Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any AutoCAD gurus out there – help!
  • ChrisE
    Free Member

Any AutoCAD experts out there?

I normally work on a DWG file that is a site layout and use that for picking off co-ordinates, dimensions etc for setting out. I don't really do any real drafting.

I am normally OK working between paperspace/modelspace etc to do the little bits that I do, but obviously all co-ords etc are picked up in modelspace.

The new job for tomorrow has just been sent to me and I can't se anything in the modelspace, the modelspace only goes to a certain extent. Help!

is there anyone I can email the file to and you tell me what I'm doing wrong. The Architect has used a non-ACAD program to do the drawing but that is quite usuall (from past experience)

Chris

ChrisHeath

Are you sure the elements are drawn in modelspace?

I had some architectural drawings recently that were converted to autocad from another package and all of the elements were in paperspace…

andywill

I don't use autocad but I can try reading the file into my systems & see what happens.
    email to Andy at williams-net dot co dot uk

ChrisE
    Free Member

ChrisHeath,

if that's correct then the drawing is pants! how are we supposed to set out from that!!

Andy, email on it's way,

C

Haze

Can you do a ctrl + 'A' in model space to see what comes up in the properties tab?

Should tell you if there's anything in there…

I'm in a different trade to you by the sound of it, can I assume your 1:1 details should be in model space and your scaled drawing in paper space?

ChrisHeath

if that's correct then the drawing is pants!

No argument from me on that.

how are we supposed to set out from that!!

If you have a topo xreffed (or even inserted) into your drawing, and the architects site layout has some common elements, then cut the architects elements from paperspace, paste it as a block into modelspace, move it to a common point, rotate it based upon a second common point, and scle it so that it's 1:1.

Not that I've had to do that before with architects layouts or anything…

scruff
    Free Member

Zoom extents, the Ctrl-A to see if it picks anything up.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Haze,

you're right, there's nothing there. How p-poor is that!

sounds like I might have to bodge it as Chris Heath said.

C

J0N
    Free Member

+1 Scruff.
    Many architects will scale the drawing when sending or work in meters so when you import to ACAD working in mm it is tiny.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Chris Heath,

did that moving it all about, pasting it into model space. I used the 'align' command.

Thanks all for your help

C

swamp_boy

Sounds like its been done in another package, I often get sent drawings that don't work right in AutoCAD for that reason. Often have to do the metres to millimetres rescale. The one I really hate is when they arrive with the scale set in inches.

On a slight tangent is there a way to make viewports any shape other than rectangular in LT2008?

ChrisE
    Free Member

It's easy in ACAD, assume it's the same in LT?

on the layout sheet and in paper space draw a circle,

then,

View, vports, object, then select the circle (or whatever shape). that's it!

Chris

swamp_boy

Chris. Thanks just tried but in LT there's no object option, all it can do is create rectangular ones, it can't convert objects. It will work with other shapes if they are in a drawing created in another version. Bit of a shame but for what I do its not enough to warrant shelling out for full ACAD.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

LT can only do rectangular or square veiwports.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

What version of Autocad?

In older versions, If the drawing is in pure 2D and your view type is set to 3D wireframe nothing will be visible. Change visual style to 2d wireframe to see everything.

Is the layer with the drawing on hidden or frozen in modelspace?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any AutoCAD gurus out there – help!’ is closed to new replies.