Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any regular ebayers here… help needed
  • andygreener

Basically i have sold something for the first time using the bay. The item is a sega dremcast with a lot of extras.

I didn't offer local pick up as i'm always out and about with my job and spend a lot of time away from home.

I just took a phone call from the buyer who has asked if he can come pick it up or me to drop off for cash as he is local.

Now i estimated it would cost about £15 to send it and noted £20 that on my listing.

Do i have to accept his offer if i'm around or can i rightfully say you have to pay the postage as advertised?

Also do ebay often give out teir seller home phone number?

tails
    Free Member

Well its understandable that he doesn't want to pay £20 postage I would take his offer otherwise you look a bit suspect, I certainly would not pay you. hether you can rightfully decline his pick up I am not sure I know mail order companies say no pick up.

On the phone number I think it gives away your name and then he can look in the phone book.

mboy
    Free Member

Personally, I'd let him come round, or meet you at a mutual location, but at your convenience.

Explain the situation to him, he'll probably be happy to wait a few days to save £20 especially as he lives close. As an ebayer myself, I personally find it VERY insulting when people I live near enough to to actually collect an item I've won off them from won't let me come and collect! It makes me think they have something VERY shady to hide. I can understand if the person wouldn't necessarily want me mooching round their house, but how much effort is it to meet at the local pub car park, or petrol station? Certainly less effort then putting everything in a well packed box, wrapping it up, putting an address label on it, then crossing the palms of the local Post Office with silver in the vein hope it will get to its intended recipient in one piece! Nah, I'll always gladly wait a few days if I can pick an item up in person myself…

rs
    Free Member

As the seller I guess its up to you what you do, but if you can arrange a mutually convenient time saves having to package it all up. Give him the times he can collect and don't let him fanny you about, have had that before, the buyer ended up waiting two weeks to get something i could have posted in two days.

andygreener

Thanks for the replies, only this is I'm not always around, my girlf lives in yeovil and while i work in Bristol, i'm not around for days at a time and i'm away most weekend which is why i didn't offer it in the first place.

I know it much more convinient and cheaper for me and the buyer to pick it up but now i have to make an effort trying to organise sometime where we can meet up. He works nights, I work days.

jonb
    Free Member

Offer to drop it off? I've done that before as it's been more convenient for me.

I've sold loads as cash on collection. I prefer it with large items as it saves all the hastle of posting. I've sold two kayaks, paddles, a bike frame, a car (tricky to post that one) amongst other bits.

walla24
    Free Member

Just charge him what it actually costs to post?
    If you explain you are never in etc, not much he can say to that. Or work out some way to deliver/leave with neighbour etc

takisawa2

If he pays cash fine, but if he pays with PayPal & then collects, get him to give you a signed receipt for the goods, as this used to be a scam whereby they pay you, collect the goods in person, then file a "goods not received" & get a PayPal refund, which they then take back off you.

MikeG

if he pays with paypal DONT let him collect, even if you video him collecting it if he says he's not received it paypal will side with him. The only proof of delivery they accept is from the post office or courier, and no proof of delivery means they will refund the buyer and take the money from you.

andygreener

I offer to drop it off when i am in the area for cash-is there a time limit for this?

If he can't wait i'll offer to post it. If he ain't happy with this, is there a way to 'cancel' the sell?

Spongebob
    Free Member

I'd take cash on collection and save your 4% Paypal fees.

I'd also recommend not using ebay to sell, or buy stuff! Ebay/Paypal customer service and charges are now insulting. By their behaviour, it's patently clear Ebay don't want private sellers anymore.

Look elsewhere obline when you are buying stuff. 95% of the time it's cheaper not using ebay and getting a problem put right is hugely more straightforward with a proper retailer.

tails
    Free Member

I'd also recommend not using ebay to sell, or buy stuff! Ebay/Paypal customer service and charges are now insulting. By their behaviour, it's patently clear Ebay don't want private sellers anymore.

Look elsewhere obline when you are buying stuff. 95% of the time it's cheaper not using ebay and getting a problem put right is hugely more straightforward with a proper retailer.

I agree with you to a point SB but also on places like this there are buyers who take this piss despite the what is it 10% ebay fee 4% paypal its still the only auction site, the only company who I feel could challenge ebay are google but its probably not in there interest.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any regular ebayers here… help needed’ is closed to new replies.