Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any riding to be had around Tunbridge Wells?
  • Bregante

As an antisocial Northerner I find myself faced with 5 days down south with Mrs B’s family in that Tunbridge Wells over christmas. As a pacifier she has agreed that I can take a bike in order to escape the clutches of her nearest and dearest. No doubt there is plenty of road riding but I’d rather take the hardtail for greater all weather flexibility. Is there anything down there at all or should I resign myself to 5 days of eating and drinking in the company of people who talk about a sport called “rugger” 😀

rewski
    Free Member

Porc in penshurst, bedgebury, toys hill, crockham hill and north downs way not far, google crowborough mtb club, they’ll know a few cheeky places around ashdown forest area. There’s plenty of bridle ways but if you’re after flowing single track and decent descents then the surrey hills is well worth a drive from tun wells. Not far from South Downs either, friston forget near Eastbourne, stanmer park near Brighton.

Bazz

Given the current weather i’d say Bedgebury was your best bet, it’s the closest to a trail centre down here and is standing up to the rain pretty well, alot of the natural stuff just isn’t that much fun in axle deep mud.

If you do visit there then be warned parking is a steep £8.50, try getting someone to drop you off and pick you up after to avoid it.

flipiddy
    Free Member

There’s some decent riding around T Wells area, but a car is your best bet.

If it’s dry/frosty check out Bedgebury, which is about 15 mins drive for some fast Singletrack riding.
    Sevenoaks/Seal Chart/Ightam is just down the road and has some great stuff if you can find a local to show you the hidden trails.
    Friston/Swinley/Surrey Hills are under an hours drive.
    Alternatively hook up with someone on the sketchy boards (although it’s mostly East Kent): http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl

I would offer to show you around, but I’ve been off the bike for a while due to health reasons.

Email me if you need any help.

Bregante

Cheers all. Now I just need to work out how to tell the brother in law he’s going to have bike in his hallway over Christmas.

Oh and [northern stereotype] £8.50 to park a car! That’s a weeks wages!! [/northern stereotype/]

Nobby

Yep, the parking charges are obscene but there are places close by where you can park up & ride in – even if it’s just the lay-by on the A21 just past the B2079 (which is the access road to the centre). I’d not use the car park opposite though as it has a reputation…

Bazz

Oh and [northern stereotype] £8.50 to park a car! That’s a weeks wages!! [/northern stereotype/]

I know, i try to tell myself on the rare occaison that i go there that the money goes back into the trails etc. but to be honest if they cut the cost i think more people would go there more often.

Nobby

I know, i try to tell myself on the rare occaison that i go there that the money goes back into the trails etc

The only way that seems to happen these days is if you join the BoB club – you get an annual car park pass & the money goes to them for trail building and maintenance.

The parking situation is the main reason I barely use the place anymore.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Hi, Ahh yes, the Bedgebury parking charges…

If you join us at bedgebury bike club (www.boarsonbikes.co.uk) then you get free parking, free bike wash, free showers, discount at the cafe, discount at the bike shop, discount at Cotswold Camping etc, etc. and the money does go straight to us for trail maintenance and development. However if you just turn up and pay your £8.50 then that helps us as well – the more people who ride there, the more money we can get from the FC generally. But we are already the busiest trail centre in Britain and trying to keep the trails rideable when they sink into the clay soil is “challenging” at times.

Anyway, back to the OP. Not sure when you are going to be around, but we do a club ride there every Saturday morning which you are very welcome to join and there will probably be unofficial groups going out during the week as well. You are also welcome to join in our Christmnas night ride and barbecue on the evening of the 22nd as well. Bedgebury may get pretty “puddly” at times, but most of the natural stuff around there is deep unridable mud at the moment.

If you give me a shout (email in profile) I may well be able to help with car parking and bike wash tokens as well…

Boris

Bregante

Cheers Boris. I may well take you up on that. Unfortunately I won’t be around on a saturday. We arrive on Sunday 23rd and leave the following Friday.

I will get in touch in the next few days though.

Thanks all.

trevron73
    Free Member

I am around on the 27thand 28th Bregante and i will be heading up to Bedgebury as its my weekly ride. It was immense fun yesterday ,also i only been to P.O.R.C once but would be up for another visit.I am too a former Northener (Yorkshire dales )but now i live in the Holland of Britain(Sussex)

lilchris
    Free Member

http://www.thebulltrack.co.uk/about/

There’ a track in Crowborough, 10 miles from TW.
    Never been myself

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any riding to be had around Tunbridge Wells?’ is closed to new replies.