Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any chance of some help choosing brake pads?
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

Not the sexiest post on the forum tonight I'm afraid. I need some pads for my avid codes and am confused by the range of choice! It's been a while since I bought any as I tend to buy in bulk. So, anyone used the clark pads, are they as rubbish as I think they will be? At £5.99 they're really tempting. Also, the IXS pads here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34228 seem like a good deal but is it just that the picture is wrong? Did any Codes ever use pads like this? Mine certainly don't use pads like that!
    Last question, does anyone know which pads come with the retaining spring. If I remember right goodridge ones don't but I just can't remember!

I've been round the local shops and they don't have any for me so it needs to be off the internet.

Cheers for anyone who can overcome the banality of this post sufficiently to reply!

ivnickkate
    Free Member

http://www.discobrakes.com/

I use the sintered pads from here, and have had no problems.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

^Same. Seem pretty good pads to me, though they seem to be wearing out a little faster than the Shimano ones I had before, but they still work out cheaper in the long run.

Power wise I reckon they're near enough as makes no difference as good as the stock ones, even with the Hope ones.

The Disco Brakes sell Formula (sadly not the same company as Oros and The Ones) pads, which it doesn't say on the site.

By the way, Most cheap pads probably come out of the same factory in Taiwan, so the only real difference is going to be price.

sv

Superstar Components sintered for me, have ran several sets over the last 2 years.

stevemorg2

A2Z pads – woolly hat shop – excellent stoppers and cheap!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me I normally use original only. If I can't get any I will only buy pads from a major reputable manufacturer who has a track record in disc brakes. EBC, ashima etc.

I would not touch cheap brake pads from companies with no history – why try to save a couple of quid at the risk of your life?

I would never every buy superstar – the record of failures is appalling – and its not just one batch

adam_h
    Free Member

Superstar Components sintered for me, have ran several sets over the last 2 years.

Ditto, mine have all seemed to be fine and wear well.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Cool. The disco ones look like they might be worth a punt.

TJ, I know what you're saying, I normally use either avid or goodridge too but am interested to try a cheaper set. I'm not interested in Superstar, solely because of his customer service / attitude but lets not get into that topic even if it might make this thread a bit more intersting! 🙂

Has anyone had problems with the Disco ones? And feedback on the IXS's?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Doug – I am sure that some / many / most of the cheaper pads are fine. When my pad spend per year is under £50 then to save maybe £20 of that and risk that they will fail – its simply not worth it to me.

OE hope pads of course also come with new springs pins and clips which is good.

kaiser
    Free Member

recently tried koolstop …great durability and good stopping power.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Disco brakes in Shimano and Juicys for about 2 years. Not had a problem.

They wear out marginally quicker than EBC etc., but are about a third the price.

doug_basqueMTB.com

TJ, agreed. I spend a bit more than £50 a year though! I think that I went through about 10 sets last year. 😯

Right I'm buying Disco pads. I'll report back in a few weeks and let anyone know if they've killed me dead or anything. 🙂 I'm going to buy a set for 'in the camelbak' too.

Edit: that should read "an Avid set for 'in the camelbak' too."

bruneep

I'm going to buy a set for 'in the camelbak' too.

Your camelbak has brakes fitted 😯

doug_basqueMTB.com

Yeah bruneep, if you felt how heavy it was you'd see why it needs the special 203mm rotors too 😉

Northwind

I used Discos, they're OK, not as good as the Superstar ones though- not quite as powerful and they don't last as long. TBH I'd say go Superstar, for every complaint there's a heck of a lot of happy customers now it seems. The "dodgy batch" excuse is always bull****, without exception but these days the pads seem to be reliable, and they perform well too.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yeah bruneep, if you felt how heavy it was you'd see why it needs the special 203mm rotors too

That group shelter is brutal, eh? :mrgreen:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any chance of some help choosing brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.