Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any real difference between five ten products?
  • lucky7500

After a couple of years of solid all conditions use my Impacts (Sam Hill edition) are on their way out with the sole coming away from the shoe in fairly dramatic fashion! I’m planning to replace them with another set of five tens and was wondering if people notice any real difference between the different shoes while riding, or do you pretty much just go for the ones you like the look of?

rickon
    Free Member

They all feel pretty different, but still five ten like. Chose what you need the functionality of. The new shoes are better for wet conditions as they dry better.

The impacts and the elements are these shoes.

The freeriders, vxi, danny Mac, spitfire etc all feel different and we’re designed for different uses. Although they’ll all pedal your bike.

Northwind

There is imo- I just recently got a set of the newer Impact VXIs and they are bobbins frankly- just as grippy and the upper’s well made if weirdly shaped, and they’re light, and better in bad weather… but the sole’s got zero feel, it’s like having wooden soles. So I’m sticking with my Freeriders, which aren’t as good an upper in some ways but I can actually tell what I’m standing on.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Why not get them resoled.
    Was pissed off at giving my bro a set to then find out he chicked them cause of the sole going away from uppers which can be fixed by five ten nominated shoe people. Iirc they do a collect and return service.

Cant remember who they’re called but a google search will do it…

chiefgrooveguru

The soles vary quite a lot in stiffness. Mine are the Freerider VXi and they’re nice and stiff but not completely rigid feeling – however I’d rather they be stiffer than bendier. This set started delaminating on one sole but 5.10 sent me a replacement pair under warranty – I’m still wearing the faulty pair until they die though!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Can anyone give me a rough stiffness guide? Which are the most / least stiff soles? I always thought the soles were very similar and just uppers differed.

cinnamon_girl

I bought these in the Summer and they’re really comfy. The sole however is not as stiff as the Impact’s.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/five-ten-freerider-mtb-shoe-2014/rp-prod118577

chiefgrooveguru

I think it’s something like,

Spitfire, Freerider, Freerider VXi, Impacts, in ascending order.

If they’re dirt jump they’re bendier than trail which are bendier than DH.

lucky7500

Thanks all for the quick replies!
    Northwind & chiefgrooveguru, do you find the Freeriders fairly water resistant? I particularly like the idea of the more flexible sole but, largely from pictures admittedly, the construction / materials around the toe always look quite porous.

singlesteed, I had no idea that it was even possible to have them resoled so I’ll definitely look in to that!!
    I suspect that I’ll end up having them resoled and buying a new pair as well in the meantime 🙂

lucky7500

cinnamon girl, Very handy to know thanks, the teal ones look fantastic 🙂 Much as I love my existing Impacts I have occasionally thought that the sole could stand to be a little less rigid but like groundskeeperwilly had always assumed it was just a feature of five tens and they were all like that!

rickon
    Free Member

Freeriders are like a cardboard sponge. The Freeriders elements would be better bet if you want your shoes to dry quicker than four days.

Northwind

lucky7500 – Member

Northwind & chiefgrooveguru, do you find the Freeriders fairly water resistant

Not at all 🙂 But they do dry out much faster than the old Impacts and hold less water so are a bit better in winter. I’ve just got a set of the Freerider Elements, which are supposed to be better- they still don’t feel like winter shoes but probably a step in the right direction.

The new Impacts VXIs are actually pretty good weatherwise- water resistant, pretty warm, and the thinner material holds less water too. I just don’t like riding in them unfortunately. I’m going to keep trying since I already bought the bloomin things but so far, they’re pretty crap

davosaurusrex

I tried on the impact Vxis and for me the fit was appalling, far worse than my 8 year old impacts. Bought the specialized 2FOs and some half price sealskins from CRC. Might not be a great winter option but the shoes seem far superior to any current 5 10 product. I also have the freeriders and they’re really comfy but basically skate uppers and soles are far too flexible for my size 12s

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My freerider element VXI have relegated my Danny macs to normal trainer duties. Awesome shoes, sticky, firm enough, but most importantly fantastic in the wet.

lucky7500

Northwind, Haha that sounds about how I had imagined 🙂 Over winter I don’t think my Impacts ever strictly dry so any improvement on that is a bonus! I’m not expecting anything to be a ‘winter’ shoe as such just wearable all year. I’ve been following the winter boot threads for the more extreme weather 🙂
    davosaurusrex, That’s interesting to know as I’m size 11.
    Nobeerinthefridge, That sounds like exactly what I’m after. It appears that a day out in Edinburgh trying the different fits might well be in order!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any real difference between five ten products?’ is closed to new replies.