Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Any lincs based riders in here?
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Now living in the most mountainous county of all England 😆 I know local riding is limited. Where around the region do people go? I am limited on time at the 'mo so upto an hours drive is preferable. I have seen the belvoir loop and have heard the north wolds are meant to be jolly good to so where is recommended?

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Where exactly in Lincolnshire are you? I'm from Scunthorpe originally–a few bits and pieces up there if you're local.

Anthony
    Free Member

If you have a look on the bicycle mania website they organise events and you can download some of their routes that take you over the Wolds.

A lot of the riding can get a bit sluggish in the wet due to the farmland type paths. Oh, and it's really quite hilly in the Wolds!

If your aware of the Belvoir routes, have you seen the Viking challenge?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I live just outside of Sludgef er I mean Sleaford 😆 I have seen the Viking challenge and may give it a bash 😀 Will have another looksie at the bicycle mania website.
    Cheers 🙂

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I'm just outside Sleaford as well, think I'm going to just buy an OS map and see where it takes me.

topangarider
    Free Member

In Lincoln myself. Not really found a great deal of stuff to be honest. I normally end up going over to Sherwood Pines or the peaks on the weekend.

Hopefully looking to set up either a club (new or affiliated to a roadie one) or just organised rides/car sharing in those locations soon – will keep progress posted.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I came down here from Yorkshire so it is a culture shock 😆 I am going to treat my ss to some new pads and go over to Sherwood to see what that's all about. I feel my Hookooekoo may become unloved 🙁

ji
    Free Member

North Wolds is OK (I am in Louth) but possibly not worth the drive from Sleaford. If you are up this way, there are several routes around here which are fairly good, without too much road.

daim

I live in Grantham and a bunch of us ride in the Vale of Belvoir several times per week. Sherwood Pines at weekends.

momo

I didn't realise there were so many Lincolnshire based riders on here. I'm also based in Lincoln, and tend to ride in Sherwood Pines at the weekends, also have a little local loop setup, although its nothing exciting it does get me out on my bike!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Where does your loop go? or is it hush hush lol. Hopefully my ss will be battle ready again by the weekend. Thing is I haven't ridden in a month due to the birth of my son so my next ride will be err interesting 😆 When I finally go back to work next week, my commute on my fixie is going to be even more fun 😆

sofaking
    Free Member

Stamford here, a bit lower than you lot.

stumpy01

Market Deeping here – pretty much level with Stamford & right on the Lincs border – quickest 'proper' place to get to is Thetford for me.

Zone
    Free Member

Sherwood Pines, was a fantastic natural trail area… All it needs now is for them to put a roof on it… for them to completely **** it up.
    Thieves wood… fast single track loops.
    Doncaster has good stuff….. near the quarry and viaduct,
    Peaks of course. the main playground!
    Strawberry hill near Mansfield… fast sandy… good singletrack.

Viking challenge ends up as a mudfest most years.But can be great fun!

You could try the Tanyas challenge in the spring… that starts from Southwell… The black route is a fast, hard pack and high average speed and catches a lot of hardened riders out… Organised by a lovely lady called Anna… she started the whole Viking challenge thing.

The wolds is a bit hard to navigate.. but some good climbs.. hard work.

Wharncliffe woods… Sheffield! not for the faint hearted… play area for the likes of Steve Peat, Will longdon etc etc

Cannock chase… basically Sherwood pines… but with hills… more fun.Lots of dog shit though!

Belvior castle… can be surprising… bad weather can spoil it .

TooTall
    Free Member

There are a couple of wee loops around the Stamford / Wittering area marked on mapmyride.com – not that challenging but nice and interesting. The area around Old Sulehay and what was RAF Kings Cliffe has plenty to see – including the odd memorial at the last place Glen Miller and his Band played a public performance!

momo

It's not hush hush, but then it's not very exciting. Out of my front door, drop through the quarry at the bottom of my road, quite a few bits of singletrack in there to play on, out of the quarry and down to sustrans route 1, which runs right next to my office, out along there and then back along the road back to the quarry, works out at about 12ish miles, but can be extended quite easily (although only really on road), but like I say, it gets the legs spinning!

sheldona
    Free Member

Stamford here, a bit lower than you lot.

In a Niche of your own again :-0

sofaking
    Free Member

it just comes natural, what can i say 😕

daim

Bourne woods is good for the occasional blast.

sheldona
    Free Member

Like a wok??

topangarider
    Free Member

momo – is that the quarry on Greetwell road? and the bike track between the drain and the witham out to 5 mile lane?

If so, Which is your office? I'm in WPH!

daim

Contemplated doing the Viking Way sometime from Barton-upon-Humber to Oakham (147 miles)

stumpy01

daim…..is it?! I've only been there for a walk around, but it seems quite small. Can you make a decent loop out of it?
    Would be very interested to hear.

too tall – I will have a look at mapmyride for those routes you mention.

On the road I normally do a few miles around Deeping/Northborough/Glinton to add some distance, then Stamford on the main road & back via Barnack/Bainton etc. or I go to Bourne/Rhyall/Stamford & back.

boblo
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    <snip>
    On the road I normally do a few miles around Deeping/Northborough/Glinton to add some distance, then Stamford on the main road & back via Barnack/Bainton etc. or I go to Bourne/Rhyall/Stamford & back.

I bet we've seen you bombing around. That's our stomping ground. Big red tandem, wave next time you see us 🙂

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Currently using a 400m stretch of cheeky singletrack in rutland to try to restore my mojo. not even marked on a map let alone classed as footpath. i'm located around oakham way.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

double post

ace_sparky
    Free Member

I live in a village just north of Lincoln, the Wolds are where I do most of my local riding, most defiantly not flat 😈 I ride loops anywhere upto 60 mile and can usually get a good mix of xc/road about 70/30. Hard going in the winter though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Any lincs based riders in here?’ is closed to new replies.