Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Any small vans that’ll take an 8×4 sheet?
  • kayak23

one size up from the blingos the second generation (2007 – 14) scudo/ dispatch etc in long wheel base let you get an 8×4 flat on the floor but not on edge. In that size they’re almost transit size but pretty cheap by comparison on the used market and feel smaller to drive – lower driving position and lower centre of gravity

Been looking a bit closer at the Dispatch/Scudo.

My workshop landlord has an L2 Scudo. He reckons you struggle a bit getting an 8×4 in due to the way they ply line the wheel arches.

I have to say, seeing it in front of me and next to my Blingo, it’s kin mahoosive! 😳

Mind you, despite what he said about difficulty finding parking, he won me over with tales of driving it to the Alps with a couple of motorbikes in the back.

My ideal choice would have, tailgate boot for rain cover, bench passenger seat, 2 rear side doors.

I’m looking at Transporters too, but I guess you pay Volkswagen tax on them. Seem to be a few under 5k though.

Anyone have any experience with the Dispatch/Scudo? L2 model?

kayak23

So, In the last few days I’ve looked at 3 Toyota Hiaces, and today I went and looked at  Merc Vito.

So far, the Merc is winning me over, mainly as it has twin sliding doors which I think is very useful if you want it, and it’s got a tailgate boot which I’ve grown to love on my Berlingo for rain cover.

It’s a 2007, 110k 2.2 and at £3.5k. Anyone care to share some experiences with a Vito or indeed a Hiace?

Looks a bit like this…

TheDTs
    Free Member

We have a Vito at work, we all like it. Drives well on motorways,gear change on manuals is a bit lumpy but something you get used to. Rear wheel drive so turning circle seems good, but gets stuck in fields easily, don’t ask how I know that.
    8×4 laying flat on floor or diagonally stood up, won’t fit in our mwb stood up along side of van.

maccruiskeen

Anyone care to share some experiences with a Vito

Never owned one but used to hire frequently in 9 seater guise when I owned a swb sprinter. The main thing that struck me was …. even though in load terms the Vito is a smaller van it seemed to take up just as much room in manoeuvring terms as the sprinter.  If anything she sprinter feels smaller to drive – in swb form they turn like a taxi

Swb sprinters are more numerous and less sought after so you might be able to get a younger / better spec sprinter for your money.

kilo

It’s a 2007, 110k 2.2 and at £3.5k. Anyone care to share some experiences with a Vito or indeed a Hiace

Use to drive hiaces an awful lot on surveillance, great vans. We found them very, very bullet proof, reasonably quick and ok to spend a few days in (that’s a few days in it without a break!). One of my all time favourites, much prefered it to the vws and vitos which came after. I’ve instructed Mrs kilo that when I die I want one instead of a hearse.
    I seriously considered getting one for biking duties but couldn’t justify it to the wife at the time

kayak23

Most folks I talk to are saying a vito will rust to bits and is very thirsty.

Any truth in that?

From what I’ve read, the older, older ones had the rust issues, and particularly the white ones that used water based paint.

tthew

I think they solved the rusting problems when they brought out that version you posted up there. A Hiace will still probably last longer though.

maccruiskeen

Any truth in that?

yes – rust ‘a lot’ rather than ‘rust to death’ perhaps – mercs or any kind, not just white vans,  of a certain vintage,had to a tendency to rust everywhere you could see but not so much anywhere that really mattered – they generally stay structurally sound but look like shit. Around 2007 / 8 there was an improvement  –  if you’re looking at anything of that sort of age it’ll be completely apparent by now which side of that improvement a particular example is.

Although mostly cosmetic –  on vans where it can practically rather than aesthetically problematic is corrosion around door handles or around surface mounted hinges and the numberplate lights on on rear van doors. I used to have to ‘slam’ the doors on my sprinter very carefully!.

maccruiskeen

I think they solved the rusting problems when they brought out that version you posted up there.

no they didn’t – they sorted out the rust problem during the run of the one up there – early examples had problems, later ones didn’t – that model came out in 2003 and ran til 2014 – the rust problem was solved somewhere in the middle of that run. 2007 is possibly on the wrong side of that fix.

kayak23

To be fair it didn’t look that bad. It had bits here and there. Lots of tiny stone chips on bonnet, none of which seemed to be rusting.

Worst was a few bubbles and spots around the rear wheel arch..I noticed a bit of touch up paint in a couple of spots, then in the cab I noticed a little bottle of maroon nail varnish 😂

Still, as said above, if it had serious rust problems, I reckon it would be obvious.

