Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • Any advice on starting a trailbuilding/mtb club in Edinburgh.
  • bigthunder
    Free Member

Yes there is and thats what the feasability study done by pete laing is all about.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bigthunder – Its not legal to build trails in a nature reserve without permission.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Who are you to say that? If the fella’s talking to Rangers then it’s for them to assess and decide, which’ll have more clout in the circles that matter than your opinion on this thread. Your opinion and the comments stemming form it are just going to antagonise and irritate.

Honestly, there’s so very little in this world that is ever “absolute”, though I doubt you can accept that.

You’ve entirely missed my points regarding engagement and communication with people, which is the issue. The fact I don’t know the hill is mostly irrelevant. Can’t you see that trying to brow beat someone about one issue won’t then convince them to engage with works elsewhere (as you asked him to become involved in earlier in this thread)?

You’re not talking you’re just shouting down with your internet fingers in your ears (a good trick when typing).

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Is the feasability study publicly available BT? Who commissioned it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheeky monkey.

it is absolute FFS. this is a nature reserve. Without permission you cannot build trails and no permissions have been granted.

I tried to engage constructively with Bigthunder by suggesting other places where he could do this sort of stuff but he is insistent on doing illegal works in a nature reserve where there is already conflict with other users.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Now we are getting somewhere. Its not illegal to rake up leaves or move a stone though is it? Break off a dead branch and throw it for your dog? The simple fact is that trails are going to happen there. The rangers can give permission I can supply resources all I want to do is get it all together so everyone benefits and not just mtbs. I take it yer still not gonna come play and see for yerself?

bigthunder
    Free Member

Yeah the feasability study is available and was commisioned by the countryside rangers. They will send ya copy but its 8mb so plenty space reqd. It takes about a week to get hold of it.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

a) The fella says he’s talking to the Rangers. Good oh, first rule of trailbuilding – get the land owner / managers permission.

b) Yes, I know what you’re thinking, BUT HE’S SAID HE’S ALREADY BUILDING TRAILS, but he’s invited you out to see what he’s talking about as there’s “BUILDING TRAILS” and “building trails”. Take some time with that one, eh, it demands some subtle perception.

c) A feasability study has been mentioned, which I would have though you would have Googled the arse off by now and selectively quoted to high heaven.

d) If that really was your attempt to engage than might I suggest you reconsider how you go about it? Just because you say it isn’t so and then he doesn’t immediately falll into step you then bang on and on and on that it’s ILLEGAL.

Please note I’ve not mentioned RLJing yet.

Ooops!

Hey ho

bigthunder
    Free Member

Whats rljing?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Red Light Jumping

TJ hates people doing anything illegal. Unless it’s him. And he knows best 😉

BT – you may or may not be right, your plans may or may not be doomed. Heavenforbid in TJ’s posts there might actually be the occassional gem of useful stuff. Whatever, good luck, I hope you achieve something, somewhere 😎

Personally, I always try to end up on the legit route as it makes it much less likely anything you invest time and effort in will get pulled out.

If you ever want to check out what we’ve done (internet or real world) see: http://www.singletraction.org.uk

Good luck with IMBA and Roz. On the occassions that I’ve met her she’s seemed like one of the good ones.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheeky monkey – I know this site. I have a bit of a grasp of the law as it pertains to mountainbiking and land use.

to do what bigthunder is doing is not responsible as defined in the law, he does not have permission to do so, the area has alraeady got conflict between other users and mountainbikers.

bigthunder is insistent on continuing to do this.

This is the sort of activity that could easily spoil the access we now enjoy.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Tj – you have no idea what Im doing because you wont come see it. Your comments are useful and I dont mind an argument but yer not right on this one. Yet again meet me,come see what Im talking about and then see where it goes. Im going to meet the rangers and roz as well and do the same thing so come along with them if ya want. Dont know the dates but I can keep ya posted.

bigthunder
    Free Member

You are also not answering my points. Someone who has a grasp can explain whats illegal about raking leaves or moving a stone surely?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bigthunder – I do know what you are doing -you are building trails without permission and insisting on continuing to do so.

