• This topic has 31 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Car choice – Audi A3 or BMW 1 series or something completely different!
  • cjr61

Downsizing from my Ford focus estate diesel and looking for something good on the motorway (25k miles per year) but also a little fun.

Thinking of going down to an A3 sportback so wondering how much smaller the 1 series is. Wanting diesel still but low mileage and couple of years old. Seems like I can get more BMW for my money.

Any other thoughts/cars I haven’t considered. This is some inheritance money so would like something with a little prestige and all the mod cons.

Speak on…

cjr61

Ps still need this to do family duties and small dog so need estate/hatchback and 5door.

chojin
    Free Member

Those new Merc A-class hatchbacks look quite nice too, don’t know much about them but the high end ones look mean as.

freeagent
    Free Member

Had a 1-series until about 10 months ago.
    Did 110k miles (mostly motorway) without a single fault.

I loved it, but it was fairly crap as a family car.
    My kids (aged 4 and 7 used to complain about the lack of leg room in the back.

Take the family with you when you go and look at one..

legend
    Free Member

Fun and an A3 don’t go so well together.

Standard STW response will be to get an Octavia VRS of course.

dragon
    Free Member

I prefer the VW Golf to the Audi A3 having had both.

djglover
    Free Member

1 series is a great car, appart from when it snows! Brilliant driving position and very comfy on long journeys. It is small for its class no doubt but we’ve been away as a family in it a few times, but I wouldn’t have it if we didnt have a bigger alternative for the main holidays, I took the kids camping and there was no room for the wife! A problem I don’t think I would have had in golf or audi!

I have a friend in an A4 and he laments the day he gave his beemer back

They are nice inside, but thats where it ends, understeer like hell, gone through a set of front tyres in just over 11,000 miles.

I have done 24,000 in a M135i and still only wonrn the tyres down to 4mm.

Bimbler
    Free Member

BMW 1 Series is not a family car, in the Mk1 you could barely get child seats in the back, it’s tiny and generally a hateful place to be. If you’re going to spend a lot of time in your car on motorways then get something else.

stumpy01

Seat Leon FR TDi with the 184bhp engine?

Honda Civic 1.6CDTi for a bit more economy. Very practical car due to those ‘magic seats’.

julians
    Free Member

I used to have an A3 (well the s3 variant), and now have a 1 series (m135i 5 door variant).

I hated the S3, the most boring car in the world, will never have another unless they make them more exciting, but that just isnt in VAG’s philosophy for their hatches. Having said that it was comfy and had a nice interior. I didnt find it was that well built from a mechanical point of view, I owned it for 5 years from brand new, and it needed a new clutch at 30000 miles , new flywheel at the same time, and a new CV joint 10000 miles after that. It was very fast though (but boring with it), and very easy to drive.

1 series is excellent in comparison, big enough , practical enough, exciting enough, fun to drive,very very fast, reliable so far ( although only owned for 1 year, so earlydays). Downsides? its not a pretty car.

BMW 1 Series is not a family car, in the Mk1 you could barely get child seats in the back, it’s tiny

I beg to differ, no problems getting child seat in the back of mine, obviously its not 5 series, but its perfectly ok as a family car.

lowey

There are some great deals on Mark VI Golf GTD’s at the moment. brilliant handling, surprisingly fast and very economical. The Mk VII’s are a superb car but still holding their price.

cjr61

Sorry for the delay in reply. Some great feedback. Definitely erring towards a 1 series but it will be our main family car as wife has a poor mpg petrol. Golf sounds like potential too…

Choices
    Choices!

Thanks

Ps can I get a 29er in a 1 series?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have some experience of both.

The 1 Series is pretty unlikeable- it’s probably a bit nicer place to be than the A3 inside but isn’t anything brilliant to drive. In terms of practicality it is truly rubbish- the boot is tiny, smaller than my Skoda Fabia. I used a work colleague’s regularly and he hated it, I hated it and when he had a baby it was effectively useless.

