• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hels.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anybody ever sold a house or flat privately, in Scotland ?
  • hels
    Free Member

If you have, how does it work, and what are the pitfalls ?

How did you decide on a fair price ?

I told my neighbour as a courtesy that I am selling, long story short a friend of hers wants to see it before the Estate Agents.

I loathe Estate Agents and other bullshitters of their ilk, I would take less money for a quick sale and to avoid dirtying myself in having to deal with them (that ISN’T my sales pitch, for the avoidance of doubt).

Any help/advice appreciated !

kcal

hels – it might work out, I’d be a bit sceptical TBH of how serious they might be – or they’re after a bargain. When we put our flat on teh market, the folk upstairs had a look round “to see if they could rent it out”. I think they just wanted a neb.

Same when we sold our house in EDI – we have a slew of folk that were ‘just passing’, or ‘looking for a friend’ which never came to ought – they even got miffed when we phoned them back, got all manner of excuses.

Don’t cut tie with EAs basically. Even though I share your opinion! Would have to be a couple of surveys – yours and theirs – plus an agreed method (split difference) or even average of 3..

as for help – good luck!!

scotroutes

Get a House Report done. That will give you an independent valuation.

MS
    Free Member

Going through this at the moment but on the buying side. Currently rent but as the landlords want to sell we want to buy it.

We haven’t quite agreed on a price yet but an offer has just been sent away. Basically the landlords got a valuation then we got one. The landlords told us what the were asking for and we have put in an offer.

You miss out on the advertising fees etc as the seller and also possibly get a quicker sale.

hels
    Free Member

Cheers folks. The potential buyer is overseas, and has already emailed me asking for a house report so seems to know his stuff. I have a month before the tenants are out, so as long as they haven’t been cooking meth I could get a quick sale !

br
    Free Member

hels

Are you still local? Chap/Lawyer in Hawick sorted ours out when we bought ‘off-piste’.

PM me

hels
    Free Member

I’m “local” tae Peebles, but my flat is on Edinburgh. I guess my next post is Are You A Property Solicitor in Edinburgh ??

scotroutes

A local solicitor won’t charge Edinburgh rates and at the end of the day there’s no reason for them to have to be local to the property (when I sold, the solicitors were in Glasgow, house in Edinburgh). FWIW, I used Mov8 for the selling stuff. It’s a (low) fixed rate fee but for them “showing” the property it would be extra. You don’t need that aspect of it of course.

TheFlyingOx

Might be worth trying Mov8.

I know they look a bit **** and Americanized, but we recently used their conveyancing service to buy a house. Cost us £600 all in, as opposed to the £2000 that a traditional solicitor was quoting. Looks like they charge the same for selling. We had no hassle at all, other than needing a more indepth survey, but that was our lender rather than Mov8. Without that, we could have completed within 5 weeks.

EDIT: http://www.mov8realestate.com/selling.html

br
    Free Member

We used Olivers in Hawick as there is a family connection:

http://www.solicitors-barristers.co.uk/roxburghshire/hawick/g-j-oliver/

Or you could try Iain here; he’s ‘straight’

Home

unknown
    Free Member

Whatever you do, just don’t use McEwan Fraser.

rickmeister

Barbara at ConnorMalcom, she is brilliant and fair.

Agree with McEwan Fraser…

kcal

aye, don’t need to use Ed solicitor. Anne-Marie sold (zero hassle, private sale IIRC) using a wee guy in Dunfermline – all done by letters/paper anyway – some way cheaper than EDI rates.

I guess they all have their good and bad, or just rubbish, solicitors (and assistants). First time we moved, it was good, with one of the bigger firms. Stuck with them for second move, they were ‘not so good’. Thankfully don’t need to bother with that nay more 🙂

pixelmix
    Free Member

hels – for my sins, I’m a property solicitor in Edinburgh. My personal email is in my profile if you want to ping me an email, and I’ll send you figures from the office next week if you want.

I’d agree with most of the above comments on solicitors etc., although I think the £600 for Mov8 is estate agency, not conveyancing. They don’t actually do conveyancing in house and send clients to a Glasgow “firm”/conveyancing factory.

towzer

my parents did (*bought) – all was fine.

Value – Land Registry Sold prices (tab on RightMove website) and local properties

re EAs I sold using housesimple (*£200 + vat) – they do the photos/run the ad on right move etc etc websites – you do everything else *Englandshire – not sure how well established this practice is in Scotland.

hels
    Free Member

Thanks pixelmix – pm on the way…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anybody ever sold a house or flat privately, in Scotland ?’ is closed to new replies.