You should not be doing this. concentrate on legal activity, help those of us who want to do things sustainably and legally.

techyallmountain
    Free Member

Some kids built a not very discrete cement jump right in the middle of a walkers path on Corstorphine Hill. Is that the sort if thing you mean by trail building?

The area has a very natural feel to it and it should be left that way for walkers and families to enjoy without fear of being run down by speeding bikes.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Techyallmountain – no thats not what I mean. Thats exactly what I want to harness as well. I dont want to stop trailbuilding I want those kids out helping me to build responsibly. Have a look at the vid mentioned earlier and tell me if that seems like vandalism.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bigthunder – this is the point you won’t accept – without permission there is no responsible building of trails. Everything you build is irresponsible and illegal

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can’t find the vid but I just looked at the stills on that link.

absolutly bang out of order. digging holes, concreting in stones.

bigthunder
    Free Member

I also mentioned that I walk my dog up there with my kids and I have no desire to be run over by speeding bikes either – but its happening and should now be managed in a responsible way. Well built trails with proper signage for a start. Tj I just cant be bothered with you anymore. Ive covered yer points time and again, youve been offered the chance to see for yourself,Ive approached the rangers about this etc etc. I now just dont care what you say. Shame that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You think digging holes and concreting in stones is acceptable and responsible. 🙄

You have not covered my points

Yo do not have permission to do this
    You are digging holes inthe land
    you are using concrete FFS to build in features

bigthunder
    Free Member

Only got my phone the now and not techy enough to do a link but when I get a mo I will post a pic of that in context and as a finished article. Further pics will follow Im sure and I will do the same with them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh context is you are digging holes and using concrete to build trail features in a nature reserve.

There is plenty of stuff to ride on the hill legally and responsibly. Digging trails like this is irresponsible, illegal and ruins the goodwill we have.

I know the rangers on corstorphine hill spend time and effort removing stuff like this.

bigthunder
    Free Member

You know nothing of the context until you come see it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bigthunder – using concrete and digging holes in a nature reserve is wrong. Creating new trails, causing erosion by removing the ground cover.

Thats the context.
    to claim that is responsible is breathtaking.

Please please please for the sake of us all stop doing this illegal and irresponsible trail building in a very sensitive nature reserve.

winstonsmith

jeremy – i’ve met you and i know you’re not the quite the same as the person that appears in posts like this.

the guy has said that he’s trying to speak to the rangers and he appears to be willing to meet with you and be a fairly sensible human being.

sadly you just keep arguing with him and refusing to see anything other than your side.

why not meet up? and then post your take on it all afterwards. you have nothing to lose

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Winston – have you seen the pictures of what he is doing? I am sorry but digging up a nature reserve, creating new trails and concreting in blocks is outrageous

I do not need to meet up with him. Nothing he can say or do would ever lead me to believe that is in any way acceptable to do.

bigthunder
    Free Member

I extend an invitation to anybody to come ride here. Not to prove/disprove anything but just because its so good. The trails are a bit tricky to find so local knowledge is handy. I dont want to post a route but if anyone wants to ride it themselves I can send you rough directions. I stay 5mins away from the hill and have done guide rides and skill sessions. And walks when I was injured!

techyallmountain
    Free Member

It seems that you’re concentrating on CH because you “live 5 minutes away”.

This is extremely selfish. You’d be better concentrating your efforts somewhere more suitable where it will not annoy people and damage a sensitive environment.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

and here come the sanctimonious histrionics ……..

pfft!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheeky monkey – do you really think creating new trails from scratch by clearing ground cover, digging up the ground and concreting in blocks is acceptable in a nature reserve where there is already conflict between mountainbikers and other users?

Have you seen the pictures of what he has done?

You admit you do not know the area. I do. I have ridden there for 20 years

MrAgreeable

Just to reinforce what CM is saying, MTB trails and nature reserves are not incompatible. We’re just about to get a new one in Bristol which is built in a nature reserve, and parts are in SSSI to boot.

