Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 188 total)
  • Any Money saving tips ?
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

Mine is not to internet shop whilst inebriated. I was surprised to find a delivery from Amazon the other day (1 click ordering 8) ) and a set of golf clubs once.

Use a plastic bowl in the sink for the washing up.

Genuine Q but where is the saving in this over filling up the sink to wash up? Other than the small size different between the bowl and the sink.

there is a fine line tbh between thrifty and living like a tramp for a rainy day – you may never see

I like this 🙂 I used to get quite het up over finances but find once its under control not fretting over the small details means I’m far more relaxed.

Travis

In the bathroom in the MIL house, under the sink is a ledge, this is to put a bucket to catch all the waste water, so that it can be used for the loo.
    In the Shower (no bath in the house) there are buckets too.
    It takes time for the hot water to come through, so don’t waste it.

Mind you, she is from a part of the world, in where they eat every part of the animal they are cooking (otherwise it’s waste)

She comes to our house, wearing 5 layers of clothing, turns our heating off and opens the windows for fresh air (it’s about 1c outside)
    If it was just me, I’d be fine with that, but I have 2 young children, so I close the windows, and turn the heating back on.

I also think, that if men only go grocery shopping money (and time) could be saved to.
    I normally write a list of what I want, go to the shop, buy it (quickly) and come home. The wife, just dithers and looks at everything.

toby1

Don’t food shop hungry! Eat beforehand buy half as much.

Earn more, lots more – makes saving loads easier 🙂

Make spreadsheets too, work out your incoming and outgoing money for the month, work out what you need to live on each week and what you can spend/save! I have had one for years and it has really helped me to handle what I do with my money.

Also though, remember that having money in the bank is not the same as having enjoyed your life.

johndoh
    Free Member

Bonus points for surfing STW using work WiFi

Bonus points for surfing STW 8) using work WiFi

SD-253
    Free Member

.peterfile – Member
    Buy one carrot, varnish it, use it time and time again

have to cut them in pieces leaving a trail up to and into the back of the cage. Good try peterfile keep thinking but remember they have to eat some.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Set up a standing order to move money out of your account on pay day. You will/should spend to your means.

SD-253
    Free Member

snap – Member
    WOW
    wasnt expecting this much response
    im lovin how some save money

Were going to
    Changing banks soon ( been with lloyds for 30yrs )
    Good 1st Direct via money saving expert £120 they do all the shifting and they throw in a 6% savings account. Internet only but do high Street banking with there owner HSBC

Getting a water butt to catch rainwater to clean car etc
    BAD have to think about capital costs let’s say £30? My total water bill per year is £66. How’s much can you save by using a water butt a £1 a year doubt that much. Also the water is dirty. Clouds form around dust in the upper atmosphere.

Selling all stuff i havent used for ages or dont necessarily need
    Good I was giving a loads of clothes to the sally Anne but my fish lady took them when she was delivering fish. Next delivery got lots of freebies.

Never just carrying on with policies again.
    Good but don’t assume you should not take out bad polcies. May I suggest you take out the Sun Life policy recommended by Michael Parkinson? £4 a month 1st month free DD for second month. I choose £75 worth of M&S vouchers as my present from them. Arrived after the £4was taken out. Spent the vouchers on Gin to make my Sloe Gin and cancelled policy as per the small print. They offered to give me back my £4 if gave them back the vouchers?? MAY STILL BE AVAILABLE!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“BAD have to think about capital costs let’s say £30? My total water bill per year is £66. How’s much can you save by using a water butt a £1 a year doubt that much. Also the water is dirty. Clouds form around dust in the upper atmosphere.”

think out side the box – you dont need to have an expense here….

justask around and you can geta barrel FOC – try gumtree or freecycle.

give it a quick paint – jimmy rig a tap with a hose fitting at bottom.

cheapo

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Rather than buying Mueller corner yoghurts –

1) buy a pack of value bourbon biscuits.
    2) take one out of the packet
    3) smash it with a rolling pin
    4) add to generic yoghurt

SD-253
    Free Member

Massive fan of freecycle. I tend to give more than I get as lots of people refuse to believe you can carry there stuff on or in your bike trailer or because it is to far to go to collect. The good side to that is some offer to deliver. Managed to carry two very large compost bins tied across a trailer about 15 miles home turned out very easy as the wind was behind me. Either way it can be easier to give it way than take to tip.

