Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Any ideas for re-enforcing shed roof ?
  • doglover
    Free Member

After my shed door got smashed in & inbred nicked last month I had a new reinforced door fitted & a bolt bar put on plus alarmed. The feckers tried to rip the felt roof off yesterday in broad daylight(!), fortunately a neighbour spotted them before they could do any real damage.

Has anybody any ideas how I could strengthen the roof ? It’s a small wooden shed so I know my options are limited to deter a pro. Thought about thick chicken wire on the window.

Neighbour said they looked 13/14, no doubt enjoy their holidays to the full.

Happy easter

doglover

brant
    Free Member

Should be reasonable easy to do some reinforcing inside with coach bolts etc? Big wood/metal/etc.

sharki
    Free Member

I’d stake out the joint and batter the **** senseless, then find out where they live an lay one or ten on their parents…..and kick their cat/dog/fish/rabbit in the bawls.

Ok maybe i’m overacting…..

Inbred456
    Free Member

How about using some big capacitors wired to a grid under the felt, something like a camera flash charging circuit, works a bit like a taser but not as powerful. Can give a nasty belt but not usually dangerous! Should put them off (the roof, that is!) B@stards.

doglover
    Free Member

Cheers, good idea, will have a look into that Brant.

Did think of camping out last night(!) Paranoia set in this morning, slept with the window open and woke up 6am in a mild panic.

Can’t believe they did it in broad daylight, guess they thought most people were visiting family on easter sunday.

doglover
    Free Member

Nice inbred456, was thinking along same lines! not sure how the birds/cats would enjoy it though !!

mogrim

Chicken-wire over the top of the shed roof?

macmclaren
    Free Member

or they just didnt give a fu@k.

I have an absolute hatred of theiving gypsy pikey scum that break in and nick your gear. i had 2 grands worth of kitesurfing gear nicked last year. Now honestly they couldnt sell it on cos its a very niche market and i know everybody close by, and they defo couldnt use it so im pretty sure it got binned or set on fire.

best to get into the shed and make sure its as secure as poss by trying to break in yourself and see where the weaknesses are. Unfortunatelly mate wooden sheds are pretty easy for pikeys to get into.

mrmo
    Free Member

razor wire tacked on to the roof?

doglover
    Free Member

Yes ilke the idea of very thick chicken wire over the roof, bent over the sides and secured to edges plus reinforcing from inside, razor wire might hurt the feckers, bless em.

mogrim

You could also stick some of those carpet nail strips under the eaves, that’d be fun for anyone who tried to lift the roof off 😈

MrOvershoot

I got fed up of the felt roof leaking every couple of years, so I re-clad the roof in 1.6mm sheet aluminium. 7 years later its still perfect.
    TBH its not got my bikes in so security wasn’t in my mind but you would have to lever the whole roof off to remove it.

footflaps

Use Builder’s Band to secure the roof to the side panel joists – run it up one side, over the roof and down the other side – either inside or out. It will hold it all together and make it hard to get through or prise the roof off.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Make an internal cage out of Unistrut Channel, and weld the joints. Then you can coach bolt the roof / sides to this. Should make any wooden shed a fair bit more robust.

Or buy a big hungry dog.

project
    Free Member

as above builders band, lots of screws, and possibly the use of dome head bolts, bolted through the roof into the joists etc, wrap the band obver the top and down the sides.

JB405
    Free Member

I’m insulating my shed between the frame work and then cladding the interior with 10mm ply screwed every 300mm. Whilst this may not stop them completely it will slow them down, it’ll also be really noisy to smash through.

Plus it’s quite cheap to do and it’ll make the winter bike fettling that bit more comfortable.

doglover
    Free Member

Thanks for the all ideas guys, great stuff. Enjoy rest of the weekend.

brakes
    Free Member

put a rabid dog in the shed

Si
    Free Member

Sniper?

Harry_the_Spider

Screw these to the edges of the roof. They can be cut down into single rows if required or bent round the corners of the roof.

http://www.thesafeandsecurestore.com/shop-by-brand/prikka-strip?gclid=CJvR_5Oc7pkCFQkEZgodd1-4Qw

I’ve got them on my fences and gate. They have kept the little feckers out of my back garden so far. They have kept the window cleaner out too.

One of the banks that I work with specify a sandwich of ply – mesh – ply to the underside of ceilings to branches where they have flats etc above. Same principal would work well on a shed roof.

JonBurns
    Free Member

I dismantled a shed in my back garden a few years back. The previous owner had put silicon sealant all round where the roof met the walls. It was an absolute pain to get the roof anf took ages. That would certainly slow them down and would be cheap to do.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Do the strengthening thing with coachbolts & plates. Maybe line the edges of the roof with silicon & broken glass (Small so no one complains about big lumps of glass but enough to shred someones hands). Maybe one of them cheap movement detectors inside like you get from Aldi etc. An alarm will scare off most.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Fix three quarter inch shuttering ply over the existing roof nailed down using ring-shank nails into the solid timbers. Re-felt.

They won’t lift it off and they won’t be able to smash their way through it. Use the ply over the window too.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

If the roof is made more secure they will go through the walls.

Nice bikes live in the house.

johnhoo
    Free Member

TBH if they’re really determined they’ll take the whole shed & work on it later

doglover
    Free Member

yes agree shed aint the best place, with a 1 bedroom flat it’s the only option at the moment, apart from giving up riding or shifting the g/f out to the shed…..mmmmm

thanks for the all ideas…will keep you posted.

gusamc
    Free Member

on a legal front anti vandal paint might piss them off

maybe that plastic coated 4″ wire mesh fencing applied to roof.

can you get a cctv with a view set up…

doglover
    Free Member

yeah anti vandal paint could be do-able.

Don’t have leccy down there for CCTV but thinking longer-term this may be a good option to at least give the police something to go on. Cheers.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Any ideas for re-enforcing shed roof ?’ is closed to new replies.