• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any Dorset dwellers? A question.
  • MrSparkle

We are down in Swanage for Charlie’s Bash. The Mrs wants to go to Poole on saturday morn to do the Parkrun there. It’s about 20 miles away and it’s a Bank Holiday – what’s traffic likely to be like? Ta.

mattbee

Hellish if the weather is nice.x

40mpg

Best off parking at the NT car park on the South side, getting the chain ferry to sandbanks and cycling in. Getting over to Poole won’t be too bad, but getting back will be horrendous by car.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

what time of day?

before 8? 30ish mins if you time the ferry right. getting progressively longer the later in the day it gets and if it’s sunny or not.

http://www.sandbanksferry.co.uk/timetable.php

LEAVING SANDBANKS
    (on Poole-Bournemouth side)
    Leaving Sandbanks at 0700 then 20 & 40 minutes after each hour and on the hour, until 2300

LEAVING SHELL BAY
    (on the Swanage and Studland side).
    Leaving Shell Bay at 0710 then 30, 50 & 10 minutes after each hour until 2310.

drlex
    Free Member

Yup- grocklebox frenzy; try to go as early as possible, esp. if the sun is out. Echo ferry suggestion.

MrSparkle

Thanks all. Event starts at 9:00 and we should be away before 9:45am

fazanders
    Free Member

You’ll be fine going over the ferry that way in the morning but if it gets much past 11 for coming back and the sun is shining I’d come back round the road way (Wareham/Corfe Castle). Be busy either way but at least you’ll be moving coming round the road instead of sitting in a queue! 👿

Keef
    Free Member

if ur gettin up at that time,keep the noise down,some of us will be sleeping ;-)……

what time u getting down there Fridee ?

bentandbroken

Just a thought for if its sunny (when it will be busiest)

Drive to the chain-link ferry (Swanage side) and park up

Go over on the ferry on foot and then catch an open-top bus to Poole bus station hoping off at the civil center roundabout for the Parkrun

To return either jump back on a bus or walk across the park to Poole Quay and catch the Brownsea ferry making sure you get the one that stops at Brownsean AND the chainlink ferry. Stop for a stroll on Brownsea if you fancy

Admittedly (probably) a more expensive way to do it, but it’s a nice area and the bus and boat trip options will show you some nice bits 🙂

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Out of the leftfield I’ll suggest the number 50 bus as an option: http://morebus.co.uk/service.shtml?serviceid=1563. It’s open top and gets to skip the queue at the ferry.

You’ll need the 52 to get from Sandbanks to Poole Park.

Edit: beaten to it

toby1

Or drive to car park at Shell bay, bike onto the ferry, bike to the park, bike back to ferry, away you go 🙂

MrSparkle

Thanks all. Got a bit of a clue now!
    keef – I owe you a waking up after the first night in Sant Gregori! It’ll be about 8 ish when we get there but we’re not on the main campsite, it was full. I’ll come and find you at some point on Saturday afters ideally about beer o’clock. ;0)

Keef
    Free Member

lol….. 😉

see you soon !

Muke
    Free Member

Quick local knowledge hijack, Have a couple of non cycling family members so how far approx to walk from Square and Compass back into Swanage ?
    Thanks

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’d say that was about 3.7 miles and would take about 1hr 10mins.

fazanders
    Free Member

All depends on how much they drink at the Square… I’ve heard of 4 hour walks home after a few ciders 8)

Muke
    Free Member

😀 Yeah the old apple juice induced zig zag. Would like a few drinks, so not driving, it was just deciding taxi or beer scooter.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kPJsh43euVE[/video]

Muke
    Free Member

Sorry another daft question 🙄

Is the ferry likely to be busy on Monday mid morning going Studland to Sandbanks direction or better to go by road ? I’m thinking most traffic is the other way in the mornings and then busy for the return late afternoon.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any Dorset dwellers? A question.’ is closed to new replies.