SD-253
    Free Member

Mate was taking freezer to tip told him to bring to my house to put on freecycle. Cheaper and quicker to bring to me. Gave it to fish !ady for 6 Salmon on Croute.

SD-253
    Free Member

.peterfile – Member
    Hi SD-253

Just been perusing your posts.

With all the money you save by eating pigeons etc, it would amuse me greatly if you then blow it all on crack and hookers.

I actually blow it all on beer and bikes but I am not sure if the latter counts as it saves me money ……… looks like I blow it all on beer but only to help the local communities out by keeping Lincolnshire Wolds village pubs open. I don’t actually like beer its my bit for the community….. Honest.

SamB
    Free Member

How on earth has this thread not devolved into silliness yet? I’ll get thing started… 😀

[list]
    [*]DON’T waste money on expensive iPods. Simply think of your favourite tune and I hum it. If you want to “switch tracks”, simply think of another song you like and hum that instead.[/*]
    [*]SHOES last twice as long if only worn every other day.[/*]
    [*]EMPLOYEES: Only use the loo at work. Not only will you save money on toilet paper, but you’ll also be getting paid.[/*]
    [*]SCROOGES: Save money at Christmas by returning last year’s cards to the sender with the simple inscription “Same to you”.[/*]
    [*]SHOPPERS: Take one grape to the till. It won’t register on the low-tech, insensitive scales so you will get it for free. Repeat this procedure 100 times or so and you have yourself a free bunch of grapes.[/*]
    [/list]

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

nothing amazing here:

do the big stuff first; mortgage (buy a house and don’t move, ever), car (buy a newish car and drive it until it literally falls apart)

financial stuff, ie insurance, almost always better bought over the internet using compare the mongkat or similar, followed by a cashback place for the actual transaction.

learn how to do stuff (simple car & home maintenance, cooking)

and stop buying crap, everyone knows what really counts as ‘essentials’ (food, shelter, job/transport) and ‘crap’ (expensive upgrades to non-essential things, shiny stuff you don’t need)

lastly, +lots for having-a-crap-at-work

Drac

Top tip for those thinking about shooting your own pigeons, the price is still about 35p each to sell to dealer so find someone who shoots them and offer them 50p each. Much cheaper than buying a rifle and shooting them yourself.

SD-253
    Free Member

.Drac – Moderator
    Top tip for those thinking about shooting your own pigeons, the price is still about 35p each to sell to dealer so find someone who shoots them and offer them 50p each. Much cheaper than buying a rifle and shooting them yourself.

2.9p is still cheaper plus a game keeper gives me some for nothing. Was haning a drink with him about a month ago and gave me one pigeon and 4 ducks. He left before I could by him a pint.

maccruiskeen

if I cycled to a hooker would she care if I was a little smelly

A cheap one wouldn’t be fussy – so its win win.

My current cheap trick just mentioned on another thread – if you make your own bread – get the big bags of chapatti flour in tesco. Its in sacks next to the basmatti rice and makes a nice light, soft loaf. 50p/kilo and sometimes less. About half the price of buying sacks of flour from costco.