A3s are just a bit dull. I drove a previous generation one for a while last year and the interior made no sense- there was a big lump where your left arm goes when you want to change gear or use the hand brake. The drive was lifeless. I just couldn’t comprehend why you’d pay so much for one.

My dad recently bought a new shape A3 sport back and it is a vast improvement on the previous one. However, the boot is small given what they market it as, especially compared to a Focus or Golf. The drive is completely uninteresting. The interior is pretty nice, though. It was either this or a Volvo C40 for him and I think that was more expensive.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I beg to differ, no problems getting child seat in the back of mine, obviously its not 5 series, but its perfectly ok as a family car.

In The Mk 1 You can get them in ok but they don’t sit flat due difference in height between the recessed seat bit and the bolsters at the side, with 2 child seats in there is zero space in the back, the rear legroom is pitiful as is the boot size, I’m 6’1 and the roof felt oppressively low, most of my height is in my legs which made sitting in the back uncomfortable after about an hour. While the materials and build quality were ok the interior is drab, drab drab, feld-grau everywhere. I’m sure this must have been improved in the Mk2.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Audi fan here, have spent a reasonable amount of time in A3’s without owning one, mate had one I’ve driven quite a lot plus rented one a few times in the Alps including when on an MTB holiday. I think about the A3 as an upmarket Golf, finish is better, bit smaller inside but will get 1 or 2 bikes in the back lying on top of each other with front wheels off. Good on motorway. As for being fun I can see why people think an S3 is boring as it makes going fast very easy. I don’t think a 1 series would be that much smaller than an A3 from a load carrying perspective. i’d consider one except they are rubbish in the snow and he X1’s are hard to find.

Of the two choices here I would go for the A3 due to brand loyalty and winter road performance

cjr61

Ok… golf vs 1 series me thinks!

Assume something like a Mazda 3 is a no-no?

smatkins1
    Free Member

Ps can I get a 29er in a 1 series?

Yes, but you’ll have to take both wheels out.

Last few years going to the Alps we’ve gone in my brothers 1 Series. Two bikes in the back, all wheels out, and just about enough room for our all our kit strategically slotted in.

Could even still see out the back window in the rear view mirror… just!

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I currently drive an A3 and I’ll echo most other people’s comments already in that they’re pretty dull and boring to drive. I’m changing mine as soon as I can afford to and will be going to a 3 Series Touring after having driven a couple as they’re nicer inside, the layout is better too and IMO drive and handle 100x better than the A3.

lodious
    Free Member

My Mrs bought an X1 25d last year. It’s obviously not a looker , the dash interior quality is amazingly horrible for a modern car (let alone one from a ‘luxury’ brand) and the steering is very heavy at low speed (no servortronic in hers). That said, the engine is amazing, no bling to indicate its a quick car, the cornering and ride are brilliant, the seats are really comfortable and they are cheap(ish) second hand. With winter tyres, it’s brilliant in the snow / ice. The 8speed auto box is really good. It has roof rails and isn’t too tall for getting bikes on and off. It also does mid 40’s mpg without trying, which for 218bhp is pretty good.

It’s the first car I’ve ever driven I’ve actually really enjoyed driving, plus once your in it you can’t see how bad it looks.

ElShalimo

Test drive something different:
    Mazda3
    Volvo V40
    Merc B class
    Volvo C30

jfletch
    Free Member

I have a 1 series, 11 plate so last of the previous shape. It’s nice for the commute on my own but that is where the good points end.

Do not get one as your only car if you have a family, or or dog (or a big bag) the boot is tiny and the back seats smaller. If you have a family and a dog then this isn’t the car for you unless you are a family of midgets.

Test drove a A3 sportback recently. Very underwhelmed. Was nice enough to drive but nothing special. Inside looked a bit like a teenagers wet dream with bling dials and flashy lights but a bit of a mess. Boot was dissapointly smally given the size of the car.

