Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anybody sent their kid on a skills day?
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Son came off his bike again today on and even though I try to give him my best advice I sometimes think I should aend him on a day or twos of skills days. Im not pushing him down black or red trails btw! Just singleþra ks in the woods.

Anybody taken their 11/12/13 year olds on a skills day? Was it worth it?

My ultimate aim is to keep him safe.

moniex
    Free Member

No, not yet. Have considered it before our alps trips the last couple of years, and nearly put them on a days course in morzine last year (they did not want to). Now I would definitely not send my 13 year old, having a hard job keeping up as it is! (Downhill only). May get some coaching for the 11 year old before we hit morzine this year, as he is not really a natural. He enjoys the alps (as he does uplifts only and is a lazy bugger) but sticks to the short blues at morzine/les gets.

Does your son enjoy it? It may just not be his thing. If he does, perhaps a course in a group with other kids? Or maybe meet up with other riders with kids the same age and they can play about and learn from each other.

Simone

transporter13
    Free Member

If you do, I recommend tom dowie if you’re close enough.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Thanks, yes he enjoys getting out but think he lacks the confidence to really enjoy it and progress. Tom’s a bit far but I have a few to choose from up here in Yorkshire.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

A couple of half day sessions will be more productive than a full day. Are there any kids clubs near you? Riding with others of a similar age will really bring on his riding if he’s been shown the basics.

docrobster
    Free Member

I booked a family skills session for my wife and 2 kids (son 12, daughter 15) at cycle wise whinlatter recently. They all seemed to enjoy it. £100 for 3 people for 3 hours

slowrider
    Free Member

Take the whole family to Jedi, yourself included.my first session with him was a group skills day with a real mix of abilities. He brought everyone one no end. I’ve had skills coaching from a few folk and he is hands down the best out there.

MoreCashThanDash

See what local clubs/British Cycling offer – I know Heanor Clarion near us sometimes do a school holiday day with BC’s Go Ride. May not be MTB specific but might be useful – most clubs get kids in on CX anyway

darrenspink
    Free Member

Thanks all. Im going on one myself soon at Gisburn with trail motions chap so I’ll have a chat with him then.

climbingkev
    Free Member

No real experience since my little one is only 6 months. However, I will be sending him in Jedi’s direction should he decide to try his luck on a bike. I can’t remember a word Jedi said, but certainly left with a lot of “clarity”; operating within you comfort/skill zone, concentration, gradual and sensible progression etc. Having embarked on a number of “sports with consequences” from a young age and tested the the NHS/emergency services on numerous occasions I’d say Jedi’s approach will filter out the MTFU mentality and keep the testosterone levels in check. I certainly wish I’d had more exposure to his approach earlier on. Being in control of your own decisions and mind is half the battle in my opinion.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Im sure hes a star, just too far away.

brant
    Free Member

My boy did a day with @greatrock. He loved it.

singlespeedstu

Has he got no mates that he rides with?

There’s nothing better for teaching you how to ride than having a mate you want to beat.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Nope, couple of his mates have bikes but just don’t go out (minecraft). Think it would be easier for them to ‘get out and about’ if we didn’t leave near busy city roads but there you go. Aye Brant have thought about Ed.

singlespeedstu

That’s a shame. 😐

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anybody sent their kid on a skills day?’ is closed to new replies.