Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Any car body shop type experts in? (I am a total idiot content)
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I reversed into a 7.5t wagon. What’s the prognosis and cost outlook to rectify it?

[URL=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/loddrik1/media/20140325_170229_zpsz0hjdyjl.jpg.html][/URL

Sandwich

An unusual choice of birthday present.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

New rear quarter panel I reckon, aka ouch…

Edit: I’m not a panel beater so hopefully that’s not the case.

bigyim
    Free Member

New quarter panel, repair the tailgate and new rear light. I’m glad I’m not paying for it!

loddrik
    Free Member

Tbh I think I’ll leave the tailgate as its not really that bad.

How much is a rear panel? Is it worth trying breakers yards?

flange
    Free Member

It’s a big job, not a bolt on part like a front wing (if you’re talking about the rear quarter).

You could probably have that repaired rather than replaced. A much smaller and thus cheaper job.

zippykona

You won’t get a rear panel at the breakers as they are welded on.
    I’m sucking through my teeth,its gonna cost.

andyl
    Free Member

a breakers? It needs the old one cutting out a new one welding in and then respraying. It’s part of the shell!

tbh I think you would probably want to go through insurance I’m afraid. 🙁

Could possibly be tarted up with filler and a spray job but it will probably look rubbish and I can see other ripples between the main dent and the window.

chewkw
    Free Member

How much will it cost to repair approximately?

Just want to know. 😯

loddrik
    Free Member

Can it really be repaired without replacing the panel?

tightywighty
    Free Member

I had virtually the exact same damage to the rear q panel repaired on my focus caused by a lorry, panel was not replaced. The guy said to me it was better not to as it’s virtually impossible to get the new panel fitting exactly as the old one did.

You cannot tell in any way that it has been repaired. Shut lines on the boot and around the doors etc exactly bang on.

Don’t know how much it cost as it was done under my insurance.

I’ll look for the photos later, I found the workmanship remarkable. I wouldn’t have believed it could be done without replacing the panel.

andyl
    Free Member

music is probably not what you want to hear but this gives you an idea of the worst case:

I’m not in any way good with bodywork and i hope I am wrong but I just can’t see any other way being viable. It is amazing what some of the bodyshop guys can do though. Best to ask around and get some quotes.

zippykona

Those fellas out in Cuba could mend it. A big garage will just want to put it through insurance and use as many bits as poss. Changing a rear 1\4 is a big job.
    A proper skilled panel beater could fix it but you will still have to strip it out and maybe cut a section out and reweld.
    That’s well stretched and I can’t imagine you can get behind the damage with a dolly when you are trying to shrink it.
    The glass will probably have to come out as well.
    Next time crash the front of the car.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to do it though the insurance but if we did, then she (or more likely me!) has an accident etc before the policy is up them she’d lose 12 yrs ncb which we don’t fancy.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Are you sure the bonus isn’t protected?

I’d imagine a potentially imperfect repair would be the wrong side of a bag of sand, and a panel replacement would be several…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Wait, renew, protect the bonus then claim. However I always see pnc as a waste of money because the first thing any new insurer asks is….

loddrik
    Free Member

It is protected. But more than one claim a year wipes it out. Or so I thought.

And won’t it hike prices for the following year?

sidders34
    Free Member

You need to check the policy wording but general protected ncb will allow 2 claims in a number if years. Then one more and you lose the lot. Even if unprotected it would steep back two years for one claim.

You will get the same discount at renewal but the base price will probably increase the base premium as you will be a higher risk.

Not an engineer but I suspect if it can be repaired it will be expensive and worth going down the insurance route unless you have a high excess.

Chris

dc11
    Free Member

Definitely a ‘teeth sucker’ that one. Chances are the insurance company wouldn’t want to go down the road of a new quarter panel either, the cost could (in their eyes) lead them to write it off.

tightywighty
    Free Member

tightywighty – Member

I had virtually the exact same damage to the rear q panel repaired on my focus caused by a lorry, panel was not replaced. The guy said to me it was better not to as it’s virtually impossible to get the new panel fitting exactly as the old one did.

You cannot tell in any way that it has been repaired. Shut lines on the boot and around the doors etc exactly bang on.