It’s this one by the way.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904197146186?advertising-location=at_vans&postcode=b930ef&model=VITO&page=1&radius=5&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

maccruiskeen

that’s the SWB/compact model… you’ll not get an 8×4 in the back will you?

colp

They are galvanised from 2006 onwards.
    I have a Sept 06 with 222000 miles on now with no rust.
    Been a fantastic van and I’d definitely replace it with another.
    Things to look out for are leaky injectors (look for black gunk around injectors), water hose comes through rear wiper motor and can develop a leak.
    Prop shaft might need balancing around 150000 miles.

maccruiskeen

They are galvanised from 2006 onwards.

if its a model on the cusp of that date though you need to be wary – the number plate shows when it left the forecourt, not when it left the factory.

aside from the injector leak / gunk issue which can be difficult to spot of a cursory inspection as (unless its been lost over the years) theres usually a plastic cover over that part of the engine. The other thing to look for is, although not compulsory until 09, merc had started to fit DPFs earlier (my 57 plate merc has one but my 58 plate peugeot doesn’t) and they can be an expensive buggering headache. – look for a bizarre Heath Robinson bong at the very start of the exhaust where it leaves the engine bay.

I’m not really clear as to whether you’re allowed to take them off at that vintage (I’ve spent the money now so **** it) in MOT terms. Its a bit of a cleft stick – they’re an expensive pain to have so theres some merits in buying a van too old to have one fitted – but… increasingly … there’ll be places over the next few years that you can’t drive (without paying) without one – although some places are jumping straight to Euro 6 so you can end up doubly damned and paying to maintain the DPF and unable to drive in certain cities anyway.

kayak23

Another thing the bloke said (he seemed a nice bloke and we shared an interest in motorcycles) was that sometimes the glow plug light would stay on a while. Seems that this is common and can mean new glow plug relay, glow plugs, or do nowt.

slackalice
    Free Member

Hiace every time. As said before, bullet proof and used extensively in parts of the world where roads are very casual and often, brutal. It may rust, certainly not as soon or quickly as the Vito and generally shows in areas that have been repaired poorly, so if no obvious signs of scrapes or dings and panel shut lines are good, that’ll help it’s longevity.

I’ve driven both, often laden with things like woodstoves and associated install gear and the Hiace felt the better to deal with the loads and driving it.

HTH

kayak23

Cheers Slackalice. It does help.

Most of my Facebook friend poll are saying Volkswagen.

I really like how the vito has twin sliders and an 8×4 slides neatly flat under the seats.

Not sure how a Hiace or transporter would compare here, but the Vito does seem to be getting less votes.

timba
    Free Member

I really like how the vito has twin sliders and an 8×4 slides neatly flat under the seats.

Hmmm, I’ll have a look at my NV200 later because the bulkhead is removeable which might give you the extra 1/2m under the seats. I think that the seats are mounted up on a high frame tho (there’s a drawer-thingy under the driver, and the jack under the passenger). I won’t be taking the bulkhead out, just a look 🙂

colp

The thing about a VW is that you’ll need to buy a big box of drive shafts to pop in every 40k miles.

I’ve had a glow plug light on in mine for about 2 years now, goes on and off.
    Code reader says it’s the no.2 plug but have just left it. It still starts fine.

kayak23

Yeah, I mean the Vito started first kick, drove really nicely, gears seemed ‘tight’, brakes were good, handbrake was weird.

The Nv200, I had kind of ruled out as looking at one the other day, it didn’t look much more spacious than my Berlingo really. Didn’t have a 3 seater front either.

timba
    Free Member

The Nv200, I had kind of ruled out as looking at one the other day,

8 x 4 won’t fit under the front seats in any case, 2m x 1.22m is about it

kayak23

Cheers for looking timba. Shame as I really like them. Kind of settled on a 3 front seater though.

kayak23

Ok, I’m very close to hitting the button on a Toyota Hiace, but I still have a niggling doubt that maybe I should be going Transporter.

I think both swb vans may not fully take an 8×4, but they both probably would diagonally, on edge at a push. Anyway, I think my initial focus on that has waned slightly as realistically, with tools in too I’d need a lwb, and I don’t want one.

So, anyone care to pitch in with some final thoughts between a Hiace and a Transporter and sway me one way or the other?

