Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Are you actually a good driver ?
  • CountZero

so no one here talks on the phone without handsfree…come on you have haven’t you ?

Couple of times on speaker and shouted at the phone, but I rarely, if ever get calls, and never, ever make them in the car.

dare I say no ones ever texted whilst driving…

Absolutely not

no ones cut anyone up etc…

Not intentionally.

So are you a good driver ?
    I’d say I’m competent, I don’t put my car into a ditch when it snows, for instance.
    I got my licence in 1973, and only had a car go off the road once, when a rear tyre blew at 70 while overtaking.
    Missed that car, the large roadsign on the wide grass verge, and stopped with the car in neutral, and no damage, other than a trashed alloy.
    I go faster than posted limits, when safe to do so, because many local ones are political rather than based on actual road hazards; ie, limit dropped because of one accident due to careless driving and both vehicles well below the original speed limit, for example.

IanW
    Free Member

Get the App DrivePlus you’ll need a couple of hundred miles to get a reflective score, which would take me six months so I haven’t actually used it.

I have a couple of go karting trophies from years ago suggesting my handling skills are ok and now when I do drive (or do anything tbh) I don’t rush which in my experience increases the likelihood of mistakes happening.

spooky_b329

Problem with those apps is in a loaded van you can rag the wheels off it whilst in a zippy hatchback you have to drive like a nun to get the same score 🙂

I know I can be economical…25k drivers in my company, we were invited to suggest a fuel saving idea, of those that responded, I was in the top 30 for fuel consumption (tracker) and spent a day driving round Millbrook and oggling new cars in camouflage (plus a tractor putting in miles on the high speed bowl). :d

And they didn’t tell us they were looking at fuel consumption.

kilo

I’ll bite, I’m pretty good, which in my book is safe, fast and safe when needed and appropriate. Regular advanced refereshers help. IMHO advanced training or even just reading roadcraft (especially for bikes) is well worth it – it’s a pity I’m crap on a mountian bike

ask1974
    Free Member

I suppose you have to define good. I suppose it must reflect your ability to actually drive a vehicle, and that should include a range of driving conditions, overtaking, good parking, etc. then knowledge of the Highway Code, the way you treat the law and consideration / view of other road users. Not that it matters that much I drive about 30,000 miles a year and would score myself as follows.

Ability : 9/10
    Highway Code : 8/10
    The law : 6/10
    Other road users : 7/10

I can handle a vehicle and definitely consider myself a good ‘driver’, I know the Highway Code but I definitely do not keep to the letter of the law regarding speed. Always safe but often a little quicker than plod would allow on the quicker roads. I get a little frustrated with stupidity or outright inability sometimes but that’s all. Over all I’d say I’m average all things considered, but I’m definitely a good ‘driver’…

thecaptain
    Free Member

Never a crash in 25+ years (not a huge mileage though). So by that matter, I must be a bit better than average, though I hope plenty of other drivers don’t crash either! And no I don’t talk on the phone.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Slightly less good in France than in the UK, from this mornings evidence.

‘Pardon Monsieur!’

Merci,

legrandesinge

anagallis_arvensis

I’m ok. Passed my advanced motorbike test so reckon I am slightly better than average. I always think my miss spent youth speeding around in a mini has made my a better car driver and having only started driving a motorbike in my 30’s when I calmed down means I dont really know where the limits are on a motorbike. In reality the skills needed for driving well are not related to controlling a skid much.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I am shytt, hate driving, too busy looking for new routes on the bike.
    The sooner the government buy into my idea of a network of air powered bodytoobz the better !

I suppose you could always say, you`re only as good as your last drive !

Sanctimonious statement over ! one more brew and off onto The wonderful SELWY Moors for a day of sheer love !

Tight chains !

molgrips
    Free Member

I reckon if you are a good driver you will appreciate that the issue of speed is about more than simply your control of the car…

br
    Free Member

I’m ok. Passed my advanced motorbike test so reckon I am slightly better than average. I always think my miss spent youth speeding around in a mini has made my a better car driver and having only started driving a motorbike in my 30’s when I calmed down means I dont really know where the limits are on a motorbike. In reality the skills needed for driving well are not related to controlling a skid much.

If you’d been riding bikes with the tyres we had in the 70’s/80’s you’d have quickly found the ‘limits’…

RichPenny
    Free Member

I may have almost knocked down a big post at glentress, and driven into my house a couple of times. So yeah. Alright. Probably above average because the average is dismal.

Loving the idea that you need to drive into your own house 3 times to be considered below average 😀

Personally I’d say I was below average. Not had an accident for a decade, but had a couple early on through inattention. Tried to move a landy with a cinquecento by reversing into it and pushing it out of the way. Didn’t work 😉

theocb
    Free Member

Only a handful of accidents in 10 – 15 thousand miles so I would say I’m above average.

