Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any tip offs for good munros / corbetts to ride?
  • elray89
    Free Member

With Spring approaching (LMAO) and hopefully less boggy conditions (ROFL) my mind turns to what big mountains to try and ride this year. I say “try” as I have had mixed success with how much riding I actually do, but a hike up and at least 75% of the way down on the bike I consider an enjoyable day.

Managed a lot of the “classics” over the past couple years:

Ben Lomond: Busy but great fun, managed to ride all the the way apart from some of the steepening at the summit slope.
    Beinn a’ Bhuird: Amazing riding, so flowy.
    Bynack Mor: Pretty good fun
    Sgor Gaoith: Brilliant
    Lochnagar: The way we went was too spicy for me for a lot of it and mega chunky. Maybe there are “easier” ways down?
    Mayar & Dreish: Descended the Kilbo path – pretty full on despite it not being too steep. Probably a step above my paygrade at present for being Type 1 fun.
    Beinn Fhada: Was very wet and the rock was very dicey…less chunky parts of the path were incredible though.
    Carn a’ Chlamain: Great fun
    Beinn Dearg (Bruar): Fun, but limited single track and largely a landy track for a lot of it.

Anyone have a recommendation for more that are not too full-on and rollable for an intermediate but still with techy challenge for an intermediate? I watch a LOT of Youtube content on this but I’ve stubbornly learned that GoPro effect is very real indeed and what looks straightforward is actually pretty bonkers and steep.

May be too subjective a question.

dovebiker

Ben Rinnes, just south of Dufftown – there’s a land rover track from the Ben Rinnes gin distillery (not the walker’s path) or from Tomachlaven that goes all the way to the summit plateau.
    You can also ride up Corryhabbie Hill on the other side of Glen Rinnes which is a bit more convoluted route, over to Glenfiddich Lodge and around the back or straight up from the Folds of Corhabbie, that involves a bit of pushing.

thelawman

Morrone just south of Braemar is definitely ridable – did that years ago on 26″ hardtail, up the LR track to the mast, then down the north side.

I’ve been contemplating Creag nan Gabhar on the other side of the road too – it’d be a carry up the south side from the Bealach Buidhe, but the north ridge looks like it ought to be OK back down.

Culardoch’s on my radar for later this year too, on the way in to a bikepacking trip north side of Ben Avon.

I also walked over Carn Liath (the one just west of Culardoch) a few years ago, and recall that looking reasonable for a bike with a mincer on board (i.e. me)

Edit to add – just remembered, a mate & I walked in to Bearnais Bothy via the Corbett of Sgurr na Feartaig a while back, and there was a chap having an excellent day out on the ridge-path that runs east-west along that. He was basically doing a clockwise loop from Craig.

euain

Ben Macdui (via Carn a’Mhaim) was a great day out.. out from Linn of Dee. Returning on the path past Hutchison memorial hut.

Proper hike-a-bike to get up but the views and ride down were out of this world. IMG_0471

Edit – for intermediate – this could mean such a range but there were bits we walked on the way down both Monroes. Not much but you’d be pretty good to get down all of it. Most is OK and there’s no shame in walking bits.
    The initial climb is very steep (good steps/path) and there’s a boulder field up to Macdui that is pretty grim (I believe you can get around it but we didn’t see a better option). So you’ll want to be reasonably fit and/or determined to get up.

mrb123
    Free Member

Carn an Fhreiceadain from Kingussie is basically 4×4 track all the way so would be rideable all the way.

thelawman

Remembered another (can you tell I’ve not really thought long & hard about this; they’re just coming to me as my mind wanders?)

This Corbett Carn na Saobhaidhe can be done by bike – it’s all ridable on LR and windfarm tracks apart from about 300m across the summit plateau itself. Seem to remember taking some of the photos whilst riding ‘hands off’ at 20mph+ on the way down, so it’s certainly not at all technical.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Cairngorm then west to 1083, then north under the northern corries is good.
    PXL_20210803_140201553
    PXL_20210803_150832400

Can also add Macdui onto that route.

IMG-20230515-WA0013
    Macdui via Derry Cairngorm I didn’t rate.
    PXL_20230515_160509892
    Wished I’d gone down Coire Etchachan instead.
    IMG-20230515-WA0008

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I loved the Glass Allt descent of Lochnagar, is this what you did?
    IMG-20230516-WA0020
    but if you found it too full on then the Loch Callater descent is a lot easier ( but still not easy)

We did Broad Cairn along with Lochnagar, but it looks excellent on its own. Up the LRT then down Forked Lightning.

Same Lochcallater descent can be accessed from Glenshee ski area via 5 other Munros.

Morronne isn’t a Munro, but definitely fits the mellower requirement.
    20210813_142022
    20210813_143255

Whereas Ben Vrackie fits neither! But is bloody brilliant
    PXL_20220401_131814844

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Just to check, did you do Bhuird anti clockwise? That’s the best loop
    IMHO.
    IMG-20230513-WA0000

Did Carn Ban Mor ages ago, it was shit.

If yours willing to flex the definition of Munro a little then.

Bowfell has some nice smooth bits! Easier on the descent…
    PXL_20220319_135541755

Helvellyn….
    IMG-20230224-WA0008
    Got some easy trails on it….
    IMG-20210416-WA0003

Harter Fell is unbelievable. But is neither easy nor Munro. But I’m putting a photo of it anyway to remind me of happier days.
    PXL_20210501_140639519~5

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Fairfield is amazing when frozen
    20221209_215947
    20221209_130746
    20220722_220446

Actually, scratch that. It is seriously technical unless you go down by Alcock Tarn…. Which is pretty good.