This is despite years of unsanctioned trail construction at said site, some of which crossed over into silly territory with shonky wooden bits, shady jumps etc. If it’s done correctly, it can be done.

If there’s a problem with unsanctioned trail construction, the land manager may choose to manage that in differing ways depending on the site, the extent of the problem and what resources they have available. It also depends to a certain extent on who you are dealing with but they may take the view that it’s better to have it going on under their noses than behind their backs. They may decide they want to ruthlessly destroy everything you build, but it’s not a done deal.

It’s always worth talking to the people in charge of managing a site as the perception of what they are like and the reality may be miles apart. It’s also worth persisting and trying to build up a relationship. The ideal scenario is that you could agree some terms of use and even get these in writing. The worst case scenario is that you hip them to the existence of a bunch of really good trails which are then decommissioned. Again I don’t know the area so it’s your call.

AlasdairMc

TJ – probably best you don’t admit to having ridden there for 20 years if bikes were banned for a decade prior to the LRA… (both things you said in this thread) 😀

However, while the OP presents an near-altruistic picture of ranger involvement, responsible trail building and so on, it doesn’t really excuse the images in the link. If the trails are in the nature reserve area, which from description they would appear to be, then the responsible trail building argument falls over completely.

scruff
    Free Member

TJ- Just think of all the erosion you have caused over 20 years. A bit of trail amouring , altering trails around watercourses & improving drainage can lessen the future damage and makeit more enjoyable to ride (he is seeking approval ffs ) same as you hope to acheive elsewhere.
    Bit of rock in the ground- so what? Being near a major city I would imagine quarrying has happened there for thousands of years.

BikePawl
    Free Member

I’m led to believe the Craigmillar park trails have had issues over land ownership (multiple land owners)
    Edinburgh Leisure are looking at developments at Birdiehouse burn
    They have a survey out at the moment.
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N6WFXSY

GW
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

I’ve never managed to get in touch with the Bonaly diggers- there’s some on SDH I think- Pinkbike 😉

GW
    Free Member

Alasdair – bikes weren’t banned (dunno where TJ got that from)

MrAgreeable

do you really think creating new trails from scratch by clearing ground cover, digging up the ground and concreting in blocks is acceptable in a nature reserve where there is already conflict between mountainbikers and other users

You’re starting to sound a bit like Michael Vandeman now.

bigthunder
    Free Member

No matter where ya want to build a trail its always going to be sensitive. Its not selfish because lots of people want this not just me and anything in the sensitive areas of the hill Im already against. The feasability report has already identified areas that are non sensitive. Also discussing this with the rangers will help to stop this. You can never stop irresponsible trails but as Ive said maybe creating a club will help to bring it all together which is the aim here. These (selective)pics show patch up work and when I get a mo I will show the finished article. No new trails were created and nothing interferes with walkers paths. I can also post pics of patched up walls and neatly cut and weeded areas that I tend and noone else does except a 74yr old man. Vandal that I am.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – there is two areas on the hill that are used for trail building with the tacit consent of the rangers that manage the land. Both full of jumps and stuff. There is also a network of paths that are legal to ride plus many rock outcrops and the like for technical challenges.

All other built MTB trails are removed routinely.

This is a small area of land – a bit more than a mile by 1/2 mile in the suburbs of a city. It is a nature reserve.

It is under pressure because of the amount of usage it gets. there has been conflict over the years because of unsanctioned trail building such as the OPs. The unsanctioned trail building is used as an example of how irresponsible the MTBers are and used to a attempt to justify an MTB ban. this is in part why MTBs were banned there for years until the LRA superceeded the ban.

Alistir – I didn’t ride on the hill in the years of the ban

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GW – Member

Alasdair – bikes weren’t banned (dunno where TJ got that from)

there were certainly signs up saying bikes were banned for a few years in the late 90s to the LRA came into being

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Any advice on starting a trailbuilding/mtb club in Edinburgh.’ is closed to new replies.