SD-253
    Free Member

Now this is top tip for living in a rural area. Get to know everyone in your village even if they don’t want to know you! Same goes for pub. Make sure if they do you a favour you must do one back they will always remember that. It does not have to be equal otherwise there is no point. Although they might be getting rid of something they don’t want, a fallen tree for instance which is getting in there way. Or something they have no use for. Like a couple of tree loads of King of the Pippin’s a multipurpose apple which will ferment out to 8.4% cider. Good year for apples. For the apples I gave him my special recipe Sloe gin 70c. Got home from pub a little worse for ware didn’t notice anything in my drive. Got a text in morning from game keeper’s wife “the wood fairy’s been” dropped off during the day when out a decent amount of wood. About 5 weeks. May need to give him another bottle of Sloe gin. Especially as mentioned something about 2 Willow trees. Talking about my NFU insurance, which I prefer to bloke in pub turns out he is the manager in local office. Said give us a ring when comes up for renewal. 10% reduction £36 4 beers behind the bar for him. Will try for more next renewal. May come back with some more later.

SD-253
    Free Member

Argh this maybe a bad thing for some! Every Monday I see what’s on bay Crazy this is a site which shows you listing which allowe collection in some cases collection only. Normally cheaper because in collection only as they have reduced there buyers either way no postage costs. My fuel costs are very low about 40 calories a mile. I only put in 10 mile raidius and put nothing in the search box. You will be surprised at how many things you didn’t know you needed like a moulinex electric mince and sausage maker excellent condition £1.04p. Collection only reduced buyers to me and she probably got someone to start the bidding.

SD-253
    Free Member

Next How to bid on Ebay………don’t Use a bid snipper site which bids for you 10 seconds before the end. No bidding war and nobody will be able to out bid you at the last moment. Bid out of season I think bikes are out of season in the winter. Also check what the average price an item sells for use advanced settings on search box for items already sold and then bid less sooner or later you will win. Example Schwalbe ice tyres £40 in summer (out of season summer) £100 new better second hand as broken in for you. Bidnip charges $9.99 for 20 snipes but there only used if you win

SD-253
    Free Member

.maccruiskeen – Member
    if I cycled to a hooker would she care if I was a little smelly
    A cheap one wouldn’t be fussy – so its win win.

My current cheap trick just mentioned on another thread – if you make your own bread – get the big bags of chapatti flour in tesco. Its in sacks next to the basmatti rice and makes a nice light, soft loaf. 50p/kilo and sometimes less. About half the price of buying sacks of flour from costco. have you looked at approved foods. Sometimes they have products which didn’t take off Epicures Italian tomatoe starter which I cannot remember the name off. Bought 4 hind site would have bought 60 beautiful. Only bought 9 Heinz sweet silver skin onions £3. Stupid an obvious one stock up on.

maccruiskeen

have you looked at approved foods.

I don’t really buy much in the way of ‘value added’ food and I’d rather see fresh food before I buy it. Its a nice idea though.

SD-253
    Free Member

.maccruiskeen – Member
    have you looked at approved foods.
    I don’t really buy much in the way of ‘value added’ food and I’d rather see fresh food before I buy it. Its a nice idea though.

sorry should have said everything sold on site is near or past its sell by date. Some not anywhere near lots and lots of deidentified ie super market own brands. Tins jars etc.

SD-253
    Free Member

2 kettles on wood burner in winter. Wash (including dishes) and make tea and coffee. Will fill flask tomorrow morning obviously have to put in electric kettle to finish off. Electric bill £21 s month all rround . Beating tomorrow £30 and hopefully the tight bastard will gives us 2 pheasants.

SD-253
    Free Member

Be suspicious of cages full of anything that can be used to reduce carbon emission. If no price on them find out. Bought about 40 florescent bulbs penny each. Swapped some for beer 4 bulbs for a pint. A form of carbon trading practiced by the electric companies. Can only describe that one as Sweeeeeeeeeet

Ben_H

peterfile – Member

£50k in ISAs? Are there not more effective ways of making £50k work for you or do you prefer the easy access to that amount of cash?

There’s no easy access – it’s all in stocks and shares ISAs. Since taking a massive dive in 2007-9, it’s also a bit more than that sum at the moment (compound gains; any valuation rise applies to the whole sum).

