• This topic has 72 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Powerlinks – pair
  • Drac

Wouldn't it make more sense to think of a power link as being composed of two halves, which together make one link?

An almost perfect definition of the word pair.

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

Ok then we'll vote on it….

All those in favour of Pair say aye!! 😀

druidh
    Free Member

It's a pair of Powerlink parts.

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

Ok I have ammended the text, the descriptions will change when the site updates later on today……pair will become link or links depending on if it is single or multi.

Everyone happy enough with it?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871

ourkidsam
    Free Member

To me two plates are two halves of one powerlink.

Although if you had two plates, you'd still only have half a link of a chain… a link is two 'inner' plates and two 'outer' plates. Though of course I am being silly now

druidh
    Free Member

ourkidsam – Member

To me two plates are two halves of one powerlink.

Although if you had two plates, you'd still only have half a link of a chain… a link is two 'inner' plates and two 'outer' plates. Though of course I am being silly now

Nah – you're right mate, otherwise there'd be no such thing as a half-link chain.

mcboo
    Free Member

It must be August……

Drac

It really is quite simple

pair

• noun 1 a set of two things used together or regarded as a unit. 2 an article consisting of two joined or corresponding parts. 3 two people or animals related in some way or considered together. 4 two opposing members of a parliament who absent themselves from voting by mutual arrangement.

• verb 1 join or connect to form a pair. 2 (pair off/up) form a couple.

Digimap
    Free Member

Slight topic derail but I just fitted a 10 speed SRAM chain complete with supplied powerlink and it's changed. You fit it in the usual way but you can't close it manually. You have to put pressure on the cranks then it closes with a click and it CANT be undone or re-used. I'm not being dim, that's exactly what it says in the instructions. Surely that's a step in the wrong direction by SRAM?

enfht
    Free Member

Which of these is correct then:

– I have itchy bollocks

– I have an itchy pair of bollocks

Drac

You have a pair of bollocks

Your bollocks are itchy.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I'm not being dim, that's exactly what it says in the instructions. Surely that's a step in the wrong direction by SRAM?

Yes it is stupid. Maybe it is something technical, or maybe they just wanted some of the money that shimano make by selling chain joining pins. I mean who wants to spend a couple of quid every time they take their chain off? You can buy 10 speed reusable links from other people though (I think it is Wipperman who make them).

Joe

Pieface

What do you expect when you order a pair of brake pads?

Note the s in pads

enfht
    Free Member

So what if only one is itchy?

– I have a pair of bollocks, one of which itches?

– One of my pair of bollocks itches?

Pook

Morning!

Now – I've been thinking about this. Last night i didn't get much sleep agonising over it, and although it's already been used as an example on here, if I'm on the trail and my chain snaps, and I say to my riding buddy

"Have you got a powerlink?" and he replied, "yes, do you need one?"

I would not expect him to give me half the bits I'd need to repair my chain.

Drac

Precisely.

So what if only one is itchy?

I have an itchy bollock.

It's all bollocks.

MrAgreeable

This is the best self-pwn thread for a while. 🙂

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Simply use 'left bollock' or 'right bollock'. Not if you're Lance though. He has half a pair of bollocks, or a bollock. Does that help?

enfht
    Free Member

I'm really confused

So talking "bollock" is impossible, one can only talk "bollocks" ?

Pook

Mr Agreeable – Member

This is the best self-pwn thread for a while.

maybe – but it's brought about a clarification from the shop so must have had some positive effect eh?

😀

aracer
    Free Member

if I'm on the trail and my chain snaps, and I say to my riding buddy

"Have you got a powerlink?" and he replied, "yes, do you need one?"
    What sort of idiot's going to ask "do you need one?" when he can see you've snapped your chain?

Surely he'd ask "do you need a pair?"

Drac

That would be like saying.

"Can you pass the scissors?"

"Do you need a pair?"

KINGTUT
    Free Member

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

surely two plates make up one powerlink.

or a pair of plates make up one powerlink.

I am correct. thank you

Pook
    thomthumb
    Free Member

"Can you pass the scissors?"

"Do you need a pair?"

the pair is implied by the plural. now if i was to ask for a scissor [singular] your response would be perfectly justified.

Drac

Powerlinks are known as powerlinks not powerlink hence it's the same.

enfht
    Free Member

I have a single pair of itchy bollocks

MrAgreeable

Do you really need to share that information?

john

Right. Link to sram mtb chains manual

It refers to 'both halves of the power link' (eg 2.3) and 'power link' is used as a singular repeatedly. 'Power links' is never mentioned.

Only problem is now I feel I have conclusively proved the case for 'it's a pair of link plates making up one power link' over 'it's a pair of power links to join 1 chain', and yet I don't feel like a winner…

chakaping
    Free Member

Surely that should be a pair of facepalms?

nuke

Classic thread – actually had to dig out a pair of Powerlinks (as in 2 seperate plates) to debate it with my wife (who also agreed a pair is 2 plates) 😀

Pook

I still maintain that a powerlink is both plates in the general accepted use of

"can i have a powerlink please?"

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Powerlinks – pair’ is closed to new replies.