Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any gas fitters in the house?
  • andyl
    Free Member

I am renovating my flat and as part of the work I am having a new combi fitted so need to remove the back boiler. I am doing all the prep myself but before I do so I want the gas pipe into the house (meter in semi-outside space) disconnected. My options:

1. Not used the gas for over a year so the gas company will remove the meter for free but not for a few weeks. (can get a new meter for free later on).

2. Get someone in and watch them and see how simple it was.

3. Am I allowed to close the valve myself, run the fire to drain the pipe and then cap the meter and proceed to dismantle the fire/boiler?

I’m used to dealing with compressed air lines and plumbing gases you might say were a bit nasty…like chlorine.

While I am asking…I’m also going to be prepping a channel in the concrete floor to extend the pipe over to the nearest outside wall (about 2.5m). I am aware of the need to protect against corrosion and penetration and only solder joints (minimum required etc) and need for ventilation if using a duct etc but one thing I can’t find is depth. I am planning on making a plastic lined channel and then fitting a steel strip over the pipe. How deep does it need to be in concrete or if it has a steel cover can this be at the floor level with the pipe just below (wooden floor going on top)?

Oh and not going to be installing any gas pipes etc myself. Just doing all of the prep.

toys19
    Free Member

Despite how simple it is I am reasonably sure you need a gas safe engineer to cut any gas line. So 3 is out of the question..

Liftman

Don’t mess about with gas, get a certified gas engineer in and be safe.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You can’t go capping off your gas supply without having the relevant qualifications

By effectively creating a void, you may need to adequately ventilate the void to prevent a build up of gas in the event of an escape within the void

Trac pipe is expensive, but great for new installations.

Get a gas man round, get a quote for the pipework and ask what prep needs doing.

Incorrectly decommissioned back boilers that have fires left in front of them and in operation can go bang. In a very big way

andyl
    Free Member

Number 2 was my plan…until I was looking up gas pipe routing on the diy forums and they all seemed to do (and support doing) their own gas work and then getting a gas safe guy in to reconnect and safety check (for pressure loss etc).

Have now devised a new plan on where to fit the boiler so actually looks like a lot less floor chasing now so will hold off for now until I have run all the new pipework and chased out the bedroom floor for the new radiator pipes.

totalshell

okay gas safe reg 300144.. certainly do some prep if you want but i quote to do the whole job you’d save nothing by doing some yourself.

DO NOT remove the gas pipe yourself. sure like any job done by some one with experience and the right tools it looks simple and takes 4 minutes literally but you are not either of those.

the esential part of gas work is understanding the as is before you start work and ensuring the staus quo or legal minimums are met upon completion without training and tools you cant do that.

for example how do you know if by turning the valve off you have actually stopped gas passing through it? how do you know that once you have removed the boiler you have effectively sealed off the gas pipe? the answer is you wont/ dont.

gas is safe if managed by a qualified person it KILLS easily if not

sure a gas pipe can go in a concrete floor BUT it must be in a pipe with no joints..

there are a miriad of regs regarding the size depth in fill material so please get someone qualified in.

i’m happy with central heating hot water questions to advise on what and how to solve issues but gas is genuinely dangerous

as a guide we cut off gas supplies to appliances and make safe from £45 and lay pipe from £10 a metre plus labour @£35 ph.. its very little for piece of mind

totalshell

ps.. dont get the meter removed.. sure a gas transporter ( not the same as the person you pay your gas bills to) will supply a new meter if it feels it is appropriate and they may remove it BUT getting someone to fit a new one FREE is another issue altogether as your property would be regarded as a new supply and could attract costs of 600 -1500.
    no one will install any gas appliance until there is a gas supply it would be illegal as it could not be commisioned. removing the meter WILL significantly increase your costs..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any gas fitters in the house?’ is closed to new replies.