Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Any subcontractors? Advice required.
  • beaker

I'm dabbling with leaving my nice safe permanent job and getting into subcontracting. I work with subbies on a daily basis and know there is work out there. I've sent my CV off to an agency and they're confident I'll find work. The agency have recommended I go with an umbrella company as I'm new to this, but I've been told not to bother by one or guys as umbrella companies are more interested in themselves, not only that I've heard of bad experiences. Any wisdom or experiences appreciated.

Has anyone been in this position and what do I need to be thinking about?

Cheers in advance!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

What line of work? That will make a difference.

An an ex recruiter, I would warn against "promises" from any of them – they are mostly of the "2nd hand car dealer" variety.

Do you know an accountant? Worth talking to one (or Business Link) about the best options – umbrella companies have their benefits but some are dodgy and the government hates them – wouldn't surprise me if they ban them.

beaker

Cheers for your reply Mat. It'll be in telecomms industry. I've been told to find an accountant and tell him to 'sort it all out for me', give him my company name and get him to do the rest. It'll be an avenue I investigate. I know that umbrella companies arrange sick pay etc which is a plus but as you say they can be dodgy and I've not really heard a good thing said about them yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Any subcontractors? Advice required.’ is closed to new replies.