off, as I think the e81/87 is a smaller car.

EDIT – helps if you can move the passenger seat forward, but obviously not great if the person sitting in it is tall

beaker

I drive a 57 plate E87. I can fit my large Horsethief in the back with the seats down, seatpost out and the front wheel off. It’s tight but workable. Never tried two bikes before I’d say you’d manage it.

Milkie
    Free Member

Beaker – Can you get your Horsethief in without taking the seatpost out? I can’t remove my dropper post. I’m guessing it’s easily do-able with both wheels out.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thread revival is to be applauded. 2 29ers front wheels off is going to be a mesh of metal and potential damage. By the time you’ve put padding / sheets etc between everything maybe just taking the rear wheel off will be easiest or putting them on the roof (I hate that idea but needs must)

CountZero

In that sort of size car I really like the volvo V40 and especially the blue R-design one *dribble*

I don’t know why, I just really like it haha.
    I was looking at one this afternoon, a Polestar version, in a rather attractive medium metallic blue that really suited the car. Surpring amount of space in the back, I was driven to my car pickup in one, I’m six foot, and my knees weren’t touching the seats in front. Mind your head getting in and out, though.

chestrockwell

We have a 65 reg 118i M Sport and I think it’s ace. Boot is decent enough, plenty of room up front, quality superb compared to friends cars and it is a lovely car to drive. I had a 62 reg Focus previous and although that was a great motor, the BMW is better.

Bad points, the rear seats are tight although it is our second car so not too much of a problem.

beaker

@Milkie- Seatpost has to come out, it’s one of those old fashioned non dropper ones. If you have a dropper you’d be ok. Not tried to put it in with both wheels out but I think there’d be plenty of room.

Milkie
    Free Member

THanks guys, so it would seem it will be possible, maybe with the wheel off! I will just have to remember to take my torque wrench with me. 😉 I’m going to look at one this weekend, I’m not sure the seller would appreciate me bringing my bike to see if it gets in the back. 😆

chestrockwell

I can get my 29″ Orange Segment in mine with the wheels off.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I ran a E82 125i (on 130i power) and could easily put a MTB at the back flat with just the front wheel off.

I am a loser and a hairdresser but I still got under 3:00 at Spa in a totally stock 3dr M135i manual on passive dampers. I couldn’t even cook the OE pads. An astonishing car for the money, further helped by M4 LCAs at £300 which gave 2 deg of neg camber and neutralise the handing.

If you value RWD and the engine behind the front axle, then those cars are for you. The next gen will probably be front drive and 4-pot so hurry, even if you cut hair for a living.

edd

I have an ’06 E87 130i SE, which I’ve owned for about 3.5 years and 50,000 miles. I like it very much. 🙂

I can get a medium 650b Lapierre Spicy in the back with the seats folded and the front wheel out. I normally drop the seatpost but don’t have to.

Kryton57

Just out of interest, does anyome feel the value of the the RWD cars will hold / go up when FWd arrives?

tinybits
    Free Member

Possibly the top end 135i’s almost certainly my 125d will continue to depreciate, and anything lower powered will as well. No point having rear wheel drive and an oil burner up front for a cult classic!

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Anyone drive a 1 series BMW?’ is closed to new replies.