I have clocked up 9 points though but not for bad driving as such (bald tyre, seat belt infringement and trying out ‘fifty is nifty’ in a twenty is plenty zone.. bleeding rozzers :evil:)

bails

not for bad driving as such…trying out ‘fifty is nifty’ in a twenty is plenty zone

I’m pretty sure that is bad driving. 🙄

matt_outandabout

I reckon I am middle of the road.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Also bad driving 🙄

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’m a horrible driver and hated every minute of my lessons. I failed my test leaving the test centre, and don’t have a license.

konabunny
    Free Member

According to the tracker reports on the vans at work,

What do they measure? Genuine q

grum
    Free Member

I’m ok when I’m sober.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don’t do any of the things that the OP suggested. But I don’t spend enough hours a year driving to class myself as competent. Obviously if I did, I’d be friggin awesome.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Am totes amazeballs, or I will be again when I get my license back 😉

I assume everyone else on the road is unpredictable so drive very defensively , also don’t have the high powered penis extensions I used to and so drive quite sedately these days. Am I good? Have made 1 insurance claim in 24 years if that’s any indicator.

Cougar

I’d say I’m an above average driver.

Sadly though, that’s not a statement about my driving ability, but everyone else’s. It’s not hard to be “above average” when the average is shockingly bad.

tang
    Free Member

I am a very safe driver . When I passed my test, first time, I had the notorious examiner who everyone feared. Even though I mounted the kerb(a surprise situation, which I knew to be the only safe option available) he passed me, and said had I done anything else other than mount the kerb and keep my cool, he would have failed me.
    Unfortunately I have been in 4 serious RTA, as a passenger 3 times and once as a driver knocked off a mountain by a landslide. Might have something to do with my approach to road safety.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sex and driving the only two things we are all above average at

Well arguing as well as it is STW but that last one is probably true

Cougar

once as a driver knocked off a mountain by a landslide.

😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m not sure what’s more worrying. People who think they’re above average or those who think they’re below but do nothing about it.

sbob
    Free Member

I drive a Micra.
    😆

Northwind

RichPenny – Member

Loving the idea that you need to drive into your own house 3 times to be considered below average

It’s a really awkward driveway!

brakes
    Free Member

sex and driving the only two things we are all above average at

I’m average at both
    if average is AMAZING 8)

IanW
    Free Member

spooky_b329 – Member
    Problem with those apps is in a loaded van you can rag the wheels off it whilst in a zippy hatchback you have to drive like a nun to get the same score

Which one have you used before?

Most use accelerometers with the emphasis on braking, acceleration and cornering, so smooth driving is rewarded.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Depends on how you define good. I’ve not caused an accident or had any points in the 27 years that I’ve been driving so I reckon I’m a relatively safe driver.

So that 100% of my driving is on public highways I reckon that makes me a reasonably good driver whereas If I were to take up rallying or track days then the definition of ‘good’ would be very different and I expect I’d probably be below average.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m not sure what’s more worrying. People who think they’re above average or those who think they’re below but do nothing about it.

Mind you the thing about averages as opposed to say absolutes is that no matter what the absolute level some people will be above this and some below. A concept that a manager at work had trouble understanding when he found out that almost 50% of the departments had a below average performance 🙂

Cougar

Brilliant.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am typing this whilst driving in the middle lane of the motorway and haven’t crashed so I must be pretty good at driving.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m perhaps the worst person to ask, ask my passengers and other road users.

Northwind

IanMunro – Member

A concept that a manager at work had trouble understanding when he found out that almost 50% of the departments had a below average performance

Do you work for a state school?

jonba
    Free Member

Conformational bias says I’m above average as a driver, but then I have more legs than average so maybe that is the reason.

DezB
    Free Member

Posted my answer last time we had this thread. I’m impatient and get wound up by all the idiots who don’t know how to indicate, use roundabouts, motorways, lanes etc etc.
    Hate driving so don’t care whether I’m good at it or not.

mrchrispy

Compared to the most of the drivers in South Manchester I am freking awesome driver.
    Personally I think I’m okay but tend to enjoy winding other drivers up by doing thing like stopping at reds, sticking below the speed limit and sitting behind a cyclist if there isn’t enough room to overtake safely.

AdamW
    Free Member

I think I’m an average driver. I tend to drive defensively and rarely speed. I try not to get annoyed but sometimes I am somewhat astounded by other people squeezing into small gaps on the M1.

I drive a Yaris 1.0l so I’m not going to be able to speed! I don’t really care for cars, they’re a thing to get you from A to B. I much prefer bikes and would rather not have a car if possible but modern life (and getting to club meets) makes it difficult.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Are you actually a good driver ?’ is closed to new replies.