Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • any tips for staying calm!!!! (driving test content)
  • bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Bit long in the tooth but never really needed my licence till tomorrow at 10am :/ normally good with tests and such like but bin here before and failed (miserably) few years back so feeling the pressure as this would lead to a very very good Career move.

So any tips on staying level headed and not turn into a gibbering girl.

simmy
    Free Member

Are you taking it in blackpool or preston ?

What tips has your instructor given you ?

I can give you some tips but don’t want to scare you 😉

Only joking I can suggest some things but your instructor should have given you a few pointers.

RustyMac

First thing I’d say is your driving instructor must be fairly happy with what you are doing to suggest you take your test again, take a lot of encouragement from that alone.

Second thing is every one I have ever met has got nervous about there driving test.

Try and get a litte conversation going with the instructor even if they is just repeating what he has asked you to do so you are clear in your head with what he is asking.

Lastly, good luck.

allthegear
    Free Member

Tomorrow will be a week since I took my motorbike test – I was a nervous wreck!!

Still, I passed and that’s all that matters.

Good luck!!

Rachel

saleem
    Free Member

I was told to take some calms only £3-£4. Must have worked as I passed.

simmy
    Free Member

I tell my students to not expect the examiner to speak except to give instructions, some will make friendly small talk but some will just sit there and tell you what they need you to do.

In my opinion, the best passes come from just driving like you have done on your lessons and by not overthinking and panicking.

Remember you can have a minute to compose yourself if it gets too much and, if you make a mistake, head down and keep going as it may not be as bad as you think and could be marked as a Minor fault.

Is your instructor going out on test with you ?

scaredypants

large whisky before you go in should do the trick

chewkw
    Free Member

I tried to stay calm then I made the wrong u-turn … 😆

Still passed with 4 minors.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to tell my students to think out loud. Stops it being too quiet and brings what they’re doing to the forefront of their mind, reduces the chances of getting distracted.

user-removed
    Free Member

Just imagine the tester is in his pyjamas. No, wait – imagine yourself in your pyjamas. Ah now, hold on, it wasn’t that. Imagine your mum naked. That should do the trick.

Good luck. I’m almost ashamed to say I passed first time. And so I should have – I got driving lessons for my 17th, 18th and 21st birthday but didn’t actually have a lesson until I was 22. Cheap birthday presents for my parents… Cost them nowt until I actually took the lessons.

sobriety
    Free Member

think out loud

This is what I did, I kept a running commentary on what I was doing and why, which was especially useful when I said (about an old dear on a mobility scooter) ‘I’m not going to overtake her as I don’t trust her’, I followed her for maybe 150 metres down a residential road she then indicated left and turned right, thank you spidey senses!

jools182
    Free Member

Marijuana

iolo
    Free Member

Bachs rescue remedy will calm you down

kayak23

simmy – Member
    if it gets too much and, if you make a mistake, head down and keep going.

I’m no expert, but isn’t it wiser to look at the road ahead? 😉

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Cheers guys that rescue remedy has helped chill me out a bit il let you know how I get on

allthegear
    Free Member

good luck!

RustyMac

So…

How’d it go?

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Failed no minors but 1 serious as I indicated before the 2nd exit on a roundabout. Pissed yes but took positive as I had no minors so I know what not to do next time thats the new frame fund down the swanny lol.

chewkw
    Free Member

bigphilblackpool – Member

Failed no minors but 1 serious as I indicated before the 2nd exit on a roundabout. Pissed yes but took positive as I had no minors so I know what not to do next time thats the new frame fund down the swanny lol.

That is serious? 😯

I made the U-turn at a roundabout where I supposed to make the 2nd exit (weird roundabout btw) but everything was right apart from going in a different direction … 😆

RustyMac

Bummer,

Good to see you are taking the positives from it, I failed first time with 2 majors and 4 minors, passed second time with 7 minors. Seems like you were pretty damn close to getting through it.

You going to try for a retest ASAP?

Best of luck if you do.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I failed my first for stopping at a green light.

30 seconds into the test. Miserable bastard failed me because as I moved away someone came up and had to slow down!

martinhutch

Not sure I understand this one. You indicated as you approached the exit you were going to take off the roundabout, but were failed because it was effectively ‘straight on’ and you shouldn’t have indicated?

Glad I’m not taking the test now, if that’s the case…

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

No I was heading to a roundabout and he said 2nd exit I indicated where the first exit was so other road useres may have thought I was comming off at first exit thus possibly causing a accident : / but no minors amazed me tbh and my instructor said he allways chucks minors out as hes very picky would have bin a perfect run otherwise. Re booked for the 29th of nov so fingers crossed third time lucky : )

simmy
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, I’ve had 3 students fail this week, all like yourself just one serious but they only had a couple of minors each.

All of them were first time attempts so fingers crossed for next time.

One didn’t stop completely at a stop sign, despite us doing it the night before, another tried going straight on in a right turn lane and nearly took a lady in a Megane out, the last completely zoned out and nearly crashed into a car that was turning right ahead of him 😯

All really good drivers on lessons so just proves that tests are stressful

Good luck for the next test

andrewh
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    I used to tell my students to think out loud. Stops it being too quiet and brings what they’re doing to the forefront of their mind, reduces the chances of getting distracted.

I did this on mine. Mate took his before me, stopped a bit short of the junction, had to move forward a wee bit to see properly, moved slightly, examiner thought he was pulling away and stamped on the brake. Failed the test for that.
    If you keep saying what you are doing it avoids that kind of mistake.
    Also, put the mirror where you can’t see out of it, if you have to move your head slightly to use it’s obvious you are doing so, moving the eyes is less aparent.
    And before the test check things you may not have used before. My test was the first time I had ever driven in the rain. Told examiner I was going to put the sidelights on, car was a Vauxhall, very different controls to my mum’s Rover, took me ages to find the switch (minor fault for auxilery control use). Came to reverse round a corner, couldn’t find rear wiper control for ages either, another fault. One more controls issue would be a fail. If it’s an unfamilair car check these things before the test starts.

user-removed
    Free Member

Pissed yes

I think I see what went wrong here… 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘any tips for staying calm!!!! (driving test content)’ is closed to new replies.