Home Forums Bike Forum Any Etape Loch Ness veterans in?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any Etape Loch Ness veterans in?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Not a fan of sportives generally, but fancy this one with the route and closed roads. A bit of a bucket list ride. Minor technicality that it’s 450 miles/8 hours driving away.

I’ve preregistered for next year. Current plan is to book a Premier Inn, drive up on the Saturday, ride Sunday morning, pootle round Inverness Sunday afternoon, drive back Monday.

Any practical tips and advice – unlikely to get any extra time off to make the journey more worthwhile, sadly.

scotroutes

Depending upon where you are, you might find a cheap flight.

If you don’t want to travel with your own bike then consider renting – http://www.tickettoridehighlands.co.uk can sort you out if you book early enough.

It starts early and you need to consider what clothes you’re going to be happy standing around in for up to an hour in temps of 5 or 6 degrees.

The only “big” climb is the one out of Fort Augustus. Remember that it comes in two segments and if you can’t hear the piper, then you’re not near the top (the descent is awesome though).

You’d think closed roads would feel safer but there’s all sorts of cycling shenanigans going on. Keep your eyes open.

Most folk forget that it’s closed roads. Don’t be afraid to zip past folk on right-hand bends when they’re all sticking to the left. FWIW I reckon that going the wrong way around the Drumnadrochit roundabout is slightly shorter/faster.

Although the start should see the fastest folk off in the first groups, there will be some slower cyclists in there too – the ones afraid of missing the cut-off time.

The road surfaces are generally pretty good. Standard road tyres will be fine (for me that means 28mm).

Water/food/service stops are pretty well organised.

scotroutes

Oh – the corner off the bridge in Inverness town centre leads you directly onto cobbles. If it’s wet, they can be treacherous. Take your time on the corner and try to avoid being near anyone else as you do so. You’re almost at the finish and it would be a shit place to end your ride early.

Registration is on the Saturday afternoon. There will be food/drink/merchandise available at that time too.

Enjoy the Dream Ring at the end.

stevious

Registration is on the Saturday so make sure you arrive in plenty of time – there’s no time to register on the Sunday.

Parking at the start/finish is a faff as well. Your life will be better if you can ride there & back.

It’s a great sportive and probably the only one I’ve done that I wouldn’t ride outside of the event.

thebunk

I did it this year as my first sportive/group ride/100km and I loved it (maybe not the climb). Am local but even so the scenery was stunning, it’s an incredible route. Did help that it was a very nice morning, if a bit chilly (ok, bloody freezing).

All good points above, you will need to get there on Saturday in time to register.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for the point about registering on the Saturday, might need to head up on the Friday.

It’s a great sportive and probably the only one I’ve done that I wouldn’t ride outside of the event.

That’s why I’m keen to do it, no way would I try and cycle the main road from Inverness to Fort Augustus without a road closure!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.