For a measure, the Transporter I’m looking at is a 2007 2.5 tdi, 125k at £4750, and the Hiace is 2010, 2.4 I think, 95k and £5380. 👍

TheBrick
    Free Member

I had a sucdo and could fit a 8×4 diagonally. Never tried on the floor.

maccruiskeen

both probably would

Dont accept probably or other people’s ideas of what ‘should’ fit (see suggestions of an nv200) and the manufacturer figures can’t be trusted. You’re own tape measure is the only thing to trust. And and in the actual van. All the models you’re talking about come in 2 or 3 different lengths and little details like a different bulkhead options or different arch liners can mean stuff either does or doesn’t fit . And given ply sized fluctuate a bit being too snug between the arches can stop you using the length under the seats

Even people who say they’ve ‘had an 8×4 in the back’…. an 8×4 what? Plasterboard sheets are a fair bit smaller than plywood but they’re both “8x4s”

Marko

So, anyone care to pitch in with some final thoughts between a Hiace and a Transporter and sway me one way or the other?

I’d avoid a Transporter of that age. The 2.5 engine is a dog and has already been pointed out you’ll need to budget for a box of driveshafts.

Hth

jam-bo

The 2.5 engine is a dog and has already been pointed out you’ll need to budget for a box of driveshafts.

Hth

my driveshafts are fine. everything else has been replaced…

tthew

Even people who say they’ve ‘had an 8×4 in the back’…. an 8×4 what? Plasterboard sheets are a fair bit smaller than plywood but they’re both “8x4s”

Well that’s handy to know. I was hoping to get a sheet of ply in the back of mine this weekend!

mattbee

My SWB T5 would take 8×4 sheets of ply flat if I rested them on the wheel arch liners if that makes sense?

kayak23

Yeah I think so. I read about someone who put a false floor in up to that level and so was able to lie them flat in there.

As long as they fit betwixt the arches, I reckon I’m resigned to perhaps having them stick out of the back door a little and cover them with a placcy bag or something. It’s not like they are my main daily cargo.

jam-bo

8×4 sheets of OSB will fit in a SWB T5, either lying flat as above, or standing vertically on a diagonal if you drop the passenger seat forwards and flat (assuming its a double passenger seat and double rear seat).

if you don’t any rear seats then they will slide into the gap between the passenger seat and the drivers seat.

maccruiskeen

8×4 sheets of OSB will fit in a SWB T5

Osb comes in two different sizes of 8×4 – some are 8×4 imperial like ply, some are 2.4×1,2 metric like plaster board (says man who framed for one and had 50 sheets of the other delivered!

kayak23

^^^ oops 😂

maccruiskeen

I swore a lot!

And the worst thing is I now can’t remember which grade is which size so its a mistake I’ll probably make again in the future too. Theres different ratings for water resistance (OSB2 and OSB3) one is presumaby sized metric on the assumption that it’ll be used on the same frames that have plasterboard on the other side.

Worse than bloody USB-C!

timba
    Free Member

I now can’t remember which grade is which size

It can vary with thickness too… most(!) wood sheet is 2440 x 1220 (nominally 8×4), but I’ve found OSB3 in 9mm, 11 and 18 at this size and 15mm OSB3 from the same yard at 2400 x 1200

maccruiskeen

there’ll be no more of that after Brexit.

kayak23

Well, I bought one. 😳

Went for a decent test drive, underneath and all sorts of checks, mot history, vehicle history, knocked the price down, gave them my #Radwagon (Berlingo) which I’m upset about but there you go.

Hoping to hell I’ve got an ok one. Seemed pretty good driving back from Nottingham yesterday, except a few very slight knocks when slowing into islands mainly. It passed an mot the day I bought it though so hopefully all is well steering/suspension-wise.

An unexpected bonus is, it seems that an 8×4 WILL fit in the back. Either flat on the floor, or diagonally upright. 👍🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RVB3U4]27 April 2019 100645 BST[/url] by blackteaonesugar, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fG6KCB]Untitled[/url] by blackteaonesugar, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fG6Lj6]Untitled[/url] by blackteaonesugar, on Flickr

Incidentally, I don’t know what the dark stain is in the back but there’s a hook above it so most likely that’s where they hung their victims to bleed out. 😳

tthew

Looks pretty good. Approves.

maccruiskeen

there’s a hook above it so most likely that’s where they hung their victims to bleed out.

all the black Hiaces I’ve seen in the past have been the euphemistic ‘private ambulance’ 🙂

that roof rack is a bit of a bonus too.

tthew

Oh I’ve just noticed, does that have no side sliding doors? Slight PITA to be climbing in the back to retrieve stuff from the bulkhead end.

maccruiskeen

looks like there’s a side door there to me – on the passenger side.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Any small vans that’ll take an 8×4 sheet?’ is closed to new replies.