Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Car or silly car? Possible mid life crisis content.
  • br
    Free Member

Piranha

I commuted on a zx9r, fazer 1000, tiger 1050 and then a GT1050.

Yes expensive, but as a contractor the hour a day I gained meant they were actually free 🙂

philstone

@jambalaya – if you get the chance, try one. Was such an amazing car! I’ve had Celica GT4s, various other BMWs, Saxo VTR ( 😳 – although it handled like it was on rails and actually a lot of fun) a Golf GTI and now an Intergra Type-R (DC2) and none of them come close to the M. What made selling it worse is that the values have now gone mental – 4 years ago they were around the 10k mark for a decent average milage one – now close to £20k!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

4 years ago they were around the 10k mark for a decent average milage one – now close to £20k!

Dream on! More like £30-40k and ++ for a good’un.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201610289210779?model=Z3M&advertising-location=at_cars&make=BMW&sort=distance&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=gu271he&page=1

Rubs thighs…

Kryton57

pirahna – Member
    When you’re lying on on deathbed saying goodbye to loved ones are you thinking I’m glad I bought the sensible car with the frugal engine?

Is a good point. I’m doing a whole load of other things – not always material – in my life which are based on a similar concept at the moment.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

That ‘perfect’ reminiscing deathbed scenario very rarely happens in the real world. Plan for today and the unforeseen as tomorrow our loved ones may be sick, disabled, dying or may even killed by a stressed-out narcissistic twit in a too-fast car. Not pointing any fingers here just a thought as it’s always ‘that guy’ not us.

philstone

Ah, now I feel even worse for letting mine go so cheap!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ex 320d Touring owner, now in a 330e M Sport saloon, having also driven 120d M Sport.

The main difference IMO are as follows:

Standard 320d – Comfortable, fast enough for day to day driving to use the engine hard, always able to put your foot to the floor and know the back end will be ok, and maybe just slip a little. Overall very nice.

330e M Sport – bonkers fast compared to the 320d, much better chassis control, more communication when the back end has gone and you can keep it there, back end goes way way easier ie you have to be careful how much throttle to use in corners. Too much power for day to day driving country roads, constantly braking catching up cars (if using your right foot a lot). More effortless to drive day to day, more refined than the touring.

120d – OK performance, bit skittish compared to 3 series, less comfortable ie shorter/narrower wheel base. Feels less grown up than 3 series, but not as nimble as a sports car.

You need considerably more talent to get the most out of the 330e than you do the 320d, and be prepared to go out at 5am in the morning to drive it fast, but it is still no MX5, Lotus, Cayman etc

Edit: The RS6 you would need to get up even earlier in the morning, and have to be a super talented driver to get anything out of it on the road… unless you just like hoofing it and letting the car do everything for you.

Edit Edit: Haven’t missed the touring either, bikes always went on the roof, and internal space, not that much less.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Philstone,
    Don’t feel that bad, I sold my 964RS for £26k 8years ago 🙁 now worth £££££££

yetidave
    Free Member

my father in law has a boxster and a hyabusa engine powered Westfield. I am looking forward to my inheritance/midlife crisis… (He currently has no consideration and is still doing hill climbs with the Westfield!)

dannybgoode

Go silly but go sensible money. When my mum died I decided I was not going to drive a boring car any more and when out and traded my C4 Picasso for a Civic Type R (FN2).

Couldn’t be happier with it. Surprisingly sensible until you hit 6k rpm and then it becomes a beast. Love it to bits.

Life’s too short for boring motoring…

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Car or silly car? Possible mid life crisis content.’ is closed to new replies.