Golf looks nicer, is bigger inside and has a bigger boot.

Of the 3 I’d pick the Golf.

In reality I’m going for the Leon ST. Better car and cheaper due to lack of “prestige” but essentially the same as the Golf/A3.

CaptainSlow

I used a 1 series as a family car for a couple of years (f20) and had no issues with fitting wife, 2 kids and luggage for a weeks holiday in it. Depends how strict you are with packing I guess or you will need a roof box.

It’s not far off the old golf size but was nicer to drive and better specced for the cash (this was in 2011).
    I fitted winter tyres on it and it was fantastic in the snow

On the motorway its great for a car of its size, the wheelbase is decent so comfy and stable and good fun to drive.

MPG was very decent round town and great on longer journeys. Road tax was £30 ish pa (118d)

X1 is slightly bigger or look at a 3-series if you need more space. I didn’t think the jump from 1 to 3 series was worth it and wanted something higher (and auto) so went for an X3

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

but also a little fun.

Thats not the A3 then.

BMW way better drivers car than the Audi/VW/Skoda VRS.

bamboo
    Free Member

How about a Focus hatch? Handle well, good sized cabin, and a fair bit cheaper too.

alanf
    Free Member

The newer shaped 1 series is much better than the old.
    The old was OK but the new one (F2x) is a great car.
    Go for the M-sport spec though as the interior and exterior are much nicer than the lower spec models.

simon_g

The 1 Series is pretty unlikeable- it’s probably a bit nicer place to be than the A3 inside but isn’t anything brilliant to drive. In terms of practicality it is truly rubbish- the boot is tiny, smaller than my Skoda Fabia. I used a work colleague’s regularly and he hated it, I hated it and when he had a baby it was effectively useless.

Older 1-series was smaller but current (F20) 1-series has a 360 litre boot. Fabia hatch is 315 litres (I used to have one).

Newborn rear-facing seat on an ISOFIX base fits fine behind the passenger. It only doesn’t fit behind my drivers seat because I need it all the way back.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I don’t think a 1 series would be that much smaller than an A3 from a load carrying perspective.

The rear wheel drive gubbins push up the floor of the boot. And the boot isn’t very long. It’s amazing how tiny it is.

If I were getting something like that it would probably be something that isn’t “premium”- a Leon, a Focus, a Golf, a Merc A Class if I went with looks instead of any rational thought.

alanf
    Free Member

The Merc boot looks smaller than the BMW and the interior quality looks average at best.

cjr61

Think a BMW test drive is in order!

unovolo
    Free Member

What about a Mini Countryman, should be fun to drive and reasonably practical and not as deadly boring as the usual suspects already mentioned.

JulianA
    Free Member

I have a friend in an A4 and he laments the day he gave his beemer back

They are nice inside, but thats where it ends, understeer like hell, gone through a set of front tyres in just over 11,000 miles.

I had 17000 miles out of my A4 front tyres and that’s on a 3.0. Your mate either drives an RS4 very fast or doesn’t inflate his tyres correctly!

Going by the service I’ve had from an Audi main dealer today I’d go with an Audi for sure.

1 Series looks awful anyway.

dobo
    Free Member

3 door 13 plate A3 here used for business. 11k miles for front tyres is a joke.. just dont like the look of the 1 series either and dont think the spec and feel was as good either if i recall, may well be a bit more involving drive but i use mine for business. theres nothing to hate about it, maybe the rear wiper is a bit garbage and the indicators and not all mp3 album art displays.. (yes im clutching at straws now), boot not the biggest but went round france for 2 weeks camping with no dramas
    The main thing for me is decent mpg and very comfy mile muncher.
    If i want something fast and exiting nothing on this page is a consideration.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Car choice – Audi A3 or BMW 1 series or something completely different!’ is closed to new replies.