Barring disaster, I’m in this for 25+ years – so who knows where it’ll end up…

avdave2

Move in with SD-253.

singletrackmind

Marine demand pump from your water butt to refill the cistern in the toilet.
    Brew your own beer.
    Tablet instead of PC for surfing t’intwerweb
    TV switched off , not on standby.
    LED / flo bulbs wherever possible.

SD-253
    Free Member

Make my own cider and perry with apples and pears I collect from within about 4 miles have 26 gallons on the go. Use a garden shreeder to chop the apples up does an excellent job. Have a bucket with a pillow case in to catch shredded apple. Replace immediately with next bucket. Put bag in household spinner which spins at 2700rpm seems to remove more juice than press. creda spiner best as it has pipe which can go straight into barrel or demijohns. Get demijohns on freecycle in winter as “that’s out of season and less people asking for them”. If you want fizzy cider put fermenting cider in bottles add a level teaspoon of sugar then . Wait 10 days and then put bottles in a large saucepan of 70c water. Put lid on wait 10 mins and take out. Kills the yeast but leaves the fizz.

peterfile
    Free Member

SD-253, I’m not joking when I say this, but you’re definitely my favourite STWer 🙂

I’m assuming you have a beard?

SD-253
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member
    Brew your own beer.

wow to far think of the local community have a heart. Remember there is also money to be saved there 😀

SD-253
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    SD-253, I’m not joking when I say this, but you’re definitely my favourite STWer

No ex para beards not allowed beards acceptable for ex marine 😀

SD-253
    Free Member

. peterfile – Member
    SD-253, I’m not joking when I say this, but you’re definitely my favourite STWer

PS not everyone would agree with you on this site

SD-253
    Free Member

4 gallons of elderberry wine on the go. Made 6.5 demijohns of Sloe gin when I remove Sloe gin I put in my cider to make Sloe cider. My favourite cider by far. Also my Rugby club agree. Although I am waiting for a return favour!

SD-253
    Free Member

toby1 – Member
    Don’t food shop hungry! Eat beforehand buy half as much.

I will give this one a try sounds like it may work. I use the bus when I go shopping in town as there is only one scheduled bus a week so I tend to over shop. Although I can’t remember when I last threw food away.

SD-253
    Free Member

I use the waste apple pulp mixed with chainsaw chippings (saw dust) to make compost rots really quick and good compost. Rats can sometimes be a problem. Make sure you screw down rat traps as one disappeared. Saw 3 legged rat about 2 weeks later suspect there is a link between the 2 events?

SD-253
    Free Member

Gave away on freecycle my PC as brother gave me his lap top. Woman appeared desperate as her kids needed it for home work then gave away huge crap but expensive chip board desk replaced with solid oak bureau bought and delivered for £70 will last a life time. Really give antique shops a look. Try and find a big one lots of seller saves time. Bought an ancient frying pan was extremely heavy with brass and wood handle only £8. Lots aren’t really antiques. Cooking gear really good place to buy. Quality at a fifth of the price.

SD-253
    Free Member

Ben_H – Member
    peterfile – Member
    £50k in ISAs? Are there not more effective ways of making £50k work for you or do you prefer the easy access to that amount of cash?

There’s no easy access – it’s all in stocks and shares ISAs. Since taking a massive dive in 2007-9, it’s also a bit more than that sum at the moment (compound gains; any valuation rise applies to the whole sum).

Barring disaster, I’m in this for 25+ years – so who knows where it’ll end up…

Over the long run you are almost certain to be on to a winner with shares as long as fees are low

SD-253
    Free Member

Mate gave me elderberry wine once. Left his house only got a mile before it blew up and redecorated my daughters car Ceiling had a sort of maroon camouflage look. Also redecorated there clothing. I was wearing brown clothing so didn’t matter to me. They saw funny side. And we all had a sip of what was left. So nice decided to make it myself. Never give it away as it doesn’t travel well

trail_rat
    Free Member

Benh – is that instead of a pension or something. Seems a bit extreme to save up 200+ k while living like a monk for any other reason.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Any Money saving tips ?’ is closed to new replies.