Don’t know how much it cost as it was done under my insurance.

I’ll look for the photos later, I found the workmanship remarkable. I wouldn’t have believed it could be done without replacing the panel.

Here you go, like I said, panel was not replaced. Haven’t got an after pic, but it’s perfect.

dc11
    Free Member

As above, a decent bodyshop will pull it out and work it as necessary. You may notice a slight imperfection afterwards, but I doubt anyone else would.

chewkw
    Free Member

How much? 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Ok in a MK1 Focus a vertical RSG leaped out as I reversed into a dark space at 7am on a Sunday morning.

Outside of insurance?

Get 3 quotes. I’d say £200+light off ebay (I broke stw pooks mk2 one once).

hora
    Free Member

Dent master first the refinished/part-filled then resprayed.

I also has a roof side rail etc dented and same again. Circa £200.

Light is virtually plug n play. Like a bike part.

If you want help/someone to bounce ideas off mail me.

dknwhy

For NCD you’re normally allowed 1 claim in one insurance year, no more than 2 in 3 years. If unprotected, you’ll lose 3 years not all of them. Insurers usually have a maximum of 5 years NCD although some go higher but to your insurer,you won’t have 12 years. 5 years is 60% discount so if you really had 12 years, they’d be paying you to insure with them.

dc11
    Free Member

Sorry to be the voice of reason but that isn’t being repaired for £200.

villageidiot
    Free Member

Repairable but looks about £350 -£400 + lamp , don’t even contact your insurance company unless you are 100% certain you are going to make a claim.

hora
    Free Member

Edit -ignore what I said. Thats a bad skin peel on the corner. 400 at a indie bodyshop. Lots of places put Cat C etc back on the road with worse damage cost effectively

njee20
    Free Member

Edit -ignore what I said.

Most sensible comment from you in a while.

Hora: “it’ll cost £200”
    everyone else: “no it won’t”
    Hora: “actually, it won’t”

🙄

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

When you reversed into a 7.5t wagon did you see this guy ?

Im joking okay so no bitchy digs girls !

Junkyard
    Free Member

njee it is better to admit an error that argue on. IMHO when folk change their opinion we should commend it not mock it as so few ever do on here.

loddrik
    Free Member

Light is only 25 quid off ebay. I guess I’ll have to tour local body shops but won’t have the cash for a couple of months anyway so maybe the world will have ended by then.

somafunk

Strip the rear quarter panel interior, use a porta power ram on the inside to pop the dents out, body filler, spray the rear 1/4 of the car dependant on paint type/quality and whether or not it’s a bitch to blend in, , new light cluster.

I’d estimate between £600-£800 done at a reputable back street bodyshop (not main dealer type operation).

spooky_b329

£400 sounds very cheap?!

I’d go for a respray and a well placed sticker:

chewkw
    Free Member

somafunk – Member

I’d estimate between £600-£800 done at a reputable back street bodyshop (not main dealer type operation).

£800! Ouch! 😮

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

That’s more than just a panel beater.. you’ve got sheet metal folds, seam tearing and distortion down the entire height of the rear 1/4.
    I’m no expert but it looks pretty complicated to fix with a hammer without welding in a pre made repair

They could probably weld on some pullers, pull the shape out and get it reasonably straight, but you’re still got to have that seam welded up.

Pop down your local body shops for a couple of quotes.

Ouch.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Just get a quote, rather than internet speculation.

As for NCB, given that insurers generally ask you if you have claimed in the past two years, I’m not sure it makes much of a difference (as wrightyson says)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

To give you an example on insurance, three years ago I had a £3000 claim, prior to this my insurance was £300, after some shopping around my renewal came in a shade over £400, then £370, it’s up for renewal in two days and bouncing a few quotes back and fourth have got it from £407 to £340 with scope to get it down in a bit more. Currently have 13 years NCB.

hora
    Free Member

Schrick 100% fault/50:50? Protected NCD?

Genuinely interested as I had a 100% no fault years ago and mine went up over the years that I was asked/had to declare it.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

100% fault with protected NCB.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Any car body shop type experts in? (I am a total idiot content)’ is closed to new replies.