Blencathra…
    IMG-20220319-WA0003

thegeneralist
    Free Member

OMC is not great. Too tricky.
    PXL_20221112_141012361.MP
    ( easy bit)

Dow Crag
    PXL_20221113_125142591.MP~2

Defo not Grisefale Pike
    PXL_20221113_143408751.MP~2

Wales, meh. Nowt to see here..
    PXL_20220107_140921857~2

elray89
    Free Member

@thegeneralist – thanks for a cracking set of replies. Some good ideas in there and I’ll be sure to tick some off this summer.

re; Lochnagar – yes, it was that Glas Alt descent via the waterfall. Maybe I wasn’t quite on it that day but it was very committing! I’ve heard of the Callater descent and may try that…I don’t mind tech (prefer it if there is a bit) but sustained steep tech is a bit much in a mountain setting at this point in my career. A friend wants to do the White Mounth circuit at some point, assuming this is the Glenshee route you’re talking?

Re: Beinn a’ Bhuird – yes. We went in the long way starting at Linn of Quoich (through the forest tracks and up past the ruin to the Corrie…pushed up the slope and pedalled round to the summit and then down the former 4×4 track straight down to the car). Wouldn’t mind hitting it again in nicer weather this year, can get down in 15-20 mins it’s class!

Morrone looks a decent bit of fun, and planning on Ben Vrackie as soon as the snow is gone for good!

not yet thought of heading to the Lakes…but I’ve heard great things.

didnthurt

Isn’t there a regular poster who has ridden many munros? I can’t remember their name though.

Maybe it was Sannny.

Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros

didnthurt

Watch McTrail Rider vids. He rides some crackers.

scuttler

There’s this guy too… name eludes me. Rides bikes in munros though 🤪

2023 – A Year in Mountains

Substitute the URL for every year back to Lord knows when.

Sanny
    Free Member

Paging Sanny. Paging Sanny.

Oh, that would be me!

Ok.Loads that are good.

Ben Avon over the north east ridge. Proper classic but a long way into the backcountry. I like doing it via Beinn a Bhuirrd.

Sgor Gaoth decending via the weather station is a classic.

The Lochnagar munros make for a fine 5 summit loop. Glas Alt Shiel has gotten a lot rockier in the last couple of years according to a friend who rode it recently.

The Glenshee munros make for a non technical day out and you can visit loads of summits in one hit. The same is true of the Dalwhinie Munros. Again, you start high so can knock out multiple summits.

The Invervar Horseshoe in Glen Lyon is a little gem. One big up for four summits.

Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas are on the more tech end of the scale but lots of fun. In fact, if you don’t mind carrying a lot, the full ridge makes for a big mountain day out.

Derry Cairngorm was great when I did it with Carn a Mhaim and MacDui in a loop. The top of Derry is a rockfest and a pain but the singletrack after it down to Glen Derry was mint.

The Cairngorm 4000ers makes for another big day out. Avoid Cairn Toul by taking the bypass track as it is just a boulder field up and down.

The descent beneath the northern corries from MacDui is another little gem.

Beinn a Ghlo three make for a good ride although I believe there has been pathbuilding off the end. When I last rode it, it was a giggle down a scree field.

Dreish and Mayar are a great shout.

The two munros beside the Cobbler are worth a punt. Ridden them in the snow and believe that a new path has been put  in to what used to be a bog.

How’s that for starters?

elray89
    Free Member

Good stuff @sanny thanks! More good choices.

Lawers and Glas I had forgotten about! I’ll try and get up there in summer too as the videos look great…don’t mind skipping a bit of stuff if it’s too much. Re the whole ridge…not sure I would like to carry my bike up An Stuc if that’s what you mean, nervy enough walking up there with both hands free!

elray89
    Free Member

And on Beinn a’ Ghlo – yeah the way up Carn Liath on the A9 end is a massive stepped motorway now, can see it from miles off. Basically a 600m staircase, not sure me or my bones would like that. Though there are paths coming off down to the south of the ridge that I’ve seen in a McTrailrider video which look good.

interesting you mention the Dalwhinnie Munros. Walked Geal Charn and A’Mharconaich a year ago and remember thing the path down the spur from the latter towards the road looked awesome for bikes until halfway down, but then would be a couple miles of bogfest to the road so would need a sustained dry period. Big access track to the saddle between them though looks a good way up.

Sanny
    Free Member

What about Mount Keen? Old school!

Ben Wyvis is another one worth considering.

The ben Lui 4 fall into the love or hate category.

I very much enjoyed doing the Ben Dorain 4. Bit clambery down at one point but very much enjoyed the ride down to the Locham.

Binean Mor is a bloody joy but you need to be comfortable on switchbacks.

Going to be doing Creag megaidh soon, hopefully with munrobiker for company.

I loved the steep grass bowl descent of Buchaille etive Mor but it is not to everyones taste. Very much enjoyed the traverse between the two tops.

Cheers

Sanny

euain

Derry Cairngorm was great when I did it with Carn a Mhaim and MacDui in a loop. The top of Derry is a rockfest and a pain but the singletrack after it down to Glen Derry was mint.

I’ve walked down that single track. I remember it being an absolute ball-ache to walk down on tired legs and wishing I had my bike! Definitely worth a look 🙂

mrchrist

Love these threads. Bookmarking for future adventures. Thanks STW.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.