Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any NTL/Virgin engineers or wanabes would like to tell me…..
  • postierich
    Free Member

Which wire goes were from the pics please, dismantled ages ago and scibbled down where they go but it is now lost so any one help tried google but to no avail.

Ta Rich

simon_g

Which wire for what?

We have a box where it comes into the house, coax from that to a splitter – then one coax to cable TV box, one coax to cablemodem. Separate feed into the house for phone, which is bog standard as far as extension wiring goes.

postierich
    Free Member

Its the seperate feed for the phone as far as I remember there were only 3 of the wires that actually connected to the box
    Doh I forgot the pics!

GrahamA
    Free Member

And there was me thinking ypu worked for the GPO 🙂

stuey
    Free Member

1 N/A
    No connection

2 Blue with White Bands
    Speech and Ringing

3 Orange with White Bands
    Ringing

4 White with Orange Bands
    Not used but usually connected for neatness

5 White with Blue Bands
    Speech and Ringing

6 N/A
    No connection

If that's not right – try licking each wire in turn whilst phoning your landline with a mobile 😉

Flaperon

Try blue into 2 & 5, and if that doesn't work, orange instead. You'll need a special tool to insert the wires, though.

takisawa2
    postierich
    Free Member

Stuey no joy yet box is numbered 2 to 5 and there is still 2 loose wires.

stuey
    Free Member

Hi Rich
    you only need 2-blueWhite, 3-orangeWhite & 5 whiteblue

The diagrams on takisawa2 link don't help – try checking the colours on the main box coming into the house – then match the colours to numbers on your extension socket.

IF your picture IS the main socket – then you need just two wires connexted to 'A'and 'B' – they're both the outside connections by the black pcb component – would need a voltmeter to diagnose what 'colours' are you main 'BT'cables – 0v and -48v. Normally GPO orange and white – but i can't see those in your pictue. If you short the 'right' pair they will spark. ( warning -this may break the global super hightway and cause you beard to grow straight)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Telecoms/Telephone%20Wiring.htm

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/CTE5_TW_rear.jpg

If none of this helps – sorry, I should stick to fixing bikes :o)

postierich
    Free Member

Still no joy this is a cable(virgin)phone I have rang the line on the mobile and it rings on the mobile ie calling but the actual phone is not making mumur.
    @ the mo
    Blue with white bands in 2
    orange with white bands in 3
    and white with blue bands in 5

I have grey with white bands loose and orange with white bands,white with green bands all loose dont they need to go somewhere?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

No they don't, Blue white/White blue carry the line and Orange white carries the ringer to any extensions (as long as it is wired according to the rules) although as an ex Telewest (pre NTL/Virgin etc) engineer, I can affirm that might not be the case 🙂
    Cant see your pictures, is this a main socket or an extension you are reconnecting?
    If an extension, check the wiring at the main socket and match it.
    If it is your main line you probably have a box on the outside of your house? If so peek inside and see which wires are connected to the wire coming to your house (might be in a cellar if you have one, just follow the wire) or, strip the end of all the wires, spit on your finger and see which ones make it bubble.
    Honest, it works and stings less than licking them (that is reserved for trainees).
    These two should go into 2 and 5.

EDIT- the others don't need to go anywhere.

spooky_b329

Check the ringer on the phone hasn't be knocked into the off position!

Not sure if cable is the same as BT, but you should get 48v DC between two wires, and 75v AC between them and the ring wire, normally orange with white rings. If you don't have a multimeter, you should be able to feel the 75v AV as a small electric shock when you ring the phone 🙂

The 48v will not normally spark when you short them out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any NTL/Virgin engineers or wanabes would like to tell me…..’